Lt. Commander
# 21
02-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfaery

I am currently working on a research project for my Master's program that involves which category of fiction Star Wars falls under.
Just curious, exactly what Master's program involves studying whether or not Star Wars is "science fiction?" Master's of Geekery?

Also, where do I sign up?!?
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-15-2011, 01:37 PM
This all sounds to me more like a psychological experiment in stimulating nerd rage among various fan bases than categorizing a film. It'd surely make a more interesting paper....
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynKnight View Post
George Lucas himself classifies Star Wars as a Space Opera.

Space Fantasy, Sci-Fi, whatever you wanna call it, hell even Space Western...It has elements of all those things...
If it was space Opera would Princess Leia look more like this? Muahahah
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Space Opera is a subcategory. You can't find a Space Opera section in your local video store.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Space Opera is a subcategory. You can't find a Space Opera section in your local video store.
Yup, Jabba Leia ate it.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manx View Post
I've always called it 'science fantasy'; meaning a fantasy story/adventure in what would be considered a sci-fi setting.
This I can agree with. The 'science' bits are less based on science and more on magic.

Force powers is basically magic. No explanation given (and if you say midichlorians, I will cut you because that whole movie was terrible) besides "It's everywhere". The force is the biggest offender in this regard, but there a few other 'science' elements I found lacking. For instance, Han Solo found a shortcut through empty space. A parsec is a measure of distance, not time.

So many fantastical elements in the story. Don't get me wrong, Star Wars 4-6 were a good watch, but it was as much science fiction as The Hobbit was.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Star Wars is Mechanized Fantasy.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus_Prime View Post
Star Wars is Mechanized Fantasy.
I agree with this. There are parts of Star Wars that are science fiction-ish, but overall it is typical fantasy trope: farm boy from small village discovers magic powers, rises up against dark evil wizard, OH A TWIST, big wizard duel, evil wizard killed, redemption for evil second in command ... just about every fantasy story ever written. Princesses, rogues, wizards, knights, swords, tall-ship combat, magical plot-devices, evil empires, noble rebellions, crossbows -- I mean bowcasters, oops -- on and on.

A lot of Star Trek is fantasy, too. But it gets away with using techno-babble, as always! And at least Q isn't magical so much as very, very evolved and advanced. But, then, you know, midichlorians or whatever. Haha, Lucas.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Han Solo found a shortcut through empty space. A parsec is a measure of distance, not time.
Ah, the SW novels fixed that one. The "Kessel Run" was a route taken around a black hole while smuggling. Making it in "less than 12 parsecs" means that his ship was fast enough to get closer without getting sucked in.

I think Star Trek is at least as offensive on science as Star Wars. Kes (and dozens of other characters with similar abilities) might as well be Jedi. Just about every sentient lifeform in Trek is a humanoid. Yeah, I know, they had a cheap TNG episode that explained it with life being seeded by some precursor race. People all speak English, and though they have universal translators, their lips also speak English.

So anyway.... may the fan without err cast the first stone, or somesuch. :p Hort just relaxes and enjoys it.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Tv/Movie space-based sci-fi almost always verges on being wholesale science fantasy, however Star wars is firmly science fantasy.

It is, at it's heart, a sword and sorcery tale with a bit of space plane dogfights mixed in.

As for Star Trek, yes that's science fantasy too.

It all comes down to whether or not you think something should be described as a fantasy, when using fantastic plot devices, such as warp drive and hyperdrive.