Lt. Commander
# 51
02-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan844
@ USS Paralax:

First off: Nero had Borg tech. That was what the whole thing on "The Vault" explained.

I know this. However real explained reasons aren't enough for some people so I didn't mention it. What's the point of telling me this anyways?

Secong: This isn't a point but meerly a question: Wasn't Nero Reman?

Nope. Romulan.

Third: How log has it been since you played the... I forgot, were the origional Romulan missions Commander or Lt. Commander level? Anyway, those missions clearly explain that the Hobus event was SABOTAGE! Please check your facts before posting. UNLESS THE SABOTAGE WAS STOPPED, ROMULOUS COULD NOT HAVE BEEN SAVED! Someone WANTED Romulous gone.

d00d another thing I know. I don't understand why you're pointing it out. What does it have to do with?
If you're referring to me pretending there was no explanation it's because LotD says that deleted scenes, comics, STO, novels, etc don't count (which they do). Then I explained to him that even if everything was unexplained like in my examples it still wouldn't matter and wouldn't be a plot hole.
Believe me, I know everything you said I didn't. You just can't use those examples as "proof" of anything when it comes to LotD which decides to ignore them for no good reason.
Replies in the quotes.
Lt. Commander
# 52
02-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Leod
Here's a plot hole from Abrams Trek:
How can Spock (Nimoy) watch, in real time, the destruction of Vulcan? If he's on a moon of Vulcan, wouldn't the moon get sucked into the black hole too? If he's on a planet light years away (which is more likely...wasn't the Enterprise at warp when Spock (Quinto) kicks Kirk off the ship), wouldn't he have to wait a couple years at least before seeing Vulcan destroyed?
He was on a moon or sister planet of Vulcan. He wasn't light years away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
my personal favourite plot hole from 09 was my did he bother drilling into the planets core before launching the red matter?

wouldn't igniting it in the atmosphere or at the very least ground level of vulcan have done the job just as well?
We don't know how the tech works. It's feasible that the black hole formed not in the core wouldn't cause as much destruction and might even disperse. Unexplained science =/= plot hole.
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Unexplained science is most certainly a plot hole. In many Star Trek episodes, they explain certain sciences of the tech in ST. Red Matter is not explained. Therefore, plot hole.

The biggest plot hole I can see: What the heck is Red Matter, and how did the Vulcans, much less Spock, get so much of it, and why did they have it all just sitting around? I tell you, there's a revolution coming, if they have that much Red Matter.

Also- How did Spock's ship survive the Black Hole. REAL, ACTUAL SCIENCE tells us that NOTHING can suvive being sucked into a Black Hole. (Except maybe Captain Kirk)
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-20-2011, 02:35 PM
A dude with arthritis tells a Klingon to stay on a ship instead of taking out the big bad in Nemesis.

Discuss.
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
A dude with arthritis tells a Klingon to stay on a ship instead of taking out the big bad in Nemesis.

Discuss.
Actually, if memory serves, he doesn't. The Klingon is busy fighting Remans and isn't present for that conversation.
Lt. Commander
# 56
02-21-2011, 11:44 AM
I don't mind the technobable but why everything as to do with some SUBROUTINE?? I mean I don't get most of what they say but I do know if some wrong check the subroutine or the matrix or the aray or some subwhatever thing.

as for the Red matter it's been said that it create artificial black hole so therefore it's not as powerful as the real Black hole created by anomaly in the galaxy. not my word and I can't find the source I picked this from

by the way why the red matter in STO isn't that powerful?
Lt. Commander
# 57
02-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Yeah. Wouldn't that mean that anyone who uses a red-matter console on their ships would create an artificial black hole upon death?
Lt. Commander
# 58
02-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Wesley Crusher not finding some excuse to bone the hell out of Ashley Judd is a plot hole in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 59
02-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan844
Unexplained science is most certainly a plot hole.
Explain to me how the FTL device in Contact (Jodie Foster) works.
How did the Borg develop timetraveling just in time to attack Earth?
How do transporters work?
How do warp engines work?
How do phasers work?
How do turbolasers work?
What are Proton Torpedoes?
How do Lightsabers work?
How does magic work?

Nothing of this was ever explained on TV. Maybe it's a plot hole in your view, but I don't count such things as plot holes.

Because... they don't have to do with the plots. Whether Warp Engines warp space-time around the ship or put a ship into subspace (whatever that is) (all explanations offered either by Startrek authors or by people trying to frame Startrek physics in "real" scientific terms with meaning) doesn't matter, as long as it allows the plot to remain consistent.
Lt. Commander
# 60
02-22-2011, 02:48 AM
Why did the Borg decide to stop the Phoenix launch in First Contact instead of going back further so they'd meet no resistance while assimilating?

Also, why'd they go to earth (before traveling back in time) instead of traveling back in time in some "safe" area and then traveling with no resistance (nor detection)?