Lt. Commander
I recently sent the following post in private message straight to the EP. I post it here un-edited in the hopes that it will generate some thoughtful commentary, or perhaps bring about a very necessary change, one that may bring me back.

I intend to lurk the forums after my time is up, because I do hope that things get better. I honestly want to play this game and enjoy it. It's why I bought it. I don't make it my routine to go buy things I think I'll hate. (Penny Arcade readers will know what comic I'm referencing.) Having said that, no you can't have my stuff, I may return if things improve.

The message, for your consideration -

Quote:
Subject; To the Executive Producer
Quote:
By common definition of the title, executive producer is one who is in charge of the project, without being involved in the technical aspects of the production. Hopefully this proves true in this case, as I am rather hoping the buck stops with you.

A quick glance at my recent forum posts would demonstrate a rather negative view of the game, and a distinct lack of hope for improvement. Despite this, I had no intentions of quitting. I had every intention of staying, and riding it out, to whatever end awaited me.

That changed today, and I believe you not only deserve a full explanation, but absolutely -need- one, one that you can give to the people under you, and outside of your direct control. One that will give you a strong case to bring about a very necessary change.

My explanation is as follows.

As a casual observer of the phenomenon that is the Star Trek universe, one who doesn't consider themselves a particularly big fan, I tried my very best to ignore the obvious schism between the Star Trek mission statement, one which says in essence that it is of exploration and discovery, and the Star Trek game, one which says we are all suddenly space marines.

I did my best to ignore mission after mission that were contrary to everything I'd ever seen in any Star Trek episode, and quietly served my time killing basically everything I came across. I ignored the sinking feeling in my stomach that told me I was no longer a space marine but a common brigand, raping and pillaging my way across the galaxy.

I tried, very very hard to set aside the Star Trek name, and enjoy the game without it, but it is something I, as a gamer, and as someone who has an ounce of respect for a well told story, can no longer do.

It grows increasingly obvious to me with each passing second (killing doctors) that the content developers have never seen a single episode of Star Trek (shooting everything that looks at you funny) or simply do not understand that "Artistic License" (killing unborn Jem'Hadar) does not equal just cause to ignore decades of well thought out, (complete lack of diplomatic or less lethal options) well told (Almost every mission turns into a thoughtless bloodbath) science-fiction story.

I could put up with the lacking content. I could suffer through a years worth of glitches that didn't get ironed out in beta. I can deal with server queues and down time, and crashes, and interface errors, and lacking skill/item/power descriptions.

The lack of a single good writer on your staff is something I will suffer no longer.

I bid you farewell, and wish you the best of luck, may you someday make me eat my words.

~ Asrayl
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Bye. Can I have your stuff? :p
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-18-2010, 09:36 PM
You freely admit that you're a "casual observer" of Trek and "not a fan," yet you're going to lecture people on what is and isn't Trek?

Tell me, OP, have you heard of Section 31? Do you know who and what they are? If not, I suggest you look them up, and re-evaluate your definition of what is and isn't Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrayl View Post
I post it here un-edited in the hopes that it will generate some thoughtful commentary, or perhaps bring about a very necessary change, one that may bring me back.
It won't. These threads never do.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidethfreak View Post
You freely admit that you're a "casual observer" of Trek and "not a fan," yet you're going to lecture people on what is and isn't Trek?

Tell me, OP, have you heard of Section 31? Do you know who and what they are? If not, I suggest you look them up, and re-evaluate your definition of what is and isn't Trek.
I said I wasn't a "big fan" I don't go to conventions dressed in uniform, I don't speak Klingon, and I've never trained in the art of the Vulcan Nerve Pinch.

I know enough about the subject, about the shows, about the series, the books and the story to know that Starfleet does not make it their mission to shoot everything that moves. You don't need to be so angry about this, just open your eyes and take a good look.

As for Section 31, it's the "black ops" branch of the operations, right? The things that don't normally get published in research journals. I was not aware that I was a member of that group. I thought I was a Starfleet officer, you know, dress in a uniform and do the works that are publicly acknowledged? Maybe you and I are playing different games entirely.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Different timeline. Different Trek. Thats how it is.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-18-2010, 09:41 PM
@OP

This is the kind of crap that I have railed against in other threads. This isn't your Star Trek, it isn't mine it is what it is a Star Trek game. You can't apply your morals to this game anymore that I can. Sure, I think you should have the choice either to be diplomatic or to vaporize the snot outta the enemy. What shouldn't happen is that the choice be removed or kept away from people. People like you don't want to give choices, you want it all to be like you think it should.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrayl View Post
I said I wasn't a "big fan" I don't go to conventions dressed in uniform, I don't speak Klingon, and I've never trained in the art of the Vulcan Nerve Pinch.

I know enough about the subject, about the shows, about the series, the books and the story to know that Starfleet does not make it their mission to shoot everything that moves. You don't need to be so angry about this, just open your eyes and take a good look.

As for Section 31, it's the "black ops" branch of the operations, right? The things that don't normally get published in research journals. I was not aware that I was a member of that group. I thought I was a Starfleet officer, you know, dress in a uniform and do the works that are publicly acknowledged? Maybe you and I are playing different games entirely.
Actually play through the game and you'd find out you are.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-18-2010, 09:46 PM
To be fair.

OP's letter has merit.

Point being...IF...the ST world were to be as bloodthirsty as STO is it would have been.
There are elements of ST that were dark and evil such as S-31, but those people were vilified in the show unless you forgot.

If Cryptic's intention was to create such a bloodthirsty game they should have.

1. Spent the time in writing the tone to make it justifiable. Give us some rage such as Vulcan being destroyed by Romulans
2. Set the game in the mirror universe
3. Have actions that allow you to make those hard choices.

I don't think it is so much about the killing or the violence it is the fact that we are FORCED into the killing and violence when the CONCEPT of ST is there is always room and opportunity for peaceful solutions.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-18-2010, 09:46 PM
I particularly liked this line from the OP:
"I ignored the sinking feeling in my stomach that told me I was no longer a space marine but a common brigand, raping and pillaging my way across the galaxy."
This is a big complaint of mine across the entire MMO"RPG" genre.

In the long run, it really doesn't matter what kind of character you think you're trying to roleplay because in the long run all you're REALLY roleplaying is a crazed serial killer. If the game were happening for real, you could expect the following conversation:

Kirk: "We've got to go down there and kill everyone!"
Bones: "What? Why? Just leave them alone. It's not like they're hurting anyone."
Kirk: "We have to kill them before they kill us!"
Bones: "They won't even shoot at us if you don't go too near them!"
Kirk: "Kill! Kill them all! HAHAHAHAHhaha....ha....*whump*"
Bones: *puts away hypo* "Geez, every day with this guy, it's the same old thing."
Closed Thread