Lt. Commander
Hello Cryptic an Forums.

I've been playing Star Trek Online a lot lately (its AWESOME). And tried using different types of Space energy weapon. It seems to me that their really isn't really any good difference between them for an actual strategy. The fact that the 2.5% chance is there is the worst. Because other than that miniscule chance to do a little something all other weapons are the same (other than pretty color), I've taken it upon myself to see if there was any way to make them more interesting and increase picking strategy:

ALL Abilities are non stacking, ( even if you have 6 of the same type, the effect will only be x1, not x6)

PHASERS- the passive abilty to drain up to 10% weapon power against single target over 10 sec (thats 1 drain per second until reaching 10, then just stays at 10). The counter: Must stay on a single target for 10 seconds at least, to get a good effect.

DISRUPTORS- passive ability to decrease enemy hull damage resistance by up to 10% over 10 sec (over 10 seconds enemy hull damage resistance slowly decreases by 5%). The counter: Enemies not affected until shields are down, so disruptors need to touch the hull before debuff starts, also Ablative Generators is not affected, and enemies with Tact Team can counter it for 10 seconds.

PLASMA- passive ability to deal +5% bleedthrough damage (thats 15% bleedthrough instead of the typical 10% on most shields). The counter: Resilient shields get a +5% resistance to Plasma weapon damage

TETRYON- passive ability to deal +5% shield damage. The counter: They deal -5% Hull damage

POLORON- passive ability to drain ALL power from enemy engines over 30 seconds. The counter: They only drain the set amount of power (if power level is 75/60, they will drain only 60, so they do not account for the additional power)

ANTIPROTON- passive ability to deal additional 10% Hull damage to Borg and Undine enemies. The counter: -5% damage dealt against all other enemy shields (Klingon, Romulan, Cardasssian)

Anyways let me know what you think.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Your understanding of weapon procs is way off. From some of the things you talk about, its sounds like you may be confusing special features of uncommon, rare and very rare weapons with procs.

Read this to get a better understanding of the weapon procs:

http://www.stowiki.org/Ship_Weapon
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEMAN97
Hello Cryptic an Forums.

I've been playing Star Trek Online a lot lately (its AWESOME). And tried using different types of Space energy weapon. It seems to me that their really isn't really any good difference between them for an actual strategy. The fact that the 2.5% chance is there is the worst. Because other than that miniscule chance to do a little something all other weapons are the same (other than pretty color), I've taken it upon myself to see if there was any way to make them more interesting and increase picking strategy:

ALL Abilities are non stacking, ( even if you have 6 of the same type, the effect will only be x1, not x6)

PHASERS- the passive abilty to drain up to 10% weapon power against single target over 10 sec (thats 1 drain per second until reaching 10, then just stays at 10). The counter: Must stay on a single target for 10 seconds at least, to get a good effect.

DISRUPTORS- passive ability to decrease enemy hull damage resistance by up to 10% over 10 sec (over 10 seconds enemy hull damage resistance slowly decreases by 5%). The counter: Enemies not affected until shields are down, so disruptors need to touch the hull before debuff starts, also Ablative Generators is not affected, and enemies with Tact Team can counter it for 10 seconds.

PLASMA- passive ability to deal +5% bleedthrough damage (thats 15% bleedthrough instead of the typical 10% on most shields). The counter: Resilient shields get a +5% resistance to Plasma weapon damage

TETRYON- passive ability to deal +5% shield damage. The counter: They deal -5% Hull damage

POLORON- passive ability to drain ALL power from enemy engines over 30 seconds. The counter: They only drain the set amount of power (if power level is 75/60, they will drain only 60, so they do not account for the additional power)

ANTIPROTON- passive ability to deal additional 10% Hull damage to Borg and Undine enemies. The counter: -5% damage dealt against all other enemy shields (Klingon, Romulan, Cardasssian)

Anyways let me know what you think.
is this a suggestion?

if it is, please make it more clear; i've run into people thinking these were the actual effects, and wasted time straitening them out.

if it isn't.... well then you need to look back at what you are talking about.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumibe
Your understanding of weapon procs is way off. From some of the things you talk about, its sounds like you may be confusing special features of uncommon, rare and very rare weapons with procs.

Read this to get a better understanding of the weapon procs:

http://www.stowiki.org/Ship_Weapon
umm.... no. I understand perfectly, but you can't let the weapon types to be overpowered in anyway. You can't let the phasers just permanently disable a random subsystem as long as you are firing on enemy. I just needed to make tweaks so the differences would be small enough not to be overpowered, but different enough to require strategy. You read my post didn't you?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-15-2011, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERLOURD
is this a suggestion?

if it is, please make it more clear; i've run into people thinking these were the actual effects, and wasted time straitening them out.

if it isn't.... well then you need to look back at what you are talking about.
NO! This is not in anyway the way the game is right now! THIS IS ONLY A SUGGESTION! I just thought it would seem like a good idea, so as to make the weapons different for more than 97.5% of the time
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-15-2011, 06:53 AM
Your weapons proc more often than you think. Remember that you might have six energy weapons firing at the same time, so that increases your chances quite considerably and also that 2.5% chance is per volley (~14%). Different weapons have different firing times, but you can easily expect to see a few weapon procs per game (very roughly 1 proc per minute if you really need a rate...) Another thing to consider is that weapon procs are not meant to be game changing; I now pick weapons based on the color.

I do, however, think that some of the procs need a slight buff to make them more competitive, or else bring all the weapon types to the same skill point level and having no weapon type that is 'better' than the other.