Lt. Commander
# 121
02-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostamojen View Post
Nemisis was a horrible movie because it did to Romulans what Voyager did to the Borg...

...not to mention the bad script, bad plot, bad everything but the CGI.
Some people would disagree.

And to be honest....with the crappy budget ST:N got there were limits automatically.....if ST:N got JJ Trek's budget....well we would have had a beyond epic movie instead of a good movie.
Lt. Commander
# 122
02-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormMk3 View Post
Am I supposed to believe there was ONE transport device?
Worse - it was something Geordi cobbled together on his own time; because he thought it might come in handy one day. (talk about plot mcguffin/deus ex machina).
Lt. Commander
# 123
02-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
if ST:N got JJ Trek's budget....well we would have had a beyond epic movie instead of a good movie.
How so?

Nemesis had plenty of special effects.

Save for being sullied by the Villain Sue of the Scimitar, the nebula battle was one of the better ones in Trek, showcasing actual Z-axis awareness and halfway-viable counter-cloaking tactics. But that's emblematic of the movie as a whole. Something that could have been awesome, but was sullied by nonsensical and awkward details stemming from lack of production competence rather than budget.
Lt. Commander
# 124
02-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
He doesn't Hate Star Trek... he just Likes Star Wars better....

He's said that he never Watched Star Trek as a kid.
Whoa whoa WHAT!?

I didnt know that. That explains a LOT. Like every time I encourage them to do better and be the BEST MMO out there, I get stone faces from the devs. They dont want STO to be the BEST, they are all secretly gunning for a Star Wars MMO gig.

A lot of people made some great points about Nemesis I never thought of. Ill bring up something else. I recall reading before Nemesis was out where Patrick Stewart was gushing over writer John Logan and how he was so Trek savy and knowledgable, and how he'd stop them from doing this or that, because he thought of this or that that had happened in an episode. Funny now in retrospect that Logan clearly had no superior Trek canon knowledge at all. I get what he was trying to do with Picard and Shinzon, I just think for it to have had more effect, it needed to be drawn out over a few episodes, not fit all that into one movie.

I recall walking out of the theater very sad and distraught over what they did to Data. It overshadowed the epicness of the space battles and the Data Space Jump. Even though I understood the thing with the actor getting too old. Still, it stung WAY to much. And now we know, THATS how it ended for TNG...[face_sobbing]

My dream for the Foundry is that one day, there are so many great Foundry writers, that STO fans will want to play Foundry missions over the writing of the Cryptic featured episodes, lol. Then we'll see who the REAL Star Trek writers are.
Lt. Commander
# 125
02-18-2011, 04:06 PM
There were moments I had the feeling Patrick Steward was just done with Picard......like 'pulling teeth' done.
Lt. Commander
# 126
02-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Nemesis wasn't a bad movie; it just wasn't a good one. It needed a couple more rewrites to take out some of the stupid put in there, like the Argo bit. They also needed to either remove or retool the B4 subplot, since it is only there to give Data the ability to say his line later to Picard about how Shinzon is not the same guy.

It gets a lot of hate because people try to compare it to Khan even though the two movies are dealing with entirely different issues at their core.
Lt. Commander
# 127
02-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGNT009 View Post
Whoa whoa WHAT!?

I didnt know that. That explains a LOT. Like every time I encourage them to do better and be the BEST MMO out there, I get stone faces from the devs. They dont want STO to be the BEST, they are all secretly gunning for a Star Wars MMO gig.
*smacks self in the forehead* he means J.J Abrams who - in several interviews - stated that he thought Star Trek (as a whole) was dusty, boring and nonsensical - who wants to spend 30 minutes listening to a Vulcan and some Android 'logically' debate some pointless topic? His objective was to bring modernization to the plot as well as more 'current' sci-fi trends

What he ACTUALLY did was copy the graphics of BSG and Star Wars. The plots of Nemesis and WOK. Combine the ships from pre-generations and post-generations (basically the ******* child of the sovy and the conny mk II) and youth the crew by some ten years - leaving something of a feel of 90210 in space

As most Trek fans will state, this movie is solid - I myself believe Nemesis itself to be 'solid' as is Insurrection and (yes) even New Frontier and the Motion Picture. They 'stand' (some more wobbly than others admittedly) and if you look past the flaws (new Kirk being unable to even hold his head up in a fight) you've got a good movie... even WITH the flaws its a good movie (turn the screen off when the new conny is onscreen and 2009 is actually better) but if you focus on those flaws you will very quickly be unable to watch the movie without complaining
Lt. Commander
# 128
02-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis_Wu
I can't remember when I've enjoyed a review more. BTW, I liked ST:N after the release of an 'uncut' version. The theatrical release was a disappointment but I have a soft spot in my head for Star Trek stuff. What the heck, if it's a rainy Sunday afternoon and i hven't much to do, I'll let myself wtch a rerun of "Spock's Brain" from TOS.
The only thing better than his ST reviews are his Star Wars reviews, and his Avatar review is brilliant too
Lt. Commander
# 129
02-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Does anyone remember that one website that discussed all the plot holes by providing a summary of the movie with the aid of screencaps? I've been trying to find it ever since SyFy started running the movie ad nauseam. It perfectly lists all the flaws of the movie. I really should have had that site bookmarked...my favorite part is when it describes how Shinzon needs a blood transfusion asap, but waits a crapload of time making Picard wait, and then talking to him forever before finally abducting him.

The phrase that describes Nemesis the best is missed opportunity. Great concept executed extremely poorly.
Lt. Commander
# 130
02-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Nemesis was bad because it was a poor copy of Wrath of Kahn.

Kirk faced a genetically engineered super being; Picard faced a dark copy of himself, a weak commentary upon nurture versus nature.

What made it such a failure was that while Kahn and Kirk, both men of action ready to seize the moment, Picard, and therefore Shinzon, were both men of words; primarily talking the opposition to death.

Kirk versus Kahn is epic.

Picard versus Shinzon is like watching a debate about how high oneís hedges should be.