Lt. Commander
# 11
02-18-2011, 01:28 PM
PvP isn't player friendly in general, and the biggest reason why is because of the sorts of people who engage in PvP. If you want to get more people into PvP, you need to get the jerks out. Trying to bribe people into dealing with the jerks just makes them resent the whole process.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
You have this already, even without PvP gear sets. This is going to happen so long as there is PvP in a game with some kind of reward attached to it. Not much you can do about it unfortunately.
Thing is, that's because PvP is somewhat incentivised by the Emblem Dailies. If you think this is bad now, imagine when a new exclusive gear set is added which unobtainable through any other means. It's basically going compound the problem and make finding a decent match much more difficult, and likely all but impossible anywhere near the launch of the set.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-18-2011, 01:56 PM
I certainly don't object to there being a PvP exclusive set. In theory it's a good plan, but I have to agree with the concerns about the afk grinding of PvP games ruining PvP while Non-PvP'ers attempt to acquire it...

I don't particularly like the idea of limiting the set to PvP use only, but there is definitely a serious issue with Non-PvP'ers leeching matches, thanks to being able to earn the full rewards regardless of winning. It might be an idea to wait until the Devs have figured out how to close this loophole without making losing (especially in FvK PvP) too punishing.

In the short term, while this certainly isn't a real solution, but rather than having a PvP set, how about having an Emblem set? Sure, there's still a risk of having people afk'ing their way through matches, but as there's other ways to earn emblems, it likely wont increase too much over what we have currently.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Thing is, that's because PvP is somewhat incentivised by the Emblem Dailies.
Yes, I know. That's why I said you have the AFK'ers already.

Quote:
If you think this is bad now, imagine when a new exclusive gear set is added which unobtainable through any other means. It's basically going compound the problem and make finding a decent match much more difficult, and likely all but impossible anywhere near the launch of the set.
This was tried in City of Heroes with the introduction of PvP Recipe sets. Those did little to generate interest in PvP in that game. To be fair, it had more to do with PvP being so far out of balance and powers/skills working differently than they did in PvE that it made the costs for entering into PvP very high, not to mention the steep learning curve.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-18-2011, 02:06 PM
If Cryptic dose that, please, for the sake of sanity, make a set for each level tier. I am having a very hard time rolling an alt because I cannot stomach running all the mission episodes because I cant stand the ground combat.

I would level up on pvp but umm, there is no pvp.

I would level up on explore clusters but I get chains of approach planet missions. Each time i hit one I have to zone back out find another anomaly and try again.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-18-2011, 02:07 PM
How about a Mirror Universe Set? Lets have them purple nacelles
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Please no PvP sets. As a few guys said before: it will make a huge gap between "pro" pvp'rs and casuals, who go to warzones once in a while. Ultimately it would drive people most away - what would be the point, to get there and get slaughtered by a guy with special PvP outfit, giving him the edge in anything?

Nah, it's really fine the way it is. What we DO need however is some ranking system, some way to make a difference.