Lt. Commander
I was inspired by a question I saw in the latest ask Cryptic thread:

Since we drive a bit like subs, why not give us elevate and descend functionality. I know you don't want to put in full 3D navigation (ie nosing straight up/down or Immelman type rolls), but this would be an excellent compromise.

So in addition to our WASD keys, perhaps give us another pair of keys that control our ascent and descent.

=edit=

Perhaps right click + mouse wheel up or down as an alternate method.

=edit=

To make it look nicer, while the ship is ascending or descending, perhaps pitch the bow or aft up or down depending on the direction of movement.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2011, 02:40 PM
I still think that the whole UP and DOWN bit in space makes no sense. Why can't we go vertical or "upside down"?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2011, 02:42 PM
That could work. I think if they gave us as close to 90 degrees pitch and yaw we could make it work. That way we still couldn't invert but be able to essentially go up and down as you suggested.

On a side note, can you imagine if they elevated up and down like a sub on one of the shows? It would've been hilarious! It would've looked like the cheesiest fx ever. I guess it's the same reason they never let Jack Bauer go to the bathroom, it just wouldn't be dramatic enough.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Fox
I still think that the whole UP and DOWN bit in space makes no sense. Why can't we go vertical or "upside down"?
Possibly because they're going with keeping navigation extremely simple for the double digits. :3

Another possibility is that the only episode where a starship went "upside-down" to the accepted plane was in an episode of Enterprise where they also leapt from ship to ship during warp... It's possible that the colossal stupidity of that single episode completely blinded them to it and made them think that there was never a canonical reference to ships flying with their "downward" axis at an opposite angle to each other. (I could be wrong, I may have simply forgotten another instance.)
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2011, 02:49 PM
They did have movement like this in Star Trek II, I think it was accomplished by maneuvering thrusters and was slow. I don't mind the idea but I think a person would use it less than u think.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by manlai View Post
That could work. I think if they gave us as close to 90 degrees pitch and yaw we could make it work. That way we still couldn't invert but be able to essentially go up and down as you suggested.

On a side note, can you imagine if they elevated up and down like a sub on one of the shows? It would've been hilarious! It would've looked like the cheesiest fx ever. I guess it's the same reason they never let Jack Bauer go to the bathroom, it just wouldn't be dramatic enough.
Hmmm, to make it look more dramatic, perhaps the ascend key would automatically pitch the nose up while accelerating the upwards movement. (And vice versa for descend).
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
I think that this kind of thing is even an issue is ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSilhouette View Post
Possibly because they're going with keeping navigation extremely simple for the double digits. :3

Another possibility is that the only episode where a starship went "upside-down" to the accepted plane was in an episode of Enterprise where they also leapt from ship to ship during warp... It's possible that the colossal stupidity of that single episode completely blinded them to it and made them think that there was never a canonical reference to ships flying with their "downward" axis at an opposite angle to each other. (I could be wrong, I may have simply forgotten another instance.)
The Defiant did it a couple times during the Dominion War, and the Enterprise-E did a barrel-roll during Nemesis. That's about the extent of the "upside-down" shots.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Everytime the Starship Enterprise is moving towards an object it is going strait up. Prove me wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
The Defiant did it a couple times during the Dominion War, and the Enterprise-E did a barrel-roll during Nemesis. That's about the extent of the "upside-down" shots.
Oooh. I'm going to have to watch Nemesis again. :3

Personally I'd rather have the option to perform a barrel roll, but since they seem so dead set against it and there are people out there who would love to be able to "ascend and descend" with more ease than the big corkscrew we must use currently, perhaps they will consider this idea.
Closed Thread