Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
02-18-2011, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Are you sure?

Hottest thing you'll see today -> Click here.
I disagree.
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines and Cryptic Studios Infraction Policy ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-18-2011, 06:42 AM
Its not that every ship needs a special, but with the precedent of using a console for a special it does open up the possibility of more. That and it never hurts to brainstorm idea's and express some creativity.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatness View Post
Its not that every ship needs a special, but with the precedent of using a console for a special it does open up the possibility of more. That and it never hurts to brainstorm idea's and express some creativity.
Exactly, as the push to have these abilities become console based opens up the world of customization where some people have it and other don't just out of pure choice.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-18-2011, 06:59 AM
In some cases however I'm not sure they should be console-based.
Especially weapon-skills like a Negh'var-style disruptor cannon (or was it a torpedo in "Way fo the Warrior"?)
might better fit in as a special weapon in a weapons lot for balancing reasons.
None of the special skills we see now are typical weapons, except for the one in the Gal-X and there the ship pays with a rear weapon slot, giving it again a total number of 8.
But if we were to add fully-fledged weapons into console slots the number of usable weapons would exceed that maximum and I'm not convinced a cooldown would balance that out.
So some skills might be better lmited in other ways, for example the heavy weapon on the Negh'var might be restricted in this manner:

one per ship
Negh'var only
must be in a forward weapon slot
is not affected by weapons skills

This might make more sense than a console, it would not affect balance and would still give a feel of "uniqueness" to the ship since it's a type of weapon only that particular kind of ship can carry.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
In some cases however I'm not sure they should be console-based.
Especially weapon-skills like a Negh'var-style disruptor cannon (or was it a torpedo in "Way fo the Warrior"?)
might better fit in as a special weapon in a weapons lot for balancing reasons.
None of the special skills we see now are typical weapons, except for the one in the Gal-X and there the ship pays with a rear weapon slot, giving it again a total number of 8.
But if we were to add fully-fledged weapons into console slots the number of usable weapons would exceed that maximum and I'm not convinced a cooldown would balance that out.
So some skills might be better lmited in other ways, for example the heavy weapon on the Negh'var might be restricted in this manner:

one per ship
Negh'var only
must be in a forward weapon slot
is not affected by weapons skills

This might make more sense than a console, it would not affect balance and would still give a feel of "uniqueness" to the ship since it's a type of weapon only that particular kind of ship can carry.
If a weapon ability is on something like a 3 minute cooldown, it's not a normal weapon, and should not cost an entire weapo nslot. That is what makes the Galaxy-X so weak - the Phaser Lance is not worth an entire weapon slot! It might be if it would provide normal DPS and the occassional burst attack.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
02-18-2011, 01:21 PM
So we just ignore the potential unique abilities that each RA level ship cam get from what Cryptic has started with the MVAM? i know its for canon that the Prom should get the MVAM but still gameplay-wise why should it get something special when its direct counterpart the fleet escort doesnt? What about the others?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
02-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
If a weapon ability is on something like a 3 minute cooldown, it's not a normal weapon, and should not cost an entire weapo nslot. That is what makes the Galaxy-X so weak - the Phaser Lance is not worth an entire weapon slot! It might be if it would provide normal DPS and the occassional burst attack.
And which part of "But if we were to add fully-fledged weapons into console slots" did you misinterpret so badly that you felt the need to write a response that contains an exclamation mark?
By fully fledged I did not mean some gimmicky 3 minute cooldown gun.
I've read the Gal-X proposal thread and I'm very well aware of your idea how to make it useful and I presumed you meant something similar should be slung under the Negh'var's hull instead of some joke joke of a weapon.
I'm very sorry I overestimated your intentions so badly.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
02-19-2011, 12:54 AM
I think all the current ships with a special ability should have that ability removed and converted into a console, and each ship be given an extra console slot to fit it in. Each console would only be fittable on the ship that previously had the console's ability, of course. That way we can decide whether we want a special ability or not for our ships.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
02-22-2011, 12:08 PM
edited OP and added a couple more suggestions from places.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
02-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Nice ideas everyone!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:17 AM.