Lt. Commander
# 111
02-17-2011, 02:29 PM
I thought it was a decent movie up until they killed Data. You CANNOT kill Data and then NOT bring him back in canon. Plus it tried to be a whole Wrath of Khan thing but kind of failed.

I had nothing to do with an "unpleasable" fan base. That's a flimsy excuse for a poorly executed movie. Some fan bases are much harder to please but they can still be pleased. Lucas for instance blames the lack of love for the prequels on an "unpleasable" fan base but the fact is he just failed to please a "difficult to please" fanbase. The Knights of the Old Republic storyline was arguably the best since the Original Trilogy and of course if you make a character like JarJar it's not going to sit well...
Lt. Commander
# 112
02-17-2011, 04:29 PM
@ OP: What darren said, and it is not just Star Trek fans, who hate it.

@ dStahl: ROFL.

Regards,
Rachel
Lt. Commander
# 113
02-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderchase View Post
I quote this because this is how I feel personally.

I like some movies more and some movies less, but I flat out hate J.J.s trek.

In all I found Nemesis ok, but to be honest, I never liked the data sub plot. I find it sad that B4 was allowed to be alive, but then suddenly he starts to become his younger brother as the memories come back. I think if Data truely had any humanity in him (which he proved with his sacrifice) that he would eventually reboot so to speak, find out what he did and how he saved everyone, and then build himself a new body and give B4 the chance to live and to grow as he and lore were given.

I say this because, even if no one else in the whole galaxy knows how to make a posotronic brain Gerodi and Data do, I mean they were constantly messing with it. And they even installed an emotion chip. I mean after having the emotion chip and studying it for an entire year before installing it I think as smart as Data was he could build another one of those too.

I also disliked the ARGO scene.
You know, that is pretty much what happens in the prequel book to STO. Geordi unlocks Data's memories, but they start overwriting B4, so Data tries to forcibly destroy himself. Geordi tries to stop him with details about how he is needed to combat the Undine, and then B4 (who reads it on its way to Data) tries to destroy himself, realizing Data is needed more. It ends with Data in B4's body (upgraded to fit him better) and B4 existing as a hologram within the Daystrom Institute. At that point, however, they couldn't build a new body at all. Given that we are getting (eventually) an Android race in STO, I'd imagine that problem would be remedied and B4 would get a body again.

Back to my original post. Okay, I can understand why people hated Nemesis. As I've said, I agree with most of your complaints about it. They just weren't enough to make me not enjoy watching the film. As for the newest movie - well, I loved that one and don't get why people aren't excited about the prospect of more movies period. But I'd rather limit myself to opening 1 can of worms a week, so let's save that for another time.
Lt. Commander
# 114
02-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I can't remember when I've enjoyed a review more. BTW, I liked ST:N after the release of an 'uncut' version. The theatrical release was a disappointment but I have a soft spot in my head for Star Trek stuff. What the heck, if it's a rainy Sunday afternoon and i hven't much to do, I'll let myself wtch a rerun of "Spock's Brain" from TOS.
Lt. Commander
# 115
02-18-2011, 12:09 AM
The Argo case scene was the stupidest sequence in any Star Trek.

What's the logic behind it?
Lt. Commander
# 116
02-18-2011, 01:02 AM
The premise: Captain Picard runs into his defective clone who needs him for medical reasons yet Picard is reluctant. This wouldn't have even worked with Shatner.

Would have made an interesting short story or novel anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 117
02-18-2011, 05:06 AM
Honestly this was an attempt to grab people who aren't into Trek using the same principles as the J.J. Abrams film, but not as well. The Onion did an interesting video when the new Trek came out about how no fan of the series would like it because there were explosions and no scenes with people talking for 30min at a time about pointless philosophy. Many of the people I know who don't like Star Trek but actually tried to watch it say that compared to other sci-fi brands like Wars or Firefly, it's just boring. Too much pontification, too few explosions.

Nemisis tried to address that and instead just ruined the exprience. I was just a teen when this movie came out, and when I saw it in theaters at the time I didn't hate it, I kind of liked it. Watching it now though leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Too many things in it just don't make sense.

Something that the review didn't bring up is Data's death. Why did he need to die? Am I supposed to believe there was ONE transport device? On a ship with replicators! Fine, let's say there was only one at the time and they couldn't replicate another with the state the ship was in. How many times have we seen a phaser set to overload or linked with a tricorder to be a proximity or remote triggered device. Now you're going to tell me that Data couldn't set the damn thing to overload and jump back?
Lt. Commander
# 118
02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
I was checking deleted scenes for Nemesis.

I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0zXx...eature=related

and these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmRnu...eature=related

and this I suppose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptYKK...eature=related

This is the reason it feels less TNG than TV. Compared to Argo (although I did like Argo, heck anything with those characters).

They seem to have added what they thought would get audiences not realizing that the only people who really go to these films are the fans.
Lt. Commander
# 119 The biggest problem I had
02-18-2011, 01:46 PM
was too much Brent Spiner. Data got so many stories in TNG that it would have been nice to do a movie that wasn't Data centric and then when Data dies, B4 is a crew member and singing Gilbert and Sullivan.

If it would have just been "Death of Data", fine. Best TNG movie: "Insurrection".
Lt. Commander
# 120
02-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Nemisis was a horrible movie because it did to Romulans what Voyager did to the Borg...

...not to mention the bad script, bad plot, bad everything but the CGI.