Lt. Commander
# 11
02-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frak View Post
So you're saying:

1) I have my BOffs as I do now.
2) Then I will also have duty officer assignments.
3) My BOffs can be duty officers, but they don't have to be? And being assigned or not being assigned as a duty officer will not affect them?

If that's true, what other resource of officers do I have to assign to a duty officer slot other than my BOffs?

Also, why would we keep "bridge officers" as a separate thing once the Duty Officer system is in place? One assumes a lot of the slots that would exist would be on the bridge...
I think you'll be getting units which represent "teams", basically, like a BOff only it represents a group of personnel lower on the totem pole who you can assign your BOffs to oversee. These teams will provide bonuses and can go on missions with your BOffs that you don't personally take part in.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Not that I know anything about the Duty Officer system, but in Star Trek (I think) most bridge officers are duty officers, but not all of them. For example, Tuvok (Voyager) was the Chief of Security and had a tactical station on the bridge, Geordi (TNG)--as Chief Engineer--was mostly seen in Engineering, but B'Elanna (Voyager)--as Chief Engineer--was regularly seen on the bridge, O'Brien was Transporter Chief (TNG) and Chief of Ops (DS9) and he was an enlisted officer, and Dr. Crusher was rarely seen on the bridge, but McCoy (ToS) was sometimes seen on the bridge--more in the movies though.

So, it would make sense that not all duty officers sre bridge officers since bridge officers attend Starfleet Academy and need to take an exam before they are able to become bridge officers while enlisted personel can become department heads based on experience and skill.

I could see there being a lot of overlap, but if the system will be implimented similarly, it would be pretty cool and allow for a lot of variations. Though it does beg the question: Will we get more officer slots? Or will duty officers have their own slots, freeing up bridge officer slots?
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salami_Inferno
Here's how it works:
  • Boffs can be trained and assigned to positions on your ship.
    • Chief Medical Officer
    • First Officer
    • Chief Engineer
    • Etc
  • There are separate NEW crew members that are your duty officers
    • These guys fill out your ship's duty roster and give you passives, crafting unlocks, etc
    • These can not be bridge officers
Thanks very much for replying, Salami. That helps.

Having clarification is heart.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frak View Post
Yes, I quoted that post in my original post. Far from helping me understand, it's confusing me more.
your boffs can be department heads, and duty officers can staff positions under them, or you can just let duty officers fill the head and staff slots seems the way it is going.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-16-2011, 04:22 PM
To help clarify in game terms...

Bridge Officers are fully featured pets that you can customize, level, and take on away teams.

Duty Officers are predefined crew that occupy an org chart on your ship to perform a specific function (add a bonus). They are not customizable, they do not level up, and cannot go on away team missions with you.

Where some confusion might be coming from is the idea that we want duty officers to perform assignment missions. An example would be - send these 3 guys to go find stuff. an hour later they return with stuff. You did not accompany them, it all happens outside of view in the background. While the three are gone you cannot use them for anything else.

For now, Bridge Officers and Duty Officers do not mix. This may change in the future, but right now they are two completely different types of crew.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Curious, how is this going to stand with the various types of Bridge officers (Green, Blue, Purple)?

Meaning do players have to stock up on Purple BOs to get the best abilities or common (white) candidates you get from ESD might have some rare properties on their own?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-16-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm hoping that DOs are available from Aid the Planet and other missions where they might add special buffs like reducing transwarp cooldown times and such...
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
To help clarify in game terms...

Bridge Officers are fully featured pets that you can customize, level, and take on away teams.

Duty Officers are predefined crew that occupy an org chart on your ship to perform a specific function (add a bonus). They are not customizable, they do not level up, and cannot go on away team missions with you.

Where some confusion might be coming from is the idea that we want duty officers to perform assignment missions. An example would be - send these 3 guys to go find stuff. an hour later they return with stuff. You did not accompany them, it all happens outside of view in the background. While the three are gone you cannot use them for anything else.
My Bridge Officer can therefore be assigned to Chief Medical Officer.

While I also have Duty Officers that are assigned under her in Sickbay which are not themselves actual officers/pets.

Thanks very much, dstahl. I appreciate you replying personally.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-16-2011, 04:28 PM
from what I understand, the system will also overhaul the method in which you get boffs/duty officers
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-16-2011, 04:31 PM
This sounds a lot like the idea for the Agency game (is that still being made) where you assign your Q branch to research a weapon or something and they do that while you play. Having different operatives gives you different kinds of things you can research. Sounds good.
Closed Thread