Lt. Commander
# 31
02-17-2011, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychus_Findley
The only movie even remotely tapping into the Trek spirit, is ironically the Motion Picture. The only real movie where the unknown is trully indulged and explored. It had more of a "Rendezvous with Rama" concept (from Arthur C. Clark) and it was easier to follow.

By far my favourite movie. Every movie after that was purely visual effects and one liners. I normally just skip between battle scenes :p
I agree TMP has a special place in my heart I also love the new Director's Cut (the remade scenes are brilliant). I also love the soundtrack! (best trek soundtrack too, it's an experience in itself when listening to it, creating such a wonderful soundscape).
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-17-2011, 02:14 AM
It is all about Shinzon being Picards clone. Everyone of the TNG fans seemed to hate him. But not for being the enemy, as for perverting the idea of being Picard.

Well this doesn't work for me. I thought he was great. He was "What if..?" and I liked it. The passion, the unreason. There was in the Series in an Episode once told about the younger Picard, who lost his hard in a bar fight with some Nausicans. Those complainers forget abut how the young Picard was. Actually Picard mentioned it in a dialogue with Troy in Nemesis.

The buggy scene, as I first thought, while seeing it, I was proven right that the most of the viewers won't understand it. You should've viewed the making of and the passage about this scene. "The kids are out of the house, Picard is free again" so to speak. You all complainers didn't get the character of Picard ever right. He is formed to be a Diplomat and an Archaeologist, but his true soul is almost identical to Kirk, cunning, vicious, smart and a daredevil. This is Shinzon! Captain Picard is an elder, wise man, ant that is why he does not have to rely on most of this attributes. That is how we met to know him, but none of the complainers thought, that he could be totally different. Why is he so mannered? Because he got wise past through his life.

Shinzon never had that opportunity, and that fore he went totally wrong. He became the total opposite, the perfect enemy for Picard, the Nemesis, and what do you know, the Movies been called "Nemesis"

Beside this, the main theme of the movie never was about Data. He is a side story in it. He did not have his Nemesis in B4, because his Nemesis was Lore. B4 was only the bait for Picard.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-17-2011, 02:17 AM
Nemesis does feel a lot like a rehash of Wrath of Khan with a TNG skin, allthough i really really do enjoy Insurrrection.

But to be blunt, Nemesis storyline sucked and overall was not very "deep".
Just as one example you never get to find out "why" the "Remans" are interested in destroying earth.

That said, i do think there is only one strong point of nemesis.... it has some of the coolest space combat of the franchise.
But i really like where Cryptic is taking the Nemesis/Trek 2009 story arc, now with the Remans struggle for freedom and the usual plots of the Tal Shiar.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-17-2011, 02:23 AM
For me ...
  • Dune Buggy was just stupid
  • No effort to make Picards clone actually look like Picard
  • Data Dies at the end

These moments nearly top the cringe-moment in Insurrection where Riker uses a Joy-Stick to fly the ship manually
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
But to be blunt, Nemesis storyline sucked and overall was not very "deep"
If you ask me, it was more pacing than the story itself. Lot of potential there, but the early part of the movie was a haphazard rush to the space battle, jumping around with little to no transition.

People compare it to Wrath of Khan, but WoK did a couple things differently: It took longer to get to the space battle, and it tried to fit less into that time.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-17-2011, 02:34 AM
To me, Star Trek is Star Trek. There's not a movie or TV series I dislike, and I don't know why it's become custom to hate at least one.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-17-2011, 02:46 AM
I liked the first two TOS crew movies, rest was lame (and the bigger the number, the lamer the movie).

As for TNG movies... I don't know. I liked Nemesis in a way, but suddenly introducing Remans was quite a shock. Shinzon looked like angsty teen set on revenge for dad not allowing to use his car on his first date and the Remans in the tight leather suits... I dunno.

On the plus side, the Scimitar is the most badass looking ship in the entire Star Trek, I loved it. Also the idea of Enterprise ramming it was cool, even if a bit odd.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-17-2011, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
I've heard it may be related to a concept know as: "unpleasable fanbase"
Oh, I'm easy to please. There's only one thing I really, truly hate about STO for example. "Divide et Impera". Otherwise it ranges from awesome (a lot) to okay (a few). And with the featured episodes and the remastered ones it's getting even more awesome. I have the secret hope, that remastering will fix Divide et Impera.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-17-2011, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klingorion View Post
The Voyage Home was simply Free Willy with a starfeet crew and a Klingon ship.
Nonsense. The Voyage Home came out before Free Willy. So Free Willy is simply The Voyage Home but without a starfleet crew and a Klingon ship. :p

I haven't actualy seen Insurrection or Nemesis... kinda limits what I can say about either!
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-17-2011, 03:05 AM
I loved Insurrection. My favourite film, however Nemesis was done by a director who wanted to reshape Star Trek into his own thing. The characters were so out of step to what they really were, the plot was terrible. It was like they read the 2-year old's guide to story writing. Ooooh the evil guy can be a clone of the good guy and he has an unbeatable weapon and will destroy earth... Ridiculous.