Lt. Commander
# 1 On the bridge view
02-15-2011, 01:55 AM
I think it would add a little more fun to the game to have a tactical view from the bridge watching the view screen during combat for those of us who would like it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2011, 02:21 AM
I'm afraid this subject has been done to death in the early days of the game. I really can't see it happening as it would require an entirely new alternate interface for space combat that would need to be integrated with the current one. Far to much work for a niche preference.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2011, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
I'm afraid this subject has been done to death in the early days of the game. I really can't see it happening as it would require an entirely new alternate interface for space combat that would need to be integrated with the current one. Far to much work for a niche preference.
This

And too be honest: At first I was hoping we would get a fighting system similar to Bridge Commander, but now I'm quite happy how the system works.
I even quickly realized that being the Captain instead of just a BO is the best solution they could find
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
Kind of occurs to me that if this keeps coming up enough to be "done to death" (and I've seen several posts along these lines in the short couple weeks I've been back visiting from different people) that perhaps, maybe just maybe, this ain't niche.

Seems to me you can't have it both ways.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddjobXL View Post
that perhaps, maybe just maybe, this ain't niche.
I agree with this.

Like, just entering my Bridge makes my ship stop moving. I was really hoping that the bridge would be more then just a room/eye candy.

Not having even basic flight command on the bridge is a draw back imo, and not just a luxury option for certain niche players.

/signed
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2011, 09:44 AM
There are massive technological hurdles to overcome for this to be possible, both on the software and hardware side of things. This is not as simple to implement as it would initially appear for an MMOG.

In the far future, sure. In the intermediate future, maybe. In the near future, very unlikely.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2011, 11:05 AM
The cheap way with a simple overlay would take just a few days.
The full, complete on the bridge fighting, well some months with a different engine. With this one, just a couple of years. Around the time, the average gaming rig will be 3x as powerfull as current top line computers.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2011, 11:12 AM
In space you are not just your captain, but your entire ship and crew. The viewscreen only shows those on the bridge what is happening on one side of the ship. The crew has seperate sensors and consoles giving them a full view of what is around the ship. A weapons officer can target ships behind and around the ship, far outside the narrow view of the viewscreen. In STO you play as all these people working together, so your view outside the ship is a combined look of all the information the 50-1000 people on your ship have. IMO it would be horrible to fight with just a small narrow window in one direction. If you want to play bridge commander go play it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkmaster3k
In space you are not just your captain, but your entire ship and crew. The viewscreen only shows those on the bridge what is happening on one side of the ship. The crew has seperate sensors and consoles giving them a full view of what is around the ship. A weapons officer can target ships behind and around the ship, far outside the narrow view of the viewscreen. In STO you play as all these people working together, so your view outside the ship is a combined look of all the information the 50-1000 people on your ship have. IMO it would be horrible to fight with just a small narrow window in one direction. If you want to play bridge commander go play it.
That is the most common negative reply in threads like these. I have just one question:
Have you actually played STO in "viewscreen" mode?
I did, and it was nothing like that.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Well in time with how tech is growin and graphics cards grow to ease the burden. Time can only tale. They should not just kill the idea. They are being payed by us to do make this game enjoable. The should not be forced to do it. But they should not count it out either. I've seen free games I'll try to find it when I can that allows you to view in and outside your ship. Plus it's multiplayer to. You can enter planets atmosphere with out problems and everything. The only draw back to the game is you can not walk around planet do to the fact it has no ground units. Giving up is so useless. Technology well pass sto and kill it in less then 5 years if it does not keep stuff like this on the drawing board. Such dark thinking is what kills games and eventualy it will kill all mmorpgs. I just hope they keep the bridge view in mind. Do not give up devs. Tech is getting better. There is always a way to figure out how to take a large problem and turn it into a small bug. Quoted from a courtesy of a my Drill sergant. We heard that we accomplished an impossible task. If I could successful with my team invade a small training ground with out being caught. Then you guys can figure this out. DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!!!!