Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Hi everyone,

Here is the audio for the second conference call with Cryptic, if you want to listen. This post also includes a very brief interview with Stormshade about the conferences.

Please leave feedback. Also, sorry about the quality of the recording. It was a last minute thing that I scrambled together and surprised the devs with:

Link: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/unc...dry-community/

It is unedited, so you may have to skip a few seconds at the beginning.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Hi everyone,

Here is the audio for the second conference call with Cryptic, if you want to listen. This post also includes a very brief interview with Stormshade about the conferences.

Please leave feedback. Also, sorry about the quality of the recording. It was a last minute thing that I scrambled together and surprised the devs with:

Link: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/unc...dry-community/

It is unedited, so you may have to skip a few seconds at the beginning.
Thanks for doing your bit to ensure transparency.

However, Stormshade's comments just prove the point I made when I first heard about this. A secretly hand-picked group of players are now directly influencing the development of the game. Exactly what was feared when the Advisory Council was announced last year. Nothing against the guys who were picked, you understand. It's just a terrible precedent to set.

As the Grand Nagus himself said, before he was picked to be part of this group:
Quote:
IMO, all paying customers should have equal voice, and there shouldnt be some elite group of representitives that either receives more attention or has greater influence than any random poster on the forums.

(Source: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...16&postcount=5)
I'd have posted this on SBUGC, but the front page is drenched in spoiler spam and egos. Oh, and the chat doesn't work anymore.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
Oh, and the chat doesn't work anymore.
Just a quick fyi, because I don't have time to fully respond to many of your valid concerns. We replaced the chat that wasn't working for people yesterday with an irc client. So, it should be working again. Sorry for the problems with the chat.

I look forward to reading more relevant responses to your post.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
Thanks for doing your bit to ensure transparency.

However, Stormshade's comments just prove the point I made when I first heard about this. A secretly hand-picked group of players are now directly influencing the development of the game. Exactly what was feared when the Advisory Council was announced last year. Nothing against the guys who were picked, you understand. It's just a terrible precedent to set.

As the Grand Nagus himself said, before he was picked to be part of this group:


I'd have posted this on SBUGC, but the front page is drenched in spoiler spam and egos. Oh, and the chat doesn't work anymore.
Since you quoted me, I'd like to respond to the issues you've raised. Firstly, I still agree with what I said in that quote. Secondly, though I was picked for said group, I was unfortunately unable to make the call due to RL responsibilities.

That said, I think there is a significant difference between the advisory council and this phone conference. The reason is because the advisory council was going to be giving feedback on the overall game, and that feedback would effect everyone who played it. However, this conference group is specifically discussing the Foundry, which people dont even have to play if they dont want to. The Foundry is an optional form of gameplay, but nothing required to play the game itself.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Since you quoted me, I'd like to respond to the issues you've raised. Firstly, I still agree with what I said in that quote. Secondly, though I was picked for said group, I was unfortunately unable to make the call due to RL responsibilities.
Fair point. RL trumps game in all cases.

I'm glad you still stand by the quote - I really didn't want to get into an extended debate on the exact definition of the word 'representitive'.


Quote:
That said, I think there is a significant difference between the advisory council and this phone conference. The reason is because the advisory council was going to be giving feedback on the overall game, and that feedback would effect everyone who played it. However, this conference group is specifically discussing the Foundry, which people dont even have to play if they dont want to. The Foundry is an optional form of gameplay, but nothing required to play the game itself.
I'd have to disagree with you there. MMO games are not a collection of discrete elements. Development of one game mechanic will have a knock-on effect on how the rest of the game is played.

The Foundry is another game mechanic. Although it is used at the moment for creating missions, the intent is to integrate it into other gameplay systems such as Ship Interiors, and allowing users to create new PVP maps.

A change in The Foundry is a change in the game's ecosystem. It will affect everything. Otherwise, what's the point?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Hopefully, if there are future feedback conferences, it won't just be the same people picked before - it will also be expanded to more people. I think you can hear at the beginning of the call, Jackalope explains that some of the people present were ones he saw on starbase ugc, in the forum and whose missions he'd played. I'm sure there will be more people who the devs will want to be involved as they trawl through the various places we hang out.

I tried to relay other users' feedback during the call live from the starbase ugc chat room, and I hope that helped the devs get a wider sample of suggestions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-19-2011, 02:58 PM
The reason people were asked for the conference call was for a brainstorming session with the devs.

The reason some were chosen was due to their proficiency with the Foundry. Literally anyone could've been chosen: so long as they had met whatever internal metric Cryptic used to determine Foundry proficiency (a lot of closed beta testers were asked in on the call; probably due to their proficiency and knowing the limitations so far).

Hopefully, permission from the devs was obtained to post this recording but I think the community would appreciate the fact the devs went outside the forums to hear Foundry feature requests or bug fix needs in long-form.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Yes, Kirk got permission from all parties involved in the call before he posted it, just to be sure noone had an issue.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
Yes, Kirk got permission from all parties involved in the call before he posted it, just to be sure noone had an issue.
Cool! Glad to hear.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-20-2011, 06:20 AM
On a related note, I think any such future communications should be publicly released like this. That allows the people who arent chosen to know exactly what is said, and to voice their agreement or disagreement with any feedback given.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 AM.