Lt. Commander
# 1 Mine Enemy: Voice Acting
02-17-2011, 09:59 AM
As this is my first official feedback; I'd like to first commend the STO dev team for the amazing improvements they've made to the game over the past few months. With every new episodic release they've improved immersion and made the game world feel more vibrant and alive. I also commend them for making the move to cinematic presentations in missions for much the same reasons, and I hope at some point they decide to go back to all the original launch missions and tweak them to include these immersive elements.

That being said, I would like to see some better voice acting used in game. Leonard Nimoy's work is, of course, excellent; but most of the other voice over work I've encountered in game has been lackluster (ie. The Guardian of Forever) or - in the case of the male Romulan Commander in Mine Enemy - badly melodramatic. The Star Trek franchise has always attracted, or at least utilized, talented actors to lend their abilities to telling great stories. It would be a shame if STO were not to take advantage of that tradition.

This is not meant as a criticism of any of the efforts the Cryptic STO team has made so far, just my own hopes for improvement in one area which I believe is crucial for the purposes of immersion. Thank you and I look forward to seeing the rest of Cloaked Intentions!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Actually I found the voice acting in that mission quite good.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Overall the voice acting in the game overall ranges from adequate to good. That said, given they have a limited budget, I'd rather see them spend it on additions to thge Dev team that help create content and improve the game as opposed to using a great sum of it to entice larger name Star Trek (or other big name SAG talent) to the game.

In fact tyhe only VO I have a somewhat negative opinion about in Zachary Quinto's performance as the ship's emergency hologram - as in some spots he sound like he' reading dialog for a Book onAudiotape; and other times he soumnds like he's reading something to children.

But put limited funds to where they're most needed - game improvement an mission content addition. I think the VO on the latest FE episode is good enough.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Send me $1000 and I'll VO any mission you want...I'll send you a MP3 you can play...(you'll just have to ignore the screaming newborn and angry cat)

or you can save your money and let the dev team do their thing...it's really pretty good
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-17-2011, 07:16 PM
I think everyone has their own opinions of the VO, I have no issues with the Romulan Commander or Quintos preformance, Admiral T'Nae on the other hand seems a bit off, when I hear her it doesn't strike me as a Vulcan. Then again I'm basing it off of Tuvok from VOY, Spock from TOS and T'Pol from ENT.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-04-2011, 05:59 AM
yea T'Nae is a bit boring, or slow
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickwire_mr View Post
yea T'Nae is a bit boring, or slow
Despite that, I would like her voice dubed over the other non-featured mission dialoge.