Lt. Commander
# 91
02-23-2011, 03:27 AM
calling someone a troll is trolling right.......so making a thread regarding trolling isn't one of the smartest moves i've ever seen a moderator do........enforce the rules guys, and consign this thread to the anals of history. ie the bin.

nothing more needs to be said.
Lt. Commander
# 92
02-23-2011, 04:14 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan_Propoganda
Nah. But I'm sure someone will be having a bad day and say you're being naughty, so I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. It's happened to me.
lol- good. I thought I was going to have to break out my Dogberry avatar again and its no fun without the "I am a Ass" quote in my signature.

Quote:
Internet Culture: the more you know!
Knowing half the battle. The other half is screaming, explosion, death and a sudden dislike for bad intel.
Lt. Commander
# 93
02-23-2011, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
<snip>
However, having 3 days a year where you feel you can't be responsible for your own actions on the internet doesn't fly for me. I work on the internet, and I have to be responsible for what I do on the internet every day of the year. <snip> My suggestion to you, if you're having a day when you don't feel you can be responsible for your own actions on the internet, either stay off the STO forums, or stay off the internet.

<snip>

Thanks,

Stormshade
You know...
let's compare this to Pon'Far.
Sometimes Emotions take over but when you notice it it is usually to late.
The moment you type the wrong thing you probably do not notice it.
Staying offline "that day" is impossible because you do not know it.

For you Stormy it is your JOB to be here and to follow the rules to the letter, for me it is my hobby and i am here to have fun 1st and that means the possibilty to slip up is allways a given.

That's why i say 1 Point Infractions should expire after maybe a Year and 10 Point Infractions should be reduced to maybe 5 perma points after a year.

Hell if i get points on my driver license even those expire after a time and i think those points are more serious then some gaming forum.

I understand that if somebody pukes all over the place he needs to be dealt with but even normal people slip up from time to time. The more and the longer they are active on this Forum the higher the possibility to grind up Infractions to get the final Achievement unlocked.

We are all Human and Humans make mistakes, that 100% political correct perfect entity would be a Robot.
Lt. Commander
# 94
02-23-2011, 04:24 AM
While its fine to make small mistakes, just because you're fine 364 days of the year and then you happen to rob a bank the last day doesn't exonerate you from the responsibility of the bank robbery.
Lt. Commander
# 95
02-23-2011, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
You know...
let's compare this to Pon'Far.
Sometimes Emotions take over but when you notice it it is usually to late.
The moment you type the wrong thing you probably do not notice it.
Staying offline "that day" is impossible because you do not know it.
Pon Farr is a made up condition that afflicts a made-up race. It has little to do with what any real world humans do as posters.
We're humans and have to follow rules and live with the consequences if we break them.

Quote:
For you Stormy it is your JOB to be here and to follow the rules to the letter, for me it is my hobby and i am here to have fun 1st and that means the possibilty to slip up is allways a given.
His job is not merely to follow rules, his job is to enforce them as well. Otherwise, he wouldn't be a moderator.
These rules apply to you and me as well as him. We have no innate "right" to these forums.

Quote:
That's why i say 1 Point Infractions should expire after maybe a Year and 10 Point Infractions should be reduced to maybe 5 perma points after a year.

Hell if i get points on my driver license even those expire after a time and i think those points are more serious then some gaming forum.
That's why it is not so bad if you permantly use your forums license. Losing your driver's license can be career ending and will inconvenience your life substantially in most areas. Losing access to the STO forums... Will not change your life that significantly, and will certainly not throw you into a financial chaos.

Quote:
I understand that if somebody pukes all over the place he needs to be dealt with but even normal people slip up from time to time. The more and the longer they are active on this Forum the higher the possibility to grind up Infractions to get the final Achievement unlocked.
Infractions are not about "puking" once in your favorite club. It's about doing it repeatedly. I am sure most pub visitors - even regulars - manage to not puke all over the place at all, and those that do, don't do it that often to gain enough "infraction points" for it to become a problem ,and if they do, they will be thrown out.
Lt. Commander
# 96
02-23-2011, 05:26 AM
Great post! Hopefully people adhere to it
Lt. Commander
# 97
02-23-2011, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
We are all humans here, and most of us are adults. This means that we are always responsible for our actions. On the internet, or off.
Amen. Keep up the good work Stormy!
Lt. Commander
# 98
02-23-2011, 06:16 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines and Cryptic Studios Infraction Policy ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 99
02-23-2011, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam062307 View Post
I can understand your point of view, but that isn't very realistic. Most things in life expire after a certain number of time. If you default on a credit card, or don't pay back a loan it stays with you for a certain amount of time, and then goes away. Speeding tickets, or car accidents go away. They hurt you for a little while and the more you have the worse it gets. But it will eventually go away. Those that are truly really bad will always have a stack of negatives against their names and will be identifiable.

You are definitely right in that YOU have to be very careful with what you post on the internet and can't have bad days. You are 100% right, but this is your job. You have to be held to a higher standard. However that higher standard should not apply to most of us. This isn't our job. this is our hobby. Some of us are very passionate about our hobby, and such passion can elicit some not so nice posts or responses. Especially if we feel attacked. I don't deny that something should happen, but to say that it is permanent is a little far reaching. 1 year expiration dates acceptable in my opinion. A lot can change in 1 year.
A criminal record tends to always be there, following you around in life.

The person may change, but the record tends to remain ... more so if you are a adult.

Are infractions here the same? ... No.

But they do fit the offense with us having to look at the devs as the sherriffs in town.

I applaud their stance as it makes people truly accountable.

If you don't want the consequences then simple consider each post before you hit send.

I've written many that vented ... reread them and then hit delete instead of send.

Let m get it out but doesn't offend anyone.
Lt. Commander
# 100
02-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Unless one is pardoned, then said criminal record is overlooked as a matter of course. As mine was and has been since.
I see no issues with having infraction points eventually disapeer over time and feel that a permanent infraction against anyone of the forums should not be dictated by a set of rules but put under the perview of the moderators on a case by case basis with the ability to dig oneself out of the hole so to speak.
Closed Thread