Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
02-18-2011, 07:12 AM
I que for everything and play what ever pops first.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun421 View Post
I know that is the common atitiude around these parts, but darn it I think it is fun.
This atitude has forced my guild to leave STO. We were one of 2 guilds that did ground every night. But the people here dont like it or dont like getting rolled on a nightly basis. So they wont Que. WHen you offer to help them get better, they reject your help. Saying that its not for them, and that ground sucks (I know that not everyone, but most).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-18-2011, 01:58 PM
what is this "ground" combat you speak of?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrus Pars
This atitude has forced my guild to leave STO. We were one of 2 guilds that did ground every night. But the people here dont like it or dont like getting rolled on a nightly basis. So they wont Que. WHen you offer to help them get better, they reject your help. Saying that its not for them, and that ground sucks (I know that not everyone, but most).
yup, a few good teams that did regular ground PvP killed it. Going into a ground match as a PUG, meant you would be killed about 0.5 second after seing the enemy. Repeatedly. So other people stopped signing up for it.

Premades killed ground PVP.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-19-2011, 12:50 AM
As soon as I get the pic from my Victory with STO radio folk. I'll gladly post it on here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
02-19-2011, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
yup, a few good teams that did regular ground PvP killed it. Going into a ground match as a PUG, meant you would be killed about 0.5 second after seing the enemy. Repeatedly. So other people stopped signing up for it.

Premades killed ground PVP.
The blame goes always to the Premades?

I disagree. Particuarly because the threat of meeting a premade was not my reason to not do ground combat. I just don't like STO's ground combat, and if my alternative is space or ground, I'll always pick space.

Sure, some people "fear" premades and don't like losing. But such premades exist for space PvP as well, and people still do it. Sure, some complain about them or never come back, but the Space PvP population is still considerably bigger and more active then ground ever was.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
02-19-2011, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The blame goes always to the Premades?

I disagree. Particuarly because the threat of meeting a premade was not my reason to not do ground combat. I just don't like STO's ground combat, and if my alternative is space or ground, I'll always pick space.

Sure, some people "fear" premades and don't like losing. But such premades exist for space PvP as well, and people still do it. Sure, some complain about them or never come back, but the Space PvP population is still considerably bigger and more active then ground ever was.
space PvP always had a good number of PUGs, and meeting a premade has always been a low risk. For ground however, from late summer onward, you could not enter a ground pvp without meeting a premade or at least a super-coordinated 3-man. I tried to get several of my fleetmates to start PvPing on fround, but whenever we went in, we would meet some of these "professional" ground pvp'ers and be instantly and repeatedly wiped. After a few rounds of this, all of my fleetmates left ground pvp before ever really starting.

If we had met pug's, we would have had time to learn and adapt, and eventually get better, but fighting someone that much better is neither fun nor educational. At least in space, you can try, run, study your opponents. In ground every encounter was: "I think I saw someon..." BOOM you're dead.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
02-19-2011, 07:38 AM
But we don't have PuGs. And that's not because of a few premadefs, it is because the only one left on the ground are pretty much those premades (and they are leaving).

People do not like Ground Combat. Maybe PvP is 100 times better then PvE, but people don't bother to find out.

The population is not large enough. That's the problem that needs to be fixed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
02-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
If we had met pug's, we would have had time to learn and adapt, and eventually get better, but fighting someone that much better is neither fun nor educational.
You learn a lot more if you watch the people that can play it over those that can't play it. If your just thinking about "trying" stuff out, you could always do private 1on1's or 2on2's with your own fleetys i guess. Dueling really helps to build up skill on ground.

Its also easier to learn when playing with good players then against them, a lot of those people that grouped frequently with me/us on ground improved quite noticeable on ground, mostly by watching and asking questions occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
At least in space, you can try, run, study your opponents. In ground every encounter was: "I think I saw someon..." BOOM you're dead.
Ground is a lot about map knowledge and watching the radar, unlike space you know most of the time very exactly from where someone comes and who/what comes long before you can even see your opponent - and since all have that information its rather easy to decide if the situation coming is in your favor or not.

If the numers are not in your favor - move away and regroup and try to get the number advantage on your side when you can. And unlike space where you may have a couple seconds to make such decision while the heal spam occurs on both sides on ground its all about quick decisions.

If the number situation looks good enough for a fight, prepare your bunker before the opponent arrives, make sure people know whos the target/killorder, may also need to have a plan to keep others of em busy if multiple dangerous ones (i.e. with cc.. wm, gas, stuns, roots) and have your healer heal the right people proactively etc.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
02-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiy
If the numers are not in your favor - move away and regroup and try to get the number advantage on your side when you can. And unlike space where you may have a couple seconds to make such decision while the heal spam occurs on both sides on ground its all about quick decisions.

If the number situation looks good enough for a fight, prepare your bunker before the opponent arrives, make sure people know whos the target/killorder, may also need to have a plan to keep others of em busy if multiple dangerous ones (i.e. with cc.. wm, gas, stuns, roots) and have your healer heal the right people proactively etc.
In short, to have fun on ground you need to be in a premade? (or a PUG of random captains that are all accustomed to ground pvp)

It being extremely PUG-unfriendly is why people never start ground pvp'ing, or leave right after starting it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:32 AM.