Lt. Commander
# 21
02-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
An old idea I had:

Let us add Cargo Bays to interiors for onboard (extra) storage. Let there be small cargo bays, medium sized ones, and large ones. Let larger ships hold multiple cargo bays.

Some can be won in missions, some can be bought with merits, and maybe even (GASP) some on the C-Store.

But not only should this add extra storage for you aboard your ship, but also an extra room you can walk into and see: the Cargo Bay.
I'd be very much in favor of this idea.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Does any think we carry impulse engines in our inventory while on the ground? why not rename inventory cargo hold?
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel
To explain the idea in extremely simple terms: It's just access to the Bank, just like at ESD, except aboard your ship, and labelled Cargo Hold for verisimilitude purposes.

Sorry for the bold, just wanted to make sure new people coming into the thread actually knew what I was talking about. I posted the original thread while not quite awake and apparently did a terrible job explaining what I was after. So - hopefully that's more clear.

=========

Original text:

I was just thinking about this: Why do we have a Bank in a game where every character has access to at a starship?

I know that technically that's what the Inventory is, but it really doesn't feel like it at all. It also feels a bit odd going all the way back to ESD or Q'onos to have them hold stuff for me that should, by all rights, fit on my ship without any effort. I will grant that, due to the simplicity* of STO's inventory system, we technically can hold as many full-size Phaser Arrays as we can Type-2 hand phasers... and so admittedly a hold full of the former may strain disbelief a little... but really no more than well... the above example.

Basically the point is: Why not let us have a bank in our interior so instead of going all the way back to space dock, we can just grab stuff from our holds? >.>
Wow, it sounds so pirate like! Okay you have my vote!
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-25-2011, 12:46 PM
It was recently announced that SW:TOR's cargo hold will operate as a bank. I love the idea and want to see it in STO as well. You have my support.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Also, I don't think the on-station banks need armed guards. :p
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-25-2011, 04:45 PM
I cringed when I saw "Bank" when I started playing the game. In Star Trek cannon- at least TOS & TNG cannon when Roddenberry was in charge- starfleet officers don't use currency, they wouldn't need banks. In my own mind my inventory has always been the cargo hold. The bank has been more like a depot. If you could even just change the names it would stop me from cringing. I think it would be cool having it split up a little. Say personal items and consumables would be in inventory- and could be crafted aboard ship (pretty please Cryptic?) but starship items would have to be stored at a depot that could be at ESD, starbases, Memory Alpha. I mean think about it, let's say you craft/buy/ recieve from quest an impulse engine. Even in a Galaxy class Explorer do think there's room in the cargo bay for an extra engine?
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-25-2011, 05:14 PM
I have called for a Cargo Hold (as in "bank" access) in our ship's interiors since we first got word that we'd have ship interiors. Everyone seems to have their own ideas how that should work though. Here's mine:
  • Rename all instances of "bank" to Cargo/Storage: It is what it is. What it is not, is a financial institution. It's an area where you store items. Change the signs on ESD from that glaringly different (TOS) font that says "BANK" to a more appropriate "Cargo/Storage" sign (maybe something with the cargo locator symbol). The DS9 "bank" area is already mostly a cargo hold anyway.
  • Keep the Exchange and (what we're currently calling "bank") cargo/storage terminals on starbases: This is in addition to the access points in the ship interior. Exchange areas should be in social areas, and it's only logical that you'd have access to your stored inventory nearby.
  • Keep Fleet Storage on Starbases: and also Fleet Starbases if/when these come into play. Again, this only makes sense. Fleet inventory is available to the entire fleet, so it needs to be in a place that would make sense for multiple people to have access to. You're not going to have access to the entire fleet's inventory in your ship. The only cargo you should be able to access in your ship is your own.

There has been discussion on whether or not we should be able to pick up items sent in the mail on our ships, but honestly I could go either way with that. Having to pick up items at a starbase or other social instance would give us another reason to visit them though.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
I have called for a Cargo Hold (as in "bank" access) in our ship's interiors since we first got word that we'd have ship interiors. Everyone seems to have their own ideas how that should work though. Here's mine:
  • Rename all instances of "bank" to Cargo/Storage: It is what it is. What it is not, is a financial institution. It's an area where you store items. Change the signs on ESD from that glaringly different (TOS) font that says "BANK" to a more appropriate "Cargo/Storage" sign (maybe something with the cargo locator symbol). The DS9 "bank" area is already mostly a cargo hold anyway.
  • Keep the Exchange and (what we're currently calling "bank") cargo/storage terminals on starbases: This is in addition to the access points in the ship interior. Exchange areas should be in social areas, and it's only logical that you'd have access to your stored inventory nearby.
  • Keep Fleet Storage on Starbases: and also Fleet Starbases if/when these come into play. Again, this only makes sense. Fleet inventory is available to the entire fleet, so it needs to be in a place that would make sense for multiple people to have access to. You're not going to have access to the entire fleet's inventory in your ship. The only cargo you should be able to access in your ship is your own.

There has been discussion on whether or not we should be able to pick up items sent in the mail on our ships, but honestly I could go either way with that. Having to pick up items at a starbase or other social instance would give us another reason to visit them though.

Yeah, I would really love that. Great ideas!
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Quote:
I like that idea.

I would like it more if we could store it in our ships' cargo bay.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Quote:

This is an excellent and logical suggestion. Ship's cargo would be just that. It's tied to you and your ship.

Keeping the Exchange on starbased and Fleet Storage at starbased/Fleet bases also makes a lot of sense and keeps the "social" areas active as well.

With regard to another poster's comments on crafting: I'd like to see significant crafting available on our ships as well, but perhaps with limitations (e.g., some things require greater resources to craft than would be available on a ship).