Lt. Commander
# 1 I'm bored
02-18-2011, 11:15 AM
One of the most important aspects of any game is REPLAYABILITY. MMOs were thought to have an advantage in this regard because the designers were "constantly" adding new content. However, while this was and is true, the players go through it so voraciously, that there is little to do between releases of such content. There needs to be something more.

There are a couple of ways this can be done. One way is to make braching plots, that allow the players to do the same missions in different ways. MANY games do this, such as Knights of the Old Republic and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. The problem with this approach is that there are only so many combinations possible, and that the story remains fixed.

An alternative is randomization. A system should be put in place to generate random missions. Pen and paper games have had random encounter tables for DECADES. It always suprises me that computer games don't, especially considering that they could have the system make MANY random "rolls" in a moment's time, and thereby generate a highly variable mission.

I've suggested a system allowing for random exploration in the past. I won't detail it again here unless asked. That said, I hope we can see some kind of random mission system incorporated into this game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-18-2011, 11:27 AM
PvE= engaging instances, great dropped loot (it is cool to get your loot on one run through, but then there is nothing compelling to do it again), great story, "activation triggers" (added difficulty). Mix it all together and there is re playability.

PvP= Unique rewards, booby traps/environmental hazards, tournament style contests, ratings system so that premades do not end up against pugs and great premade teams go up against other great premades, more variety of map objectives.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-18-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm bored too, the only reason I went lifetime was to lock in at a low(ish) cost and to be able to come back whenever and not have to pay. I was grinding dailies but at 500 a pop I'm not motivated.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
PvE= engaging instances, great dropped loot (it is cool to get your loot on one run through, but then there is nothing compelling to do it again), great story, "activation triggers" (added difficulty). Mix it all together and there is re playability.

PvP= Unique rewards, booby traps/environmental hazards, tournament style contests, ratings system so that premades do not end up against pugs and great premade teams go up against other great premades, more variety of map objectives.
The problem with a "great story" is once you've done it, it ceases to be as engaging. After you've done it 100 times, it becomes tired. Loot doesn't make things interesting, you need to keep the action itself fresh. If you know what's going to happen in any given mission before you actually DO anything, then it will become boring very fast. Suprises make things more interesting.

Consider.

Suppose I enter a space mission. I see an asteroid, about half way across the map. Right away, I know what the mission is. I will fly over to the asteroid where there will be a base. A nondescript alien will blather at me, then I will destroy 5 ships that will attack for no good reason. The alien will say more meaningless dialogue, and I leave.

Now, imagine the same mission, but add in a number of random elements. Maybe there's an ion storm, meaning I have to try to evacuate the base, and pirates are there to try and interfere. Maybe the base is a pirate base, and the attackers are actually the good guys - and I've been tricked into fighting them. Maybe there's NO ENEMY, and the meeting with the base is just an opportunity for contact or trade.

A system of random variables would make that mission more interesting, because you wouldn't know what to expect.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-18-2011, 11:40 AM
I've got seven VA/Lt. Gens and I just can bring myself to level any more characters at this point, nor can I get excited about Emblem grinding. The FE's are nice, but once they are done they are done.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-18-2011, 11:51 AM
I created 3 new toons during the Anniversary just for the 8 hour skill boost. Haven't logged into them since and probably won't until Season 7 or 8.

I'm not bored per-say, I've found a couple things that keep me occupied to help out my Fleet-mates. Tonight I'm starting a "Get your Bruises" inter-fleet campaign to get everyone outfitted with Blue/Purple gear. So between Trivia contests, treasure hunts and other events it should help break up the monotony a little.

I'm still holding out hope that more mini-games are on the horizon as well as social/cooperative tasks that don't involve combat.

In helping out a new member last night we we're rebels, we went counter clockwise to kill the 5 mobs instead of clockwise.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-18-2011, 11:54 AM
I can't imagine leveling any more than the 3 I have now, 1 Tac VA, 1 Eng VA, 1 Sci BG. Not to mention there's no compelling endgame Fed Sci ship choices right now, nor really anything interesting on the Klingon side aside from the carriers which were nerfed way too hard by that snix person.

Overall I'm just blah on STO at the moment, but it seems they're doing what they can with the limited resources they have. I might just need to take some time off after we finish this series.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-18-2011, 12:26 PM
been playing since beta. I haven't been bored since last summer.
I play KDF.
I actually just levelled my first fed and have ignored my KDF's for the past few weeks.
There is quite a bit to do in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
One of the most important aspects of any game is REPLAYABILITY. MMOs were thought to have an advantage in this regard because the designers were "constantly" adding new content. However, while this was and is true, the players go through it so voraciously, that there is little to do between releases of such content. There needs to be something more.

There are a couple of ways this can be done. One way is to make braching plots, that allow the players to do the same missions in different ways. MANY games do this, such as Knights of the Old Republic and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. The problem with this approach is that there are only so many combinations possible, and that the story remains fixed.

An alternative is randomization. A system should be put in place to generate random missions. Pen and paper games have had random encounter tables for DECADES. It always suprises me that computer games don't, especially considering that they could have the system make MANY random "rolls" in a moment's time, and thereby generate a highly variable mission.

I've suggested a system allowing for random exploration in the past. I won't detail it again here unless asked. That said, I hope we can see some kind of random mission system incorporated into this game.
I think the bigger issue here is that STO while being an MMO, is pretty much designed as a single player game via the content it has to offer.

There's very little rhyme or reason to team up in STO, unless you run into trouble, that's about it. It's also clear that the endgame content is an afterthought. I played during beta, and there was no endgame content at launch either, so the endgame was never a part of the initial design.

The STFs for example. while the missions look cool and they are quite challenging, once you've earned your entire Borg ship parts set, what purpose is there of ever going back? There isn't one. The loot that drops isn't great, and they require 5 very capable players to get through them. The challenge level of the mission doesn't match the reward either.

Once you hit VA ALL that you have left to do is PVP, which is weak and boring, and to do a series of equally as boring Daily missions to acquire emblems and marks to fix your ship up even more, but with no real endgame content, I'm starting to ask myself, why am I even bothering to do that? Once the ship is outfitted with all very rare/purple gear, then what?

This game doesn't encourage working together with other players very well, and there's very limited in-game tools to even build communities.

It's a patch-work game, there's lots of little bits and pieces woven in, but when combined altogether it's still missing a lot, and it's clear that stuff was simply tossed in too.

It has great potential, but the great space combat alone with very little to do once you hit VA isn't going to keep players interested longer than a month or so.

I have two accounts as my son wanted to try it, and he gave up, because he even says STO sucks compared to WOW and other MMOs, as I couldn't keep him interested. So I've pretty much used both accounts for the past two months now, and in that time I've grinded 4x different characters to VA, and attempted to grind Klingon characters as well, but didn't get far. Don't get me started on how incomplete and weak the whole Klingon side of things is either. lol But my point is, it takes a little over a week max to grind a single character to VA.

This is a casual MMO, not one made for the long-haul. Most will play for about 60-days and then they'll move on, because there's really not much to do beyond that in STO. It's by design, and that's too bad. Because it's clear they're trying to fix those things, but in the end there's not a lot they can do about a variety of things in the game without starting over, and last time that happened in an MMO (StarWars Galaxies for example the NGE issue) the base players get upset and revolt. So you can't please everyone for certain, but it's also important to get a lot of things right from the start, because there's a lot of things you can't just "patch" and that alone turns a mediocre MMO into an exceptional one.

I love the space combat in this game, it's a lot of fun, but I try and avoid anything on the ground because it's City of Heroes with a hack-job quality StarTrek mod at best when it comes to ground combat.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Agree with previous poster. I don't mind the casual nature of the game, I don't want to have to get a postsecondary degree to be any good like in EVE, but the single-player nature of the design has doomed it more than anything else. Cryptic can't possibly keep up, which is why we're getting the Foundry. But even then, it's just fan-created single player content.