Lt. Commander
# 21
02-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
i'm not sure you quite understand what 2D and 3D means. it means there are either 2, or 3 dimensions. for example you, as a person, are living in 3-dimensional space, space combat in sto happens in a 3-dimensional space also, it is not 2D.
Im sure he understands. If it had to be said specifically, it would be single plane combat instead of 2D.

I'll probably play this just because its free.

But it smells like spruced up Star trek DAC, really.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
i'm not sure you quite understand what 2D and 3D means. it means there are either 2, or 3 dimensions. for example you, as a person, are living in 3-dimensional space, space combat in sto happens in a 3-dimensional space also, it is not 2D.
then please do make a barrel roll or a looping.
it's a 3D engine, so is the browser game, but not 3D gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Having more games in the genre is always a good thing. For example I think it is cool to see City of Heroes, DCUO, Champs, and the future Marvel being able to co-exist. It gives players options and as a gamer - I think that is a good thing.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSteel
Doesn't it!!!

I couldn't agree more....

I for one, am looking forward to this "simple browser-based game".
You guy's are getting all excited about a CGI cutscene...which looks absolutely nothing like what the game is actually going to be. Go find a demo of Star Trek D.A.C and play it, that is what ST:IS is going to play like. Top down Isometric view angle which you cannot rotate around. Kinda like an old school RTS camera view. Which sucks. I will take STO's space combat/flight model any day of the week over that.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-20-2011, 12:10 PM
They added Real ingame models of Galaxy Class and Bird of pray.

http://startrek-is.com/game-facts/

it doesnt look that bad.

i am looking forward to it
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-20-2011, 12:19 PM
For any that missed it, I posted a link to some of the music from Infinite Space that was released a few days ago:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=202699
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Having more games in the genre is always a good thing. For example I think it is cool to see City of Heroes, DCUO, Champs, and the future Marvel being able to co-exist. It gives players options and as a gamer - I think that is a good thing.
I think you earn more money when you have a monoply. You can even build houses for extra cash flow.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-20-2011, 01:55 PM
ugh@all these new style 'browser games' that try to pretend they are actual oldschool browser games 'omg look you are playing a game just in firefox!!!!'

System requirements for running these browser games is usually way higher than a seperate client solution would be.

e.g the mini-quake3 browser game system requirments are like 3x more than the standard full version!
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
You heard it here first folks. Cryptic is working on a new Marvel MMO!!!!!!1

Isn't this browser Star Trek game supposed to be open PvP?
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-20-2011, 02:54 PM
For the players, more options is great.
Even if you have a game you really like, it's nice to take a break once in a while and try something else.
For companies, competition is a good thing.
You can't rest on your laurels and have to always improve, otherwise one of the others just might catch up or overtake you.

All in all, it's a different, more casual approach to the genre and license, so I wish them good luck and success.