Lt. Commander
# 1 Trill and the Borg
02-19-2011, 10:01 AM
My friend and I have been going back and watching DS9 through Netflix since he has never seen it. And while watching it I noticed something. The Trill are all about the Symbiote, and their entire civilization is based around the Symbiote, they even regard the life of one higher than they do the life of a Trill. I began to notice the reason behind this ideology is the preservation of not so much the Symbiote it's self but the memories stored within, dont get me wrong they almost worship the Symbiote but I dont think they would if the Symbiote didn't preserve their memories. Trill desire the memories of others i.e. the other hosts in order to make themselves better and become someone entirely new, thus enriching the life of the symbiote, host, and society.

This led me to the question: Would Trill be ok with being assimilated? since it would be the ultimate expression of the communal sharing of knowledge and past lives, both gone and freshly added. I guess the Trill society would be super angry to lose a Symbiote in the process of just one joined Trill being assimilated, but would society as a whole welcome the arrival of a cube or two to assimilate their species? I mean after all they said there was alot of Trill that wanted a Symbiote but not enough to go around.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderchase View Post
This led me to the question: Would Trill be ok with being assimilated?
I think if the Borg are inefficient. When they go to a new planet, they should explain the benefits of being Borg to those people. A small portion of the population will probably elect to go through it, maybe just 0.1%. With a population like Earth's, that'd still be 7 million people. That'd keep em busy for a long time and give them pretty much all of the world knowledge pool. Then they can leave and go do the same to other civilizations out there.

Fighting people just seems to be a waste of resources. They could've had members of every civilization in the galaxy assimilated by now if they just picked up a portion of each. Plus, as shown on Voyager, it's in their best interest to leave some people unassimilated so they can approach problems from a different perspective and develop unique technology. I think it's the queen's fault, she's ticked off about something and taking it out on everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-19-2011, 10:28 AM
To become borg is to become a lifeless machine of what you once were. You may share the memories of countless other races but you would not have any kind of emotion towards them. It is definitely not what a trill would want
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
I think it's the queen's fault, she's ticked off about something and taking it out on everyone.
The queen is ticked off that hort dumped her for having too many piercings. :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
To become borg is to become a lifeless machine of what you once were. You may share the memories of countless other races but you would not have any kind of emotion towards them. It is definitely not what a trill would want
perhaps, but the trill government all but said on more than one occasion that they dont give a flip what the populace wants, its all for the preservation of the symbiote and the furtherment of their collective lives. And the Borg are the most fully expressed version of thier ideaology, that I know of anyway.

Becoming emotionless may not be appealing but as far as we know the borg are eternal until killed. I have never seen statistics on a Borg Drone's lifespan so I dont know if it is possible for one to eventually fail or not. But their memories live on long after the individual is dead, as long as there is a collective to sustain it. Thus enriching and enhancing the the collective. It could even be that those past conciousness still contribute to the collective's think tank. Much the same way the Trill society already works, just on a much smaller scale.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
The queen is ticked off that hort dumped her for having too many piercings. :p
Typical date:
"You want some popcorn and a movie?"
"I've already processed every movie ever made, and my nutrition is furnished by my built in replication systems."
"Ummm how about a board game? Chess?"
"I have calculated every possible outcome of this game with finite moves. If you go first, you have a single initial move that will ensure your victory, otherwise you will lose."
"Well, it's better than nothing.... pawn to --" "You lost."

-tries a different approach and holds her hand-
"OUCH! Your ... circuit board thing is sharp."
"A drone has shielded skin to prevent such injuries. You would also do well to have a cybernetic regenerator. You would make an excellent drone, hort. The process begins with a minor piercing first."
"Umm, I'm sorry, I already swore my fealty to the empress!" -runs away-
"Curse you, my nemesis empress! Curse you!!!!"
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
Typical date:
"You want some popcorn and a movie?"
"I've already processed every movie ever made, and my nutrition is furnished by my built in replication systems."
"Ummm how about a board game? Chess?"
"I have calculated every possible outcome of this game with finite moves. If you go first, you have a single initial move that will ensure your victory, otherwise you will lose."
"Well, it's better than nothing.... pawn to --" "You lost."

-tries a different approach and holds her hand-
"OUCH! Your ... circuit board thing is sharp."
"A drone has shielded skin to prevent such injuries. You would also do well to have a cybernetic regenerator. You would make an excellent drone, hort. The process begins with a minor piercing first."
"Umm, I'm sorry, I already swore my fealty to the empress!" -runs away-
"Curse you, my nemesis empress! Curse you!!!!"
lol

Well I think alot of trill, in the symbiosis commission at the very least would be ok with assimilation. And while I am on the topic of things that would be OK with assimilation, I am betting the Binar would welcome it as well.