Lt. Commander
# 81
03-03-2011, 09:20 AM
the Iconian are coming back now how they going to explain this? I can already see lots of plot hole on this one don't you?
Lt. Commander
# 82
03-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Too many people don't know what a plot hole actually is. Not knowing something or something being mysterious is not a plot hole. It's got to be a contradiction and not make sense with the plot. Like how Picard confirmed to Wesly in a very early TNG episode of the Klingons joining the Federation which clearly contradicts later stuff.

Not knowing the whys or hows and stuff isn't a plot hole (it can be but not usually). It's just something you don't know.
Lt. Commander
# 83
03-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Why did the Borg decide to stop the Phoenix launch in First Contact instead of going back further so they'd meet no resistance while assimilating?

Also, why'd they go to earth (before traveling back in time) instead of traveling back in time in some "safe" area and then traveling with no resistance (nor detection)?
True situation: The original script idea had the Borg travelling back to Midieval times (Black Plague anyone? - It's not the plague, it's a Borg assimilation); and the Star Trerk crew meeting a Merlin-esque character. Luckily - someone above Braga realized how stupid this would be for a major Star Trek film. Glad they dropped the idea myself.
Lt. Commander
# 84
03-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwane View Post
"3. So Nero sees Romulus get destroyed.. he blames Spock so he decides to go after him at the same time Spock is trying to stop the supernova. They both get sucked into the black hole.. and then each appears in different points in time in the past. Youíre telling me that Nero was sooo hell bent on making Spock suffer that he sat around for 25 years waiting for him to appear? Youíre telling me he figured out exactly where Spock would appear? Nero is a mining guy right? Guess heís pretty bright in science too."

***Not my words***
It is best to just resolve yourself to the fact that the J.J. movie was terribly written and horribly filmed. Doing so makes it tolerable for watching it once.

It is a shame because they managed to put together a very talented cast. I would like to see that cast in a well written story with a director who knows how to do more than 1 camera effect.
Lt. Commander
# 85
03-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiFan_78 View Post
If the star had went supernova by natural causes, I would agree. I hardly think a rocket fired by a mad man counts as a natural cause.
Natural cause or not, who is to say otherwise?
Lt. Commander
# 86
03-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwane View Post
the Iconian are coming back now how they going to explain this? I can already see lots of plot hole on this one don't you?
Where's the plot hole - all we know of the Iconians were that thwey had portal tech that allowed them to cover interstellar distances without the need of Starships; that other races refered to them as "Demons or Air and Darkness"; and stated they invaded worlds and 'appeared out of thin air' - that eventually other races banded together of bombard the surface of their homeworld; and further that one man (Jean Luc Picard) believes (with zero evidence to back him up, just a 'feeling he has) that maybe the Iconians were not as evil as evidence or historical accounts would indicate and the races that bombarded the planet did so out of fear only.

I was never stated that the Iconians no longer existed (and a working gate room after all that bombardment would seem to indicate some survived; and that they had other off world bases, etc; so I on't see the return of the Iconians, or them being bent on re-conquest/revenge after what happened a 'plot hole' or inconsistent with what we know about them from the Star Trek episodes that mentioned them.
Lt. Commander
# 87
03-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Your hate against Star Trek 09 is irrelevant. It's the most well received Star Trek to date with the best ratings from the critics and non-critics alike. It made the most money of any Star Trek. It's probably the best Star Trek movie out there along with Wrath of Kahn.

Your opinion is faulty. Plus I already explained how all those things that are "plot holes" aren't at all plot holes in this thread. Get with the times.
Lt. Commander
# 88
03-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
It is best to just resolve yourself to the fact that the J.J. movie was terribly written and horribly filmed. Doing so makes it tolerable for watching it once.

It is a shame because they managed to put together a very talented cast. I would like to see that cast in a well written story with a director who knows how to do more than 1 camera effect.
I woould disagree with this assessment. In fact (and IMO) there were WAY worse Star Trek films written than ST09; the chief among them being 9and in order from worst to least worst):

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek: Insurection
Star Trek: Generations

VMMV. But ST09 ranks up there with teh better Trek films like:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek: First Contact <---- The only TNG cast film worth watching.
Lt. Commander
# 89
03-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Other than the moment where I have to hit the "I believe" button for that bit in TWOK where they take down the shields with a code, that was put in there to prevent someone from taking someone's shields down remotely (FTW?) TWOK was one of the best of the TOS movies, which is amazing to me since I can't stand the episode "Space Seed". Most of the other movies had much worse plot holes. What I think alot of people missed about ST2009 was it brought some pure adventurism back into the franchise, which is something that got lost with TNG
Lt. Commander
# 90
03-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Other than the moment where I have to hit the "I believe" button for that bit in TWOK where they take down the shields with a code, that was put in there to prevent someone from taking someone's shields down remotely (FTW?) TWOK was one of the best of the TOS movies, which is amazing to me since I can't stand the episode "Space Seed". Most of the other movies had much worse plot holes. What I think alot of people missed about ST2009 was it brought some pure adventurism back into the franchise, which is something that got lost with TNG
Actually, there's another LARGE plothole in STII:TWoK:

Chekov (using the Reliant's sensors) somehow FAILS to notice that Ceti Aplha VI blew up (we're somehow supposed to believe that the debris field is somehow obscured from his sensor scans and futher - that the explosion of Ceti Alpha VI managed to push Ceti Alpha V in to the EXACT same orbit Ceti Alpha VI previoiusly occupied??!! (ie the Library computer didn't indicate all these discreptencies about the Ceti Alpha system as the ship approached)

^^^^
All that said, the REASON STII:TWoK is so enjoyed (even with the plotholes) is because of how the characters were written and portrayed - and good execution of the better/stronger elements of the story as a whole.)