Lt. Commander
Hello everyone,
As you had insinuated it is about the last Cloaked Intentions Episode "Frozen".
The whole storyline and design of the Weekly series are no question great but one thing.

!!WARNING!! SPOILER

...Admiral T'nae.
It bothers me, that she is actually the only commanding officer over 3 sectors (the whole Romulan Front), who get all the information about any mission the patrolling captains have done. This NPC is all but reasonable at the end of "Frozen" beside this, she definite the Directive 01 IMHO totally wrong for this case.

So let's get started, what enrages me and maybe other players as well:

1. As a Commander or Captain you had already done the Hobus storyline. The daemons of air and darkness (Iconians -we don't really know IC who those are) are revealed for the first time. Actually they are twice in this plot.

2. The Prime Directive says:
Quote:
Nothing within these articles of Federation shall authorize the United Federation of Planets to intervene in matters which are essentially the domestic jurisdiction of any planetary social system, or shall require the members to submit such matters to settlement under these Articles of Federation; but this principle shall not prejudice the application of enforcement measures under Chapter VII.
As the right of each sentient species to live in accordance with its normal cultural evolution is considered sacred, no Starfleet personnel may interfere with the normal and healthy development of alien life and culture. Such interference includes introducing superior knowledge, strength, or technology to a world whose society is incapable of handling such advantages wisely. Starfleet personnel may not violate this Prime Directive, even to save their lives and/or their ship, unless they are acting to right an earlier violation or an accidental contamination of said culture. This directive takes precedence over any and all other considerations, and carries with it the highest moral obligation.
The problem with T'nae is, she assumes that the Reman Freedom fighters are a RSE only matter. Actually the RSE had shown no interest at this matter. The actual enemy of the Resistance is the Tal'Shiar, which is officially not a part of Empress Sela's RSE anymore.
The place where the Reman Resistance and the Tal'Shiar are active is actually just a shattered region, and obvious unclear under which registration. So from this point of view they are having the freelance status.

Beside this, T'nae herself once send us to help and aid Romulan colonies, who became rogue to the RSE. At this point the Federation get engaged technically with the RSE. AND fulfilling those missions any Federation Captain disobeyed the prime Directive.

Now, the Tal'Shiar do genocide the Remans and T'nae says, stay down, and do not help this people at any cost! WHAT? How dubious is this bull? At one side, we help Romulan "traitors", on the other hand, we let a whole race get extinct, because they fight dirty for their freedom and once were slaves of another race.

Hello, Déjà-vu! Does anyone remember the Bajorans? And still, there was the PD used properly and the Federation still could helped them, because there was a govern to handle with.
Here with the Remans we have no expected leaders from the Tal’Shiar. Those are nothing more as a private army of spies, which do not follow the RSE.

So, I am asking now, how could the prime Directive take here effect?
Summarizing:
  • In front of our borders, there is no dedicated faction.
  • Two factions are fighting dirty. (Thalaron radiation)
  • None of them are officially accredited. Neither the Remans, nor the Tal'Shiar.
  • Both of them are shattered pieces of the RSE that has clearly no interest in them.
  • Innocent people are dying, beside this we have hints the Tal'Shiar want to eradicate the Remans.

...and the Federation do absolutely nothing? Not even give medical supply or try to reason with them? T'nae tells us to stand down? WTH?! This is not the way of the Federation, not at all.

I am mad because she didn't try to tell us to get it easy on. Se just says to drop it.

I know, further or later, all could go well in the future episodes, but still T'nae's acting infuriates me and destroy actually my whole immersion. "We Federation do not let innocent people die just because."
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-20-2011, 03:57 AM
You must get mad at half the episodes of the show then.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-20-2011, 03:58 AM
Actually I don't because these are not so intense as this plot.

If you mean the show shows, well yes I do and mostly I skip them the second time, when I want to see the Trek shows. Mostly the whole TNG Season 1 is a no go for me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-20-2011, 04:00 AM
I just watched an episode where Picard was going to let an entire species die because of the Prime Directive.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-20-2011, 04:03 AM
The prime directive's a stupid idea anyway, Archer proved that when he basically condemned a race to death over it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-20-2011, 04:03 AM
It's not about franchise Captains, but the right thing to do as expected for the Federation.

Any show Captain did a lot of bogus. The most unaceptable of them was Kirk. Actually in every episode he kicked some Federation directive. Still he is the most beloved captain figure in Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral-Joseph
The prime directive's a stupid idea anyway, Archer proved that when he basically condemned a race to death over it.
He did? I can't remeber when...*thoghtfull* Were those the Xindi?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-20-2011, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macumba
He did? I can't remeber when...*thoghtfull* Were those the Xindi?
Wasn't that Phlox? I remember there was a really, really awful episode of Enterprise where the writer basically made lies up about how evolution works as a plotline to make Phlox nigh on a mass murderer by refusing to distribute a cure to a particular disease.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-20-2011, 04:09 AM
Lol, somewhat of an (epic) deductive logic (fail).

Even while they are nuking themselves with thalaron weapons, this is STILL an internal Romulan affair.

Obisek has no PROOF! ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_%28truth%29 ) that the Iconians are behind this, a person who throws around with thalaron weapons like hand-grenades isn't exactly trustworthy enough to believe him and also he have absolutely NO EVIDENCE to back up his statement.

Also T'Nae said that the Federation WILL help Refugees and deliver Aid but WON'T ASSIST Obisek if the CONTINUES his fight.
So, if he CONTINUES his fight he is ON HIS OWN (als long as starfleet have no PROOF that there is a third faction involved ... which may be uncovered ... next saturday?)

(Keywords in Capital)
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-20-2011, 04:13 AM
Ahhh, that one! Yes!

The 2 races living on the same planet. The one are very high evolved, while the others are basically "Neandertals". The evolved ones have a genetic disharmony and would extinct. Phlox and Archer denied the medicine needed to cure them.

Anyway, at this time period ther was no Prime Directive at all! So this doesn't count.

IMHO this was the wrong decision. Having contact with 2 latent evolving cultures and letting one die is so totally wrong and as i think against the hummanitary mission of starfleet.