Lt. Commander
# 161
02-24-2011, 11:44 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which derails this thread - please stay on topic. ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 162
02-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Well, things are spiraling more and more off-topic now, even with reminders to please kleep it on the topic. Which still is: Trolling and you - what can you do to stop it.

The rules are there to be read. This discussion will not remove them.
Moderation will keep happening - and people may speak up if they feel something needs to be moderated.

If the thread keeps being derailed, I'll thank you all for speaking up and then close it to keep it stickied as a reminder for people who encounter postings that they wish a moderator to look at.
Lt. Commander
# 163
02-24-2011, 11:52 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which derails this thread - please stay on topic. ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 164
02-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Lt. Commander
# 165
02-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
We MUST ensure that the community as a whole can use the forums. That the flow of information can take place. And that rules about a certain etiquette, which we have set as the foundation of these boards, are heeded. We ask everyone to follow those rules when they join us here on the boards.
We have rules that can be broken in the two policy documents, but we don't have a netiquette document or style guide that helps members be better posters; e.g., when to respond to a post via a private message, when/how much/when not to quote another post, reading the whole thread before commenting (Is using that what multi-quoting is for?). It's something moderators could PM to posters like I use thanksno.com for friends sending me internet jokes or other undesirable content.

The guide could also address issues directly related to an MMO forum and STO in particular; e.g., posts about mechanics can go stale with new releases. That's something posters don't always consider, and it's also easy to Google into the forums and find out-of-date information without realizing it.

I'd like a way to recommend threads for closing by reason: out of date, infraction overload, duplicate thread (with link to proper thread), etc. I'd prefer getting a moderator to look at something this way rather than have a script automatically close stale threads. It might cut down on the "this should really be a new thread" or "this duplicate is going to get you an infraction" replies that can feel like trolling and lead to a heated exchange.

I'd also like pages for closed threads to have a "closed" header or watermark so people jumping into the site from outside know the situation. Of course every closed thread should end with a moderator post explaining why it was closed.
Lt. Commander
# 166
02-24-2011, 12:26 PM
What prevents people from abusing the system and use the report button like in a game of Wack´A´Mole´ ,reporting people just for posts they don´t like or in an attempt to get these people into trouble?
Lt. Commander
# 167
02-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Which still is: Trolling and you - what can you do to stop it.
Along these lines I do have a simple request to make.

There is a certain Cryptic employee that lately has taken to angrily responding to these trolls. While I understand his anger, and I certainly sympathize with his reaction, I don't believe that his responses help the situation any.

So my simple request would be: Could someone please talk to him and explain to him that when he, even more so than anyone else, responds to these trolls he encourages them, and he encourages many others to come out of the woodwork and try their hand at it as well.
Lt. Commander
# 168
02-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Along these lines I do have a simple request to make.

There is a certain Cryptic employee that lately has taken to angrily responding to these trolls. While I understand his anger, and I certainly sympathize with his reaction, I don't believe that his responses help the situation any.

So my simple request would be: Could someone please talk to him and explain to him that when he, even more so than anyone else, responds to these trolls he encourages them, and he encourages many others to come out of the woodwork and try their hand at it as well.
I think your misconstruing assertive or maybe even confrontational responses with angry responses. At least I never interpreted any Cryptic response anywhere on these threads as being angry. Which is really interesting to me because your posts frequently come across to me as having a very angry tone although I doubt they're meant to be.
Lt. Commander
# 169
02-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
What prevents people from abusing the system and use the report button like in a game of Wack´A´Mole´ ,reporting people just for posts they don´t like or in an attempt to get these people into trouble?
The Moderators.

As I mentioned waaaaay early in this thread: Moderation does not mean you are automatically banned. We get a lot of reports every day and a LOT of these get a comment that reads something like "No violation found, no action taken". We will review a report when it comes in and we will check into the thread, posting, posters. But if the staff does not feel that a post broke the rules, we'll leave it alone.

There is also another thing: If I were to start reporting 50 postings a day, just to tie up the mods, and in these reports there is either obviously nothing wrong; or if I were to report everything Stormshade posts for dubious reasons ("Stormshade ate my bagel 3 weeks ago and YOU HAVE TO BAN HIM!!") - I could get an infraction. Abusing the report button is against the rules. Mind you: For that to happen, it would need to be something really clear and direct. And I am glad to say: On the STO boards we have so far not had a single poster who abused the report function. So whatever ya'll are doing right now is as it should be.
Lt. Commander
# 170
02-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
I'd say the problem there are the "me too" responses that come afterwards, turning the thread into a very unpleasant dogpile. Treating the Yellow Name reply as an excuse to directly attack the original poster without consequence.

Should the "me too"s be reported, or are they acceptable in this context?
Closed Thread