Lt. Commander
# 71
02-19-2011, 09:01 AM
-- My own episodic content update for this week --

Following my thrilling installment earlier (just a few posts ago in this thread)...

After getting kicked off again this morning (as STO was taken offline for a couple of hours at 11 AM GMT) I went on again about 20 minutes ago (it's now around 4-5 PM in the afternoon here) and tried to go through last weeks episode.

This time I made to the surface map - my immediate reaction was 'Wow! This looks great! It was worth the wait!" (it really does, the episodic content just gets better and better). Unfortunately for me, after speaking to the first NPC I am kicked again, this time because the instance I was in fell over (first it stopped responding properly, then got dumped back at the login screen).

You can say what you like about the Ferengi - but at least they keep the Holodecks running.
Lt. Commander
# 72
02-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyparty
Has anyone at Cryptic considered opening new episodes much earlier in the day? I live in the UK and most of the US is asleep when it's morning for me, so STO is really quiet.

If you released the patch at say 03:00 PST then most non US players would have already finished the new episode by the time America wakes up.

It seems like such a simple solution so I'm sure Cryptic have thought of it but can I ask why its not been tried yet?
If there's a serious issue, do you want the devs to still be in bed too? :p
Lt. Commander
# 73 Loadmaster 2000
02-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
I can appreciate the sarcasm and pessimism. It's happened the last two weekends so why wouldn't it happen again?

One the changes we've made is in relation to shutting down instance maps that you have just left and fixing some logic on the load balancer.

This along with more hardware should put us in better shape for tomorrow.

Since no one knows how many people will try to login for the episode, it is impossible to say if we are out of the wood.

I will say that we have made preparations, we have staff working the launch time window and we'll all be monitoring closely.
Heya Dan, I have some Loadmaster 2000 load balancers I can swing you for a lifetime membership or two, haha. Heya, at least they're not CISCO. They're just sitting in my home office collecting dust. PM me!

PS - yes, "Loadmaster 2000" - dirty!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 74
02-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
If there's a serious issue, do you want the devs to still be in bed too? :p
Like the servers going down? I'm not 100% sure, but isn't there a guy who takes care of that stuff in the wee hours of the night? Plus, and this is only a guess, I got the impression that the net ops team was in Boston with the servers.

I'm not saying that the idea is or isn't sound or anything like that. I'm just saying there is at least a few folks on the night shift should Gre'thor break loose.
Lt. Commander
# 75
02-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Wow...this thread can go straight in the bin! Everything went fine with the server and the beer went down like a treat!

Well done, Cryptic...and thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 76 At least you all can log in
02-19-2011, 06:09 PM
I get the launcher, it did a small patch and when the screen comes up it hangs at the COMMUNICATING WITH LOGIN SERVER and then craps out.. been that way for me here in Las Vegas since 1pm PST. *sigh* I"m hoping it's not something with my client... and I can surf everywhere else... grrr... was hoping to spend today crafting too.

Hope I can login later!
Lt. Commander
# 77
02-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardmlv View Post
I get the launcher, it did a small patch and when the screen comes up it hangs at the COMMUNICATING WITH LOGIN SERVER and then craps out.. been that way for me here in Las Vegas since 1pm PST. *sigh* I"m hoping it's not something with my client... and I can surf everywhere else... grrr... was hoping to spend today crafting too.

Hope I can login later!
Sounds like something at your end, or in your ISP. Sever's been rock solid since I got home hours ago.
Lt. Commander
# 78
02-19-2011, 06:32 PM
I was thinking the same thing... the weirdness is that I can go anywhere and everywhere. It worked fine last night... not sure what is going on. Opinion? I'd hate to be drastic and uninstall and reinstall the client to think something was corrupted on my end... I mean, the launcher comes up fine. Weirdness.......
Lt. Commander
# 79
02-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardmlv View Post
I was thinking the same thing... the weirdness is that I can go anywhere and everywhere. It worked fine last night... not sure what is going on. Opinion? I'd hate to be drastic and uninstall and reinstall the client to think something was corrupted on my end... I mean, the launcher comes up fine. Weirdness.......
try a force verify?
Lt. Commander
# 80
02-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Hmm... okay, I'm game... just how do I do that?