Lt. Commander
# 11
02-20-2011, 07:02 AM
I believe that is talked about early on in the interview, said something about a podcast. Good idea for sure.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
On a related note, I think any such future communications should be publicly released like this. That allows the people who arent chosen to know exactly what is said, and to voice their agreement or disagreement with any feedback given.
That's a good idea.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Yes, I should have explained in the op that I had Cryptic's permission and the permission of each participant to release this audio. I've actually been sitting on it for quite a few weeks, making sure all is legit and waiting for Cryptic to have their own chance via SS to better introduce the call before I made it public.

And I agree that a podcast of future calls is a great idea. Transparency may not alleviate all of some concerns about elitism and a "council," but transparency certainly helps.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
And I agree that a podcast of future calls is a great idea. Transparency may not alleviate all of some concerns about elitism and a "council," but transparency certainly helps.
Agreed. And despite my reservations at the way this was introduced, you've done a sterling job for the community at large. Transparency is crucial - even if it's just to cover your own back.

Like I said, I've got nothing against those who got the golden ticket. I just don't believe "internal metrics" are the best way to involve or inspire the greater community. Especially as these metrics seem to favour "forum personalities" or those of previous privilege, (itself granted by internal metric.)

By not allowing any paying customer an equal opportunity to contribute; the community becomes fractured between 'haves' and 'have nots', with the line dividing the two obfuscated.

I'm not saying interaction with the community is a bad idea. I think it's wonderfully progressive and should be encouraged.

However, by keeping the entry criteria a secret, it's always going to appear an 'exclusive club' for the lucky few. Some of which have already been flaunting their privilege over on SBUGC, which in turn has driven away a few regular contributors.

To stave off the inevitable strawman response; note the word "opportunity". I don't expect anyone from Cryptic to be fielding conference calls with every player at once.

All they need to do is ask for contributors. To closed Redshirt betas, conference calls, or whatever other feedback-gathering events are in the pipeline. Sure, they'll get a lot of responses; but at least those responding will feel they're being heard, even if they're not ultimately chosen.

They can end up selecting the people they'd have secretly picked anyway, but this way maintains the illusion of transparency and fairness.

Which is all that really matters.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-20-2011, 09:32 PM
and here I thought we had forums for such discussions...
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-20-2011, 10:36 PM
I guess I'll just have to keep yelling from the peanut gallery and maybe I'll get some action around here... or else all my mail keeps getting lost still... perhaps my ISP is conspiring against me...

At least the people that are involved are trying to keep us all clued into what's going on... besides... I suppose they already know my opinion... I'm getting tired of reading my own posts and I guess the Dev's are as well...
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-21-2011, 04:06 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post the recording. Transparency is always a good thing. (Except for maybe some of the people I have seen at Walmart, but I digress

It sounds like the focus group gave Cryptic some good suggestions and Cryptic is looking to come back to the focus group again in the future for more input.

However, it seems like Cryptic has found their favorite group of authors based off of some comments made, and they are a part of this group. In a sense, these author’s missions could be construed as “Dev Favorites” already and that could carry a lot of weight with the player base (maybe even more so than the rating system). This makes me reconsider even writing anymore missions, as mine would not have such an endorsement.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Having a group of players who are self-taught foundry is a good idea.
As for the "bias" of having this elite group I'm not worried and would have done the same. Armchair developers are abundant here and most have neither the skill, drive, nor intelligence to be of any help. Making the metric known publically would bring cries of "that's not fair" across the land.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-21-2011, 07:36 AM
From what I've seen of this 'special' group so far, they seem to be very open to other people's ideas and problems. In the end, every decision that is made, whether in this game or in any other other business, there is always just a small focus group that is used to make decisions, maybe bigger if the company is large enough to do that.

I do believe the devs use these forums for their decisions too, as was mentioned in the podcast by Jack I believe. But even taking these forums, we are still only a small group within the very large player base. the special group, I believe, showed that they were very serious about the Foundry, tested is a lot and were able to make great missions from them. What better group could you find to make a focus group from.

I think we should use what is given to us. Keep making suggestions here on the forums but also now, maybe throw some ideas to these fine people who were chosen to put in their personal time to help make the game better.

Here's a few of my suggestions:
1. Ability to choose transitions. Example- Beam out, fade to black already given. But how about Dream sequence blur or a strange natural event that causes you to be transported somewhere, or be memory wiped or any other thing that happened to often in Trek.
2. Actions for NPC contacts and not just NPC groups. That would be a huge help for me and others as I've read through these posts.
3. Music selection and sound effect placements within maps. Nothing adds more mood than noise!
4. A whole underwater map would be fantastic, as was mentioned in the podcast, but not just for a space map but also a ground map.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCouto View Post

1. Ability to choose transitions. Example- Beam out, fade to black already given. But how about Dream sequence blur or a strange natural event that causes you to be transported somewhere, or be memory wiped or any other thing that happened to often in Trek.
2. Actions for NPC contacts and not just NPC groups. That would be a huge help for me and others as I've read through these posts.
Just fyi, both of these suggestions were made during the first conference. I asked for animations to be added to the map transition tab. Since those animations are already in the foundry, then we should be able to use them as they're intended, choosing to beam out, warp in, or nothing like when transitioning into a building.

Cryptic also stated that they are very, very aware that npcs need to be beefed up. I think that they hate it that many authors aren't using the npc contacts as intended, because they are so lifeless.