Lt. Commander
We selected four fan favorites from the Foundry for Star Trek Online to feature on Holodeck. Learn more here.

Link to the news article.

We also spoke at greater length with the four spotlighted authors. We asked each what his or her inspiration was for the mission he or she created. Read their answers here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Garret, The Longing
I wanted to pursue this crazy idea of a colony wanting to be assimilated by the Borg, obstructing every move by the player to save them. The hard part was to figure out, how such a story could make sense. Burrowing a tiny bit from "Star Trek: Generations" and the "Star Trek: Voyager" episode "Hope and Fear" did the trick. Also, I wanted the Borg to be fear inspiring and relentless. So in the end they actually win the day and the player needs to limp back home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Revo, Crouching Ty'gokor Hidden Demon
The inspiration really started from the DS9 episode 'Apocalypse Rising'. It showed the Klingon world of Ty'gokor and the images from the episode have always stuck with me as a place that I would personally love to see in STO. After creating the location, I wanted to add a story and a threat to Ty'Gokor that would be fitting for one of the Empires most important strategic locations. My goal, was to make a genuinely authentic Klingon experience for anyone who played it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriedem, Unholy Alliances, Part I
The inspiration this mission came from my desire to create an origin story mission for each of my toons. My Orion female, Oriellas, was betrayed by her siblings and sold into slavery. I wasn't ready to begin this story. So, in order to learn the tools, I set out to create a slave auction.

I wanted Drozana Station to be the setting for my mission, but I was restricted to current game assets. This meant using a Ferengi as the mission's primary contact, and the "hidden door" behind the bar as the entrance to the slave auction. So, I began researching the Ferengi.

They are a colorful species. When it comes to latinum and profit, no one is more ruthless and scandalous. They already view females as property, so it wasn't a stretch for them to be involved in a slave auction. However, it seemed doubtful that they would be directly responsible for a slave auction, so I made them willing accomplices.

The story needed a big bad that was behind the whole darn thing. I wanted to do something different. I wanted to introduce a new threat. So, taking the worst of the worst, I came up with the Claw.

By this time, I knew that the whole story couldn't be told in a single episode. Vaguely, I had plotted out four more missions. So, I expanded the story to become more of a mystery in order to set up the rest of the missions in the arc.

Different parts of the story were inspired or came about for different reasons. I'm glad that it all came together just right, because it could have very well gone the other way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactrix, The Syndicate Extraction
I wanted to create a mission that expanded upon the stories that exist in the current Star Trek Online universe. For "The Syndicate Extraction", I chose to focus on the Orions, as I wasn't satisfied with just the few appearances they've made in early missions. I did some research on the Orion Syndicate beforehand (such as cultural references and their current political position in the 25th Century) and wanted to weave that information into the dialogues of the various NPCs you can interact with. Ultimately, I wanted to make something that felt like an interactive episode of Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Hi Rekhan. I noticed in the "Learn" tab of the new Foundry section on the website it doesnt mention that you need to go to Tribble to be able to use the Foundry. I know that is mentioneded in the FAQ, but since the "Learn" section comes first many people are likely to try to follow those steps and get frustrated when they cant get it to work on holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Hi Rekhan. I noticed in the "Learn" tab of the new Foundry section on the website it doesnt mention that you need to go to Tribble to be able to use the Foundry. I know that is mentioneded in the FAQ, but since the "Learn" section comes first many people are likely to try to follow those steps and get frustrated when they cant get it to work on holodeck.
Good call. Updated that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Since the players did the work for you, why didnt you pick an equal number of Klingon missions?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the news, Rekhan, and thanks to the authors for all their work! I look forward to trying out their missions!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2011, 04:50 PM
It should also be noted that some of these missions are only available to players of a certain level, so if you are not yet that level you will not see them. It might be nice to add the level requirement to each mission description.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
Since the players did the work for you, why didnt you pick an equal number of Klingon missions?
they are four fan favorite missions, and the equality of fed to klingon missions is not part of it, the fan votes were
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
Perhaps they did not have enough good ones to feature? perhaps they were basing it on the populations of each side? Who knows. At least they added one.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2011, 05:19 PM
So when and how do we plays these bad boys on holodeck?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennjahn View Post
So when and how do we plays these bad boys on holodeck?
Open up your journal and click on the community authored tab. If you meet the level requirements it will show up.