Lt. Commander
# 1 Grammar in Frozen
02-19-2011, 11:54 AM
When interviewing the first encountered Reman Resistance, and asked;
What so you want when this conflict ends?
he states...
What do I want? I cannot answer that question. All I wanted - all I will ever want -- died with my wife.
Firstly, he answers the question precluding the statement that he cannot, then the next sentance is incomplete, it should read,
All I want, all I have ever wanted, is to have died with my wife.
Or something to that effect.

Hope this helps.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faelon View Post
When interviewing the first encountered Reman Resistance, and asked;
What so you want when this conflict ends?
he states...
What do I want? I cannot answer that question. All I wanted - all I will ever want -- died with my wife.
Firstly, he answers the question precluding the statement that he cannot, then the next sentance is incomplete, it should read,
All I want, all I have ever wanted, is to have died with my wife.
Or something to that effect.

Hope this helps.
I believe you are misreading the intent and tone of the message. The Reman's wife died. The intent he is expressing is not a desire to die with his wife as a future goal, but rather that he is now hopeless, depressed and grieving the loss of a loved one. As such he does not think about the future or an end to his suffering. So, in effect, he cannot answer the question of what he wants as his hopes and aspirations were tied to his life with his spouse, a path that is no longer available to him and he has not arrived at an emotional state that would allow him to reevaluate his future. He's concentrating on his pain and the resistance.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Ah I see what you mean. In that case it should have read;
All I ever wanted - died with my wife.
The second thought is superfluous as grammaticaly it is a conflicting notion Wanted and want in the same breath and causes the thought to hiccup.

i stand corrected but it is still not grammaticaly correct.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-19-2011, 01:53 PM
You are reading dialogue... it doesn't have to be grammatically correct.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-19-2011, 02:04 PM
mabye he is so distraught with remembering his wife, his love, dreams, hopes that he simply makes a slip of the tongue. Most people do not have perfect grammer all of the time, and when emotionally influenced I tend to think it gets worse-that would be one of my rationals for him. poor guy