Lt. Commander
I was wondering about instant deaths, I am suffering now and then when fighting Romulans. Not bosses, mind you. Just the common trash MOBs during random exploration quests.

So I checked the combat log and found an interesting line:
SubCommander Engineer's officer Thalaron mine deals 10965 Radiation Damage to you with Thalaron Mine Activate.
My character is LC6 and has 185 hitpoints.

In my opinion the person responsible for ground combat balance needs to be fired.
Ground combat is long and boring. Even more after the changes made last year. And with such oddities it is just no fun. Only stupid.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2011, 03:29 AM
If you were ∆weeseing it you may have been better off. Nevertheless, no matter how frustrating it may be, it's still kind of funny if you think about it. Or maybe if you don't think about it it's funny. Personal preference.

Also just because you don't personally know the person responsible for ground combat balance doesn't mean you should start bashing them nah meen? They could be a really cool person and they're probably working really hard on it. I'm just saying.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2011, 03:44 AM
I would say it's a bug, but playing the featured episodes as a lower level character would grant an unfair bonus if they made thalaron mines level-dependent.

If you see a thalaron mine hit the ground, you can (and indeed, should) shoot it. A lot. The Romulan that dropped it isn't likely to do nearly as much damage to you as his mine when it goes off.

ps thalaron mines are supposed to be super lethal in the fluff
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2011, 04:56 AM
if they drop a tharalon mine, it's best to just move away from it, so that no harm comes to you (and get your BO's to do so if you need to)
and they're supposed to be lethal, it's tharalon after all (just check Nemesis for how deadly it is)
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-13-2011, 08:29 PM
If I remember right it has a super long(as far as ground combat terms go anyways) charge up time. Big green swirly animation. Really, really telegraph's it's move to you. You have plenty of time to destroy it or move away. And remember if you ever feel like things are going too fast if you're soloing ground content you can pause by hitting T. Very useful.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2011, 05:07 AM
The scaling on weapons damage in this game is rather unfortunate a long time now. This is what caused the infamous "dual pistol" bug on ground missions where the problem remains largely pronounced. There has been talks about reworking the scale (in regards to the STFs) that may alleviate problems like this across the game.

I agree with you those ridiculous damage spikes are both frustruting and unecessary and should be dealt with. Difficulty needs to come from tactics and not database glitches.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Um hate to say this guys but the Thaleron weapon is MEANT to be a one shot one kill weapon, it is designed to kill any player at any level who isn't paying any attention whatsoever to their surroundings. As stated before it's REALLY obvious and makes a REALLY large animation that takes quite some time to charge up.

My advice is one of two things. . .move away, or kill it. That's all it takes as it's a mine. The HP of the mine is being reduced in the next holodeck update so these things will be even less of a nuance. if you are having troubles destroying it while solo'ing remember to make all of your toons target the device.

As canon background the Thaleron weapon was used in Star Trek: Nemesis at the very beginning of the movie to wipe out the majority of the entire Romulan senate. Thaleron energy is instantly and completely fatal to all organic tissue.

My guess is that eventually down the road we may see weapons and armor that feature thaleron damage but for now just avoid or destroy. To sum it up, this is not a scaling issue, the device is working exactly as it is intended to and it fits in with canon trek perfectly.

~D
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychus_Findley
I agree with you those ridiculous damage spikes are both frustruting and unecessary and should be dealt with. Difficulty needs to come from tactics and not database glitches.
Well said. 1 shotting should not be happening under any circumstances. Sadly, this is typical of Cryptic games and how they interpret "challenge". It would seem someone in the development team considers "challenge" to mean ludicrous spike damage, invincibility toggles (eg. Elite Borg) or simply dialing up damage dealt/HP of NPCs.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2011, 02:37 PM
That is a one shot kill you at VA. The first time I played the mission I was killed.

What I do now is set my BO at the base of the ramp. I run up the ramp set the mechanics in motion then run back down. I do not release any of the prisoners until after the fight so I donít have to worry about losing any of those guys.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
Well said. 1 shotting should not be happening under any circumstances. Sadly, this is typical of Cryptic games and how they interpret "challenge". It would seem someone in the development team considers "challenge" to mean ludicrous spike damage, invincibility toggles (eg. Elite Borg) or simply dialing up damage dealt/HP of NPCs.
Thaloron mines have a long charge up and can be shot or evaded. They are very obvious. If you do not react to a danger and it kills you it doesn't matter whether or not it killed you in one shot, ten, or twenty. Now I agree that some of the mobs in Elite difficulty that just one shot you cause they are that strong is ridiculous. There isn't any way to avoid them or know they are about to melt your face.