Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Okay, I don't want to come off as a Nagorak fanboy* or anything, but I found this little tidbit from him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Transphasic torpedoes are badly gimped. Not only is their base damage lower and cool down longer, but their multiplier with high yield is also reduced.

Transphasic's high yield multiplier is 126.6%/197%/222%. For comparison the Quantum/Photon multiplier is: 223%/258%/295%. That's right, not only are the Photon/Quantum already the best torpedoes, but they get a bigger boost from torpedo skills.

The end result is that the bleedthrough from Tranphasics is barely higher than Quantums when using high yield. And because they fire slower, and have lower base damage, their bleedthrough at other times is also limited. Considering their seriously low DPS, you might get more bleed through from simply using an energy weapon in its place.

The person who balanced torpedoes is...well let's just say he phoned it in, and he must have had some really bad reception at the time.
As usual, I trust his experimental results.
The least surprising thing for me was that transphasics sucks. I noticed that before, and countless others before and after me as well.

What I didn't know was that High Yield Torpedoes also acts differently depending on torpedo type. And I have heard that higher level HYTs are not really worth it. But this is the first time I actually see some numbers that actually reflect why this is the case.
The gain from HYT is +123 % damage for Quantums and Photons, and then the damage grows only by another 35 to 72 percent. It is clear that HYT I is the most economical boost for torpedoes here.

These powers cannot be directly compared to BFAW or CRF, though. The energy skills increase DPS by a lower amount, but they do so for a longer time, and of course, energy weapons more "universally" useful.

*) but can I get an autograph?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Possibly a throwback to the first days of pre-release? Possibly to offset the TRansPhasics ability to bleed through shields?
The torps do need a pass to buff those that fall short imo, but I do not wish to see a drop in the Quantams damage capabilities.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2011, 09:05 AM
I think snix (or was it dstahl?) said that they're going to be giving torpedoes a good look during/after Season 4 when they get all of the other changes they currently have set it motion finished.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
I think snix (or was it dstahl?) said that they're going to be giving torpedoes a good look during/after Season 4 when they get all of the other changes they currently have set it motion finished.
That is what was said, yes.

I'm very curious how Season 4 will come out. It is rapidly becoming the standard response that "it will be addressed in Season 4". As it is Season 4 may be a monster update, which changes much of how we play STO. Did Cryptic get a sudden infusion of people and capital?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
That is what was said, yes.

I'm very curious how Season 4 will come out. It is rapidly becoming the standard response that "it will be addressed in Season 4". As it is Season 4 may be a monster update, which changes much of how we play STO. Did Cryptic get a sudden infusion of people and capital?
I think every update used to be very full off stuff coming. But Season 4 will take longer then the previous 3 seasons - sometimes June/July or so IIRC.
That of course gives also time for creating more stuff.

It is also possible that STO (or Cryptic itself) gets more funding now as Cryptic is what makes Atari the money currently.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Everyone knows torps are not balanced dps/procs/skillpoint cost same goes with beams phaser proc is just pwns all others.

Unforunately this will never be fixed as it does not meet Cryptic guidelines on balance changes.

Cryptic's guide to balancing 101
Are Feds QQing this is OP?
Yes > Apply nerf
No> Ignore

Examples
Brel Retro > Nerf
Carrier > Nerf
PSW > Nerf
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfire View Post
Everyone knows torps are not balanced dps/procs/skillpoint cost same goes with beams phaser proc is just pwns all others.

Unforunately this will never be fixed as it does not meet Cryptic guidelines on balance changes.

Cryptic's guide to balancing 101
Are Feds QQing this is OP?
Yes > Apply nerf
No> Ignore

Examples
Brel Retro > Nerf
Carrier > Nerf
PSW > Nerf
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Actually... and sadly... this seems to be more than a funny joke, and closer to the truth than I would like.

I would like to see Transphasics buffed in damage, to about the point of quantums, and increase the shield penetration to 35%. The counter balance should be that they fire only once every 12-15 seconds or so.

I would use em if that were how they worked.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
...The torps do need a pass to buff those that fall short imo, but I do not wish to see a drop in the Quantams damage capabilities.
/signed. Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treagersama View Post

I would like to see Transphasics buffed in damage, to about the point of quantums, and increase the shield penetration to 35%. The counter balance should be that they fire only once every 12-15 seconds or so.
I like this idea as a buff for TransPhasics., but am worried the former is all too true.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Ya know.. I made a post in the tribble forum back in season 1 that Transphasic Torps needed a buff. I knew back then something was wrong with their damage. I didn't know it was THAT bad. In that High yield wasn't buffing it the same as the other torps. Figures.

Here's hoping when they do their Torpedo pass, they also make sure that all powers work properly with each Torpedo type.