Lt. Commander
# 1 So...pvp set in discussion?
02-18-2011, 12:47 PM
PvP is in dire need of players atm, and having a set as a reward might get a flow of players to atleast try this aspect.

The pvp set could have something that a pve'r would really want and thus try out pvp (they may actually like it). And if something like this gets implemented....could only the winners (plus top damage and heals on the loosing side) be granted the marks required to purchase the gear.

Just a suggestion
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Would be great to see, but I'm not holding my breath. PvP keeps getting pushed aside along with the STFs. Funny how they both always end up in the 'design discussion' or 'long term' sections of the Engineering Reports.

Ah well, someday...
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
PvP is in dire need of players atm, and having a set as a reward might get a flow of players to atleast try this aspect.

The pvp set could have something that a pve'r would really want and thus try out pvp (they may actually like it). And if something like this gets implemented....could only the winners (plus top damage and heals on the loosing side) be granted the marks required to purchase the gear.

Just a suggestion
Do you have any ideas for what the sets and their stats would be?
How much would they cost in terms of Marks?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-18-2011, 12:55 PM
I really don't think PvP rewards is going to encourage new people to participate in PVP, given the trouble we have had with Mark of Honor and Emblem moochers in the past. Unless it's a certain map that has it required players participate.

But people have quit PvP mainly because of 3 things:

1) Boredom (same maps, same people)

2) Being serverely outclassed. (Most STO players who want a taste of PvP, are easily turned off by how different it is from PvE and easily getting killed.)

3) PvP Imbalances

So until Cryptic addresses these 3 things, the PvP population is going to be very small.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Quote:
The pvp set could have something that a pve'r would really want and thus try out pvp (they may actually like it).
No. Bribing people into your game of cosmic whack-a-mole is entirely the wrong way to do it. If a set of PvP-related items were to be made, make them desirable for PvP, but less desirable for PvE.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Only PvP imbalance i have noticed as of late is between player skills and player know-how of outfitting ships.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-18-2011, 01:05 PM
I disagree. As an avid PvPer myself, the imbalance is Crowd Control abilities. Something that should have never been implemented in Space PvP. It has no place in this game, yet here it is. People who played this game for Star Trek and not the Space PvP tend to shy away from PvP due to all the Crowd Control abilities. It feels nothing like Star Trek.

In Star Trek, you very rarely seen any type of CC's, and even when it did happen, it was something that took forever to prepare and it sure as hell was not on any 30 second cooldown. I would say more like a 1 year cooldown.

CC's in Space Combat is *not* Star Trek. It's City of Heroes in Space....
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Quote:
There are two problems with incentivising PvP...
  • It's not "newb" friendly. So although you might have a bunch of new people try PvP, the bulk of them will likely only try it once (and then not come back after they're horribly slaughtered). So if you're looking for new PvPers to play with long term, well, this isn't going to help. The only way this is likely to change is if there's a fundamental change to the system which makes it more "forgiving."

• Then of course you have the people drawn in that you'd rather not have there at all. You know, the guys who spawn and go AFK, or do everything they can to avoid battle. The people who aren't there for the PvP, just to pick up the reward. These folks basically ruin matches by bringing down the sides.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I really don't think PvP rewards is going to encourage new people to participate in PVP, given the trouble we have had with Mark of Honor and Emblem moochers in the past. Unless it's a certain map that has it required players participate.

But people have quit PvP mainly because of 3 things:

1) Boredom (same maps, same people)

2) Being serverely outclassed. (Most STO players who want a taste of PvP, are easily turned off by how different it is from PvE and easily getting killed.)

3) PvP Imbalances

So until Cryptic addresses these 3 things, the PvP population is going to be very small.
hey bud [/waves]

kinda of a couple things to throw out here for PvP.

1. Many folks don't like PvP in smaller groups. WHY ? simple: the smaller the groups the less affective PUGs are. It's no particular reflection upon the individuals doing the PvP. Smaller groups tend to magnify inadequacies or lack of balance in a PUG. If the ship of a player is lacking in good gear ... this will be amplified. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH imbalance in the game. If someone is running with mixed tier componants (greens, blues and purples) they will fall prey to someone who is maxed in blue or pruple in a heart beat .. add to that player abilities: Most folks are "average" ... that simple. which leads me to the next point:

2. A lot of PvP players who are more "hard core" usually are very good at what they do. (Nothing wrong with that in and of it self) .. HOWEVER .. there are also a number of folk who enjoy taunting the devil over their prey.. It's not enough that they win .. they LOVE to make sure the other fellow knows they've been beaten. It's most unfortunate .. BUT this seems to be a universal fact in almost ANY PvP game. I've seen it waaaaay back in the old SFC days when we used the "Dynaverse". This sets the stage for a less than desireable atmosphere .. and again it is heightened with smaller groups.

3. In larger groups ( 40 or more) player short comming are less noticable and more forgiving. A larger map with miltple goals or challanges is even better. The more player, the more flexable the more likely a beginner can get envolved and still have a degree of fun ( though it is still somewhat frustrating in the very early stages). However, if I can do well in other games where these conditions are available, I'm certain that most can (at least to some degree). I have not attempted PvP in STO for one reason. I do not do well in small group PvP. As I understand it ... that's all that there is !

(all of this is my personal opinion)
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Then of course you have the people drawn in that you'd rather not have there at all. You know, the guys who spawn and go AFK, or do everything they can to avoid battle. The people who aren't there for the PvP, just to pick up the reward. These folks basically ruin matches by bringing down the sides.
You have this already, even without PvP gear sets. This is going to happen so long as there is PvP in a game with some kind of reward attached to it. Not much you can do about it unfortunately.

I do agree with your first point regarding PvP not being new player friendly and having a steep learning curve.