Lt. Commander
# 41
02-18-2011, 04:18 PM
I have to say if this problem hasn't been fixed 3 weeks into this, i'm going to start getting concerned about the competency of whoever developed the network system the servers run on.

Quote:
Might sound odd but I look at the crashes as a good thing. It means the player base numbers are up, which means more interest in STO. That is a good thing after all.
It means nothing of the sort. All it means is that everyone that does have a subscription logs on at the same time to tear into the new episode like a starving dog. It doesn't mean there are any more people signing up. that being said even if more people are signing up these crashes are not a reliable way to measure the server load in that respect. These crashes are due to server stability in general, not bandwidth use.

Funny thing about this situation - my networking instructor is actually using these crashes as an example to the class about the necessity of proper network planning and load handling.... so I guess something good has at least come of it.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Both issues have been addressed, so with those changes and additional hardware and on-site support we feel we are more prepared for the flood tomorrow. But again, we won't know if we got everything until we see the flood.
Well, here's to you and the team, and best hopes for a stable and well-balanced ( ^_^ ) episode release! It'll be a bummer if there's problems again, but at least you know what the deal is, and you've been more than forthcoming about it. That's frankly more than any other company I've ever seen do. (Possible exception: CCP, but when their reaction to your corp being shellacked by economic shenanigans is maniacal laughter.... =) )
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-18-2011, 04:56 PM
I won't be assured until they've sacrificed some goats on an altar to the demons of technology.

The COO knows some latin.

Just saying.

Lt. Commander
# 44
02-18-2011, 05:53 PM
The easiest way to prevent Saturday crashes is to release them Friday nights...just saying
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieZ View Post
How does that even make sense, and how is it relevant?
please dont feet the troll
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
...Funny thing about this situation - my networking instructor is actually using these crashes as an example to the class about the necessity of proper network planning and load handling.... so I guess something good has at least come of it.
While I applaud these efforts... beware that even a lot of planning (our NetOps guys are some of the best in the industry) can't prevent a stupid bug checked into the core code somewhere unrelated that somehow made it into the gameserver monitor. Bugs happen because human error happens and you can certainly plan for human error, which we do. You'll notice our downtime was minimal and we resolved the issue as fast as possible - because of planning on how to deal with the unexpected and how to react to it quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-18-2011, 06:16 PM
So fun working in the computer industry: Everyone is always smarter than you are, and they can always do your job better than you can...

Anyway, keep up the good work, guys and we look forward to the new ep, even if we don't get to play until later Sat afternoon.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Episode 3: "Frozen" takes place in the Psi Velorum Sector Block
It's called "Frozen"?! LMAO!!! You're asking for it dude.:p

I keep thinking of a line from Jurassic Park 2;
"we wont be making the same mistakes again."
"No, you're making all new ones."

It's inevitable with a system this complex that you'll spend massive resources preventing the problem of yesterday only to get slapped by the problem of today while in conference planning for the problem of tomorrow.

Such is the case in any complex system. I do logistics for the US Military, 10 years in and I'm still amazed how much effort gets put into planning for the next problem, and the solution always seems to boil down to making sure the kid on night shift can think on his feet.
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Quote:
our NetOps guys are some of the best in the industry
They seriously are. Give those guys a cookie next time you see them. This game had less downtimes than most others I've ever played.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Quote:
I can appreciate the sarcasm and pessimism. It's happened the last two weekends so why wouldn't it happen again?

One the changes we've made is in relation to shutting down instance maps that you have just left and fixing some logic on the load balancer.

This along with more hardware should put us in better shape for tomorrow.

Since no one knows how many people will try to login for the episode, it is impossible to say if we are out of the wood.

I will say that we have made preparations, we have staff working the launch time window and we'll all be monitoring closely.
Don't get me wrong Dan, I'm just sarcastic, I don't mean anything by it usually. Please excuse me if I laugh if there is a downtime message tomorrow though...