Lt. Commander
# 1 Is Star Wars Science Fiction?
02-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Hello fellow STO-ers! I've been doing a bit of research recently, and I thought I might include you guys too! I know how intelligent you all are, so I'd love to read your input on this topic. And before you ask, yes, I'm a fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek... but of course I love Star Trek more! Now, try to eliminate any biases before discussing this please...

(Copy-pasted from some random Star Wars forum that I've been using.)

Thanks guys!!!!

"Good morning, everyone!

I'm not trying to start any arguments, but I do want to try and start an intelligent, compelling, and productive discussion on this topic.

I am currently working on a research project for my Master's program that involves which category of fiction Star Wars falls under.

What do you guys think? Is it purely Science Fiction? Do you agree with the classification of Space Opera, even though Space Opera is a relatively undefined or uncertain category? Or would you even go so far as to say that Star Wars could even be considered Fantasy?

I'm discussing only the original trilogy, if that information helps... primarily "A New Hope."

We have knights, swordplay, "magic" powers, good versus evil, etc. etc... So, in its very basic form, the plot line could easily fall under the category of Fantasy. I know that we do have space as a setting, aliens, distant worlds, space ships, futuristic weapons, and all of those Science Fiction pieces, but they are not necessarily a major part of the plot. They are simply things that the characters interact with throughout their journey. I'm focusing on the core plot elements here, not props and scenery. Please keep this in mind when deciding what to classify Star Wars under.

Thank you for your responses, I look forward to reading them!

Also, here is a link to the survey I have created for this project if you want to take that as well:

Is Star Wars Science Fiction? - Survey

All of these responses will be used to support the credible sources and articles that I will be using. This gives my project a more "personal" feel to it, and also provides me with statistical data to utilize in support/contrast of my thesis. Thanks again!"
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2011, 01:35 PM
You want to debate the classification of a Star Wars movie/movies on a Star Trek forum? /headdesk

There will be blood. Less glow batters more ponies!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2011, 01:37 PM
In general, Science Fiction fiction can be classified under a variety of other fiction genres, including drama. Trying to sort it all out - gives me a headache.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
You want to debate the classification of a Star Wars movie/movies on a Star Trek forum? /headdesk

There will be blood. Less glow batters more ponies!
Haha thanks for the response. Yes, I'm "excited" to see the results. I know they'll be interesting, but hopefully not too interesting! Star Trek fans are far superior to Star Wars fans, though, so I know we will all be capable of discussing this in a very compelling way.

Besides, I'm trying to prove that Star Wars should not be classified as Science Fiction here. I think we can all appreciate that on this forum.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
In general, Science Fiction fiction can be classified under a variety of other fiction genres, including drama. Trying to sort it all out - gives me a headache.
I said more ponies!

*jumps onto Archie's back* YAW! *spurs*
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2011, 01:39 PM
My full answer would be too philosophical and religious to be posted here, but the short answer: yes, it's more science fiction than fantasy.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfaery
Besides, I'm trying to prove that Star Wars should not be classified as Science Fiction here. I think we can all appreciate that on this forum.
Your premise for hosting this discussion is completely and scientifically flawed then. As a host or the responsible party for impartially gathering data is to be beyond opinion. You must lets the facts and evidence tell the story. in short, you need SCIENCE!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
I said more ponies!

*jumps onto Archie's back* YAW! *spurs*
*transforms into a Global Hawk drone and hits Mach speeds in 20 seconds*

If she doesn't fall off from the sudden acceleration, she will once the Gs get to her.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
*transforms into a Global Hawk drone and hits Mach speeds in 20 seconds*

If she doesn't fall off from the sudden acceleration, she will once the Gs get to her.
Weeeeeee! You are almost as fast as my Spunicorn! Faster faster faster!
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Of course it's science fiction: laser swords, laser pistols, spaceships, etc.

Just because it found an original way of presenting (largely ripping off fantasy, mythology, and Japanese cinema) doesn't mean it's less science fiction.

It's like saying Firefly isn't science fiction because they have pistols and rawhide.

Remember, works of fiction can occupy multiple genres.