Lt. Commander
# 1 Star Trek Online App?
02-16-2011, 09:14 PM
What do you guys think about a iPhone or android App for Star Trek Online, where you can :

- Check and sell items in your inventory
- Post items on the exchange
- Make alterations to your ship
- Manage your skill base and BOPs
- View and chat in The Ingame Chat
- View and edit your mission que

iPHONE & ANDROID APP:

This I think would be awesome for many of us who are always on the go. Allowing us to access our Star Trek Online account from a smartphone would bring a level of playing Star Trek Online. No longer would we have to spend hours working on our inventory, selling items on the exchanage, etc. in game which takes alot of time away from playing missions and PVP. What if we could do the above while on the bus to work or school, on lunch, at the DMV, etc. on your smartphone? I also think it would increase the player base in Star Trek Online. What do you think guys?

Dan Stahl - Let me know what you think - *Edited out by WishStone - NEVER post your email in public, for your own sanity.

ANOTHER TOPIC:

Also in the future... what do you guys think about bringing Star Trek Online to The Smartphone /Tablet market. Onlive already has a app where you can view live games being played Onlive. They mentioned that 'soon' you will be able to play top titles such as 'NBA Live 2011, Just Cause 2, etc.' on your smartphone soon. Onlive I think is the future of gaming. Bringing console level games to the smartphone and tablet market is going to change everything and bring a new player base to MMO that become a part of it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2011, 10:38 PM
I've been working on a STO app in my spare time and have managed to get most of the exposed information working, ie

Email
Friends
News
Events
Server Status
Tickets

I am curently working on the My Account section and hope to finish off later this month.

-------------------------

Most of the content that you are asking for would mean exposing aspects of the game that could be open to exploits such as the WOW Web Auction house facility which is known to be exploited by gold farmers (and we don't want them back now do we)

While Onlive is a good service, I think that playing STO on a mobile would be an exercise in futility without heavy modification to the UI and controls. The other problem is the lag using a 3rd party server would make the game unplayable (I've tryed playing STO at work by Remote Desktoping my home PC and "LAG" was an understatment)

With the development of the new generation of high powered SOC tablets and Microsoft's intergration of the next version of Windows for these devices, we could see tablets capable of running STO outright in the near future.

Yes and App would be great, but personaly I would much rather see the devs working on game content rather than an app to check the AH.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2011, 11:25 PM
In game chat is already available to anyone on a smart phone (grab an xmpp client and yer golden)

Same with tickets and mails :p

As for playing STO on a phone.. yeah no don't see that happening. I wouldn't wanna have to use a pencil to hit all my power keys :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
In game chat is already available to anyone on a smart phone (grab an xmpp client and yer golden)

Same with tickets and mails :p

As for playing STO on a phone.. yeah no don't see that happening. I wouldn't wanna have to use a pencil to hit all my power keys :p
LOL agreed. Forget pencils, toothpicks are more like it. :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2011, 11:51 PM
I won't lie, I'd love a good Star Trek Online app like you described. Though with possible exploiting issues as mentioned above, I don't think it would be worth it unless they could possibly prevent these problems. Of course, I know nothing about how apps work or the like. I just use them. :p Something like Saje is currently developing sounds great, though.

STO on mobile devices would be interesting, but it would take a lot of effort to get it to play effectively on a small screen such as that. I played it on my iPad once, and let's just say it was an interesting experience(though I could see a future in the device for this kind of gaming). I can't imagine playing it on anything as small as a smart phone, but I guess some people have patience.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2011, 11:54 PM
I'd recommend not leaving your personal email address in the OP.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Champ Online, why not STO
02-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanNYGUARD View Post
What do you guys think about a App for Star Trek Online

I think this is a fantastic idea. Did you know there's a Champions Online app (iPhone)? For free, too. At one point you could check your friends list by logging in, I don't know if this is still true.

What's true is that , at the very least, a basic template exists for a potential STO iPhone app.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I'd recommend not leaving your personal email address in the OP.
His home address is fine.
Lt. Commander
# 9 iPad?
02-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Quote:
STO on mobile devices would be interesting, but it would take a lot of effort to get it to play effectively on a small screen such as that. I played it on my iPad once, and let's just say it was an interesting experience(though I could see a future in the device for this kind of gaming). I can't imagine playing it on anything as small as a smart phone, but I guess some people have patience.
I'm just wondering how you played in on your iPad, did you use Logmein or a remote program like that? I'm thinking about getting an iPad and would love to play STO on it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared1701 View Post
I'm just wondering how you played in on your iPad, did you use Logmein or a remote program like that? I'm thinking about getting an iPad and would love to play STO on it.
I used the splash top remote desktop viewer, though I am wondering if there's somethng better I could use.

For more info and how it went down, here's a Stranded in Space(before it was remastered) run. The description should answer some of the questions you may have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUX4Cmrjk90

(bear in mind the first few seconds of the video, which I forgot to edit out, my iPad was not responding to the touch commands for some reason. :p)
Closed Thread