Lt. Commander
# 1 Frozen
02-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Well, I'm hanging in a micronebula while a Romulan Warbird is hunting for a Reman scout ship. My orders are not to provoke either side, and my presence hasn't been discovered, so I'm left wondering why the only way to progress is to PROVOKE THE ROMULANS?

This irritates me. Bad enough we're involving ourselves in internal affairs of the Romulan Empire and violated their territory to do it, but now I'm expected to attack (and likely destroy, since enemies always fight to the death for no particular reason) a Romulan ship in Romulan space? There's an expression to describe that: ACT OF WAR.

We needed another option.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Ooooook... I said I wouldn't stop him, and suddenly I'm his ALLY? It's not Starfleet's place to get in his way, but it's not Starfleet's place to fight as his ally, either.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Inaction doesn't mean you won't wind up with blood on your hands.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-19-2011, 05:43 PM
The way I saw it, Obisek's cause was not the questionable issue so much as the tool he'd resort to to fulfill his aims: thalaron weapons.

However, Romulans have begun using Thalaron weaponry themselves: most especially obvious with the thalaron drones and mines. So, I end up having two sides fighting each other with one basically bent on subjugating and oppressing the other. Both are using Thalaron weaponry.

I actually paid that dilemma a lot of thought. I asked myself "what would my captain do?". After pondering that, I decided that the Remans were worth helping. If I'm helping them seek freedom, then I can involve Starfleet in supporting thier noncombatants. If I help them, then my involvement will surely bring that debacle to a close sooner - the faster this ends, the less thalaron weapons will be used - hopefully.

Also, with Obisek valuing me as an ally (even if I'm not bringing as much on the table as he'd hope - but hey: help is help), the chances of me being close enough to make the difference should he go and do something monumentally stupid with a Thalaron weapon are that much greater. As the old saying goes: "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

The Tal Shiar clearly is gunning down civilians and using Thalaron weaponry with abandon. With that alone, my assisting in making the Reman refugees be safe and side against them is justified. If the Tal Shiar actually do not represent the Romulan Star Empire and serve other masters with different agendas... then I can afford confronting them further - perhaps that organization can hatch sinister plots, but confronting that organization alone is not like confronting the Romulan Military: it should have less likelyhood of sparking a Romulan/Federation war.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
The way I saw it, Obisek's cause was not the questionable issue so much as the tool he'd resort to to fulfill his aims: thalaron weapons.

However, Romulans have begun using Thalaron weaponry themselves: most especially obvious with the thalaron drones and mines. So, I end up having two sides fighting each other with one basically bent on subjugating and oppressing the other. Both are using Thalaron weaponry.

I actually paid that dilemma a lot of thought. I asked myself "what would my captain do?". After pondering that, I decided that the Remans were worth helping. If I'm helping them seek freedom, then I can involve Starfleet in supporting thier noncombatants. If I help them, then my involvement will surely bring that debacle to a close sooner - the faster this ends, the less thalaron weapons will be used - hopefully.

Also, with Obisek valuing me as an ally (even if I'm not bringing as much on the table as he'd hope - but hey: help is help), the chances of me being close enough to make the difference should he go and do something monumentally stupid with a Thalaron weapon are that much greater. As the old saying goes: "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

The Tal Shiar clearly is gunning down civilians and using Thalaron weaponry with abandon. With that alone, my assisting in making the Reman refugees be safe and side against them is justified. If the Tal Shiar actually do not represent the Romulan Star Empire and serve other masters with different agendas... then I can afford confronting them further - perhaps that organization can hatch sinister plots, but confronting that organization alone is not like confronting the Romulan Military: it should have less likelyhood of sparking a Romulan/Federation war.
I agree, I love dilemmas like this. The problem I had was there were really only two choices, when there should have been three. You could oppose Obisek, assist Obisek, or stay neutral. The way the choices we had were worded, I thought we had the first and last choices (oppose or neutral). Turns out in choosing to stay neutral, I was supporting him. Not what I expected.

Still, the mission is fairly decent. I like that there was a choice at all, I just think they missed one option.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-19-2011, 06:04 PM
While neutrality sounds like a viable option, itīs also a boring one. Cīmon, we want to be involved in these things, otherwise all we could do is sit around all being neutral and pet our tribbles.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-19-2011, 06:05 PM
You're forgetting key aspects of this here: The Tal Shiar are not operating on behalf of the Romulan government anymore, they're acting independently and under the control of an external faction. Since someone else (Iconians) are already muddling in Romulan affairs, the prime directive no longer applies.

And you're taking "Ally" way too literally. It's just a factor of the game mechanics that a nonaggressive entity is rendered as "ally". Calm down and accept the fact that a game has some limitations on it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Based on the mentions of the Tal'Shiar's hidden masters and Obisek's description of demons, I'm guessing that we're dealing with a more subtle re-invasion of the Alpha Quadrant by the Furies. (As seen in the 4-novel series released back in '96.) That's what informed my decision to ally myself with him in the fight in his base and in the future. The last thing the species of our quadrant need is those ancient nightmares coming back to reclaim their "Heaven." We have enough to deal with from the Borg and Undine.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Since when do the actions of non-federation members validate breaking it ? Just because the Iconians meddle doesnīt mean the prime directive is lifted.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-19-2011, 06:18 PM
*shrug* Prime Directive is overrated to begin with. An excuse for sitting back and doing nothing. Kirk was right to ignore it so often.