Lt. Commander
# 11
02-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
In STO they call themselves the Terran Federation, not Empire.

I think new weekly series with them should answer these questions, or maybe a proper story arc in Season four. They kind of just show up with little explanation other than that they tried to invade our space with the help of the True Way and that presumably there is a power vacuum left from the removal of O'Brian by his son and then the removal of the son by us.
There is a VERY old comic that gives a huge amount of info on this subject. I think it was about 100 pages or something big... I'll look up the name later...I don't know which comic bin it's in :p
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Meet Your (Terran) Master

The Terran Federation is cool: they're mustachioed, beefy, and fly Galaxies with purple deflectors. They also form Queen tribute bands.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Have they had operatives on our side for decades copying our tech?
Yep.

At least in other Trek fiction. For instance they built their own version of the Voyager, and it showed up in our universe before the real one ever made it home. And there were sleeper agents on a lot of Starfleet veseels, including the Enterprise.

Of course, this was a Shatner book. But the other writers tend to use the stuff that happened in those books as long as they don't directly contradict things.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-19-2011, 05:06 PM
In DS9 they seemed to have become pretty good at recreating the transporter accident that originally took Kirk and Spock over there, I would assume they've made good use of that to rebuild their technology. They've got identical twins of pretty much any Starfleet officer they could want, inserting and extracting operatives would be next to trivial.

As for the Enterprise thing, they never did reveal what happens after Hoshi takes over the Defiant and delivers her demands. The ship may have been powerful, but it was also in bad shape and if I remember correctly not all systems were fully functional because equipment had been removed or packed up for removal. It could have been destroyed rather than hand over the Empire to Hoshi. The casualties would have been immense, but it could have been done.

Just for starters, considering the all around more militaristic culture in the mirror universe, Earth likely had a considerable stockpile of nuclear or better weapons. Based on the TOS tech manual's descriptions of a photon torpedo vs. the Enterprise's shields, ~6000 megatons worth of ordinance would be enough to destroy it. The Defiant probably would take less in its condition. Earth could have easily marshalled that during the Cold War, if mirror universe Earth can't get that much firepower downrange I'd be a bit disappointed to be honest.

The ship would have been a huge loss on its own, even without the damage it would do before it went down, but dictators have always gladly destroyed the best parts of their empires rather than give them up.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-19-2011, 05:17 PM
meh lets just pretend ds9 was a hoax... and the Terran Empire never fell.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-19-2011, 05:36 PM
The ideals of the Terran Empire never died.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Yep.

At least in other Trek fiction. For instance they built their own version of the Voyager, and it showed up in our universe before the real one ever made it home. And there were sleeper agents on a lot of Starfleet vessels, including the Enterprise.

Of course, this was a Shatner book. But the other writers tend to use the stuff that happened in those books as long as they don't directly contradict things.
Works for me.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSterling
The ideals of the Terran Empire never died.
dam right.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
So in TOS they were at about the same technological level. ENT revealed that they had access to a constitution-class ship like 100 years prior. Basically even with that boost they were still barely able to keep even with the Federation in the normal universe.

Then the Terran Empire falls. We see that the Klingons are about at the same technological place as the normal universe. However, despite being previously basically static in their technological advancements they made a huge leap to still be even in technology with the current Federation. They regrew their power and advanced.

My problem is... how the heck did they manage that? The Terran Empire hasn't been too good with technology in the past. What logic has given them access to basically exactly the same ship classes? Have they had operatives on our side for decades copying our tech? That's the only thing I can think of that would make sense.

I don't see the technologically challenged Terran Empire who's been broken and re-pieced together still being at an even level as the normal Federation. They're pumping out the same classes. Basically the same tech. It's a bit too much suspension of disbelief for me unless they've just been stealing the main universe's technology all this time.
I have a few problems related to the Terran Federation/Empire as it is in STO. First is the technology issue that you mention, although with a different spin. My problem is, how could the Terrans have assembled a strong enough fleet to challenge the Klingon/Cardassian alliance in the three or four decades since winning their freedom? Ok, so they're stealing tech from the prime universe, cheap writing but they've done it before so fine, whatever. But that still doesn't explain how they got the resources to put together a fleet that size, especially since they were starting from scratch after being free of the Alliance. The other thing is, wouldn't the Terrans be more concerned with a strong defensive force *before* expanding into conquest? They were on the raggedy edge when they won their freedom, the Alliance could've steamrolled them easily, so wouldn't the Terrans be worrying about defending their piddly little planets more than conquering the Alliance?

Second, they're evil conquerors again? They're different from the prime universe, sure. They probably don't have a Prime Directive or anything to keep them from taking over primitive planets. Fine. And they're probably p*ssed at the Alliance and have some desire for revenge. Understandable. But come on, going from Smiley's rebellion and all of the anti-oppression stuff to the big bad conquerors just makes no sense. And speaking of Smiley, what the hell is up with his son? Did his schoolmates drag the kid through mud and rocks by his ********s? Smiley was a nice guy who didn't look kindly upon abuse, so what the hell happened turn his son into such a sadistic b*stard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck360
Because its good for the plot?
Nope, because the fans wanted the Mirror Universe involved in STO somehow, regardless of whether it made sense.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-19-2011, 05:50 PM
The remants of the Alliance most likely did that... or... he killed him under orders from someone else... of higher rank.. thus got given the task of conquering the federation.