Lt. Commander
# 11
02-16-2011, 11:38 PM
it gets hated on just like every other star trek movie including the awesome JJ Abrahams movie:

because Star Trek fan #122211244555 has evolved to the point where he/she believe unless they personally oversee the project, it's not really star trek.

I for one make popcorn, sit back, and just enjoy the damn show.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-16-2011, 11:41 PM
The Voyage Home was simply Free Willy with a starfeet crew and a Klingon ship. Those box office numbers don't even look right.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
it gets hated on just like every other star trek movie including the awesome JJ Abrahams movie:
Awesome? It crapped all over TOS and wrecked two timelines, the original through the destruction of Romulus (kudos to Cryptic for salvaging that) and the new one through the destruction of Vulcan. The reimagined Kirk and Spock are crappy, being promoted from cadet straight to captain is *censored*, the story requires you to read a prequel comic to make halfway sense of it, not mentioning that now they brought out another comic to explain where Nero was for 25 years with the Narada. Of course he got psychic powers through drugs and met V'Ger who told him how to find Spock.

"Awesome" is the completely wrong word.

Nemesis is awesome when compared to Abrams-Trek. But simply bad when compared to anything but Insurrection. It rehashes the plot of WoK adds cheap action sequences and shock effects, mocks the viewer (oh, let's show a picture of Picard as a cadet, but our audience is dumb, so let's show him with a shaved head, otherwise they won't realize it's Picard). Grrrrrrr.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-17-2011, 12:52 AM
I've heard it may be related to a concept know as: "unpleasable fanbase"
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Oh noes, its the never sleeping dstahl drone! Don't you need to regenerate yet?
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-17-2011, 12:56 AM
There was a real missed opportunity with this film

There's a theme that was sorely wasted, as in are we products of society or born to be the people we are, ie nature verses nurture?

Shinzon was of Picard's DNA but had a very differet upbringing, and therefore was a different person. This is defineately the nurture camp.

However wouldn't it have been great if, at the end it was Shinzon who makes the sacrifice, not Data... a last minute change of 'soul' and nod to the idea that we are who we are through undefined properties in our make up that the environment can't change.

That would of been far more epic ad made him less 2 dimensional
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
My only problem with Nemesis is that the Director had complete contempt for Star Trek as a whole...
Exactly right. That's pretty evident from Baird's DVD commentaries.

Quote:
What the Hell did we need a 10 minute dune buggy chase for??
That wouldn't have been so bad if, it had been a 24th century buggy with inertial stabilizers. At the very least, the rear mounted BFG9000 should have had a targeting stabilizer. It probably shouldn't have been ripping up the indigenous flora and fauna. Or at least Picard shouldn't have been gleefully ripping up the indigenous flora and fauna with it.

Throughout the TNG series Picard has been defined by his discipline and attention to duty. The Picard in Nemesis simply rejected those concepts.

Worf, the consummate warrior, shrieked like a child when a hand grabs his ankle.

The list is long and infuriating.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Quote:
OH SNAP!

I actually thought it had more to do with the conversation heavy story and lack of action as to why people hate it so much. I thought it was a good trek film, and in any other Sci-FI skin it might have even been great.
Lt. Commander
# 19 nemesis sucks
02-17-2011, 01:09 AM
I didn't like the Data substory - in the end it became completely pointless as Data was basically "back" (tho in limited form) (why go thru the whole thing of Data's death, only to have him come back?)
The dune buggy thing was also completely pointless and out of "trek" character.
The director was a complete ass and a bore - listen to his commentary on the DVD. As other actors have pointed out, he had absolutely ZERO interest in Star Trek and you could see that come across in the movie.
The Shinzon/Picard thing was also weak (as others have pointed out - there was no connection with this "nemesis", he was some test tube baddie brought about by covert romulans - very scary.....not)

The only positives I can think of from the movie: romulans (and seeing remans) and the space battle at the end (very well made CG).

In my mind, it is the worst Trek movie, I would put it as worse than trek 5 (with the big head god creature).

(As a side note, reading original stories etc on both nemesis and #5, they started out with fairly interesting stories, but got corrupted by too many "cooks in the kitchen")
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Yeah. Kinda like how women who reject my pickup attempts are lesbians.