Lt. Commander
# 71
02-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
I think discussing CS on the forums is ok it sheds light on less than satisfactory service,unfortunately when I have filed a GM ticket is has been frustrating, and useless. This has been my experience. So Wish I respectfully disagree.
If you have a complaint about an interaction you've had with CS, there are steps you can take to voice those complaints. Up to and including PMing me. Please do not go into details on the forums however. In the end, no one (neither you, nor us at Cryptic/Atari) end up benefiting from such conversations.

These conversations were started in private, and to protect your privacy, we need to keep them that way. If we didn't care about your privacy, we may very well have a section of the forums called, "Why did I get banned?" Other companies have this, and I can't say that it makes either party look great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Stormshade
I made the call to have infractions become permanent, and I don't think anyone will ever be able to change my mind regarding this. We're an MMO, we're going to be here for a long time, and we want you to be here as well.

However, having 3 days a year where you feel you can't be responsible for your own actions on the internet doesn't fly for me. I work on the internet, and I have to be responsible for what I do on the internet every day of the year. We are all humans here, and most of us are adults. This means that we are always responsible for our actions. On the internet, or off. My suggestion to you, if you're having a day when you don't feel you can be responsible for your own actions on the internet, either stay off the STO forums, or stay off the internet.

We all get in moods. We're also adults and can learn to identify when posting something is going to get us into trouble. Your actions on these forums have a lasting effect, and as long as I'm running these forums, this will always be the case.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 72
02-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
I made the call to have infractions become permanent, and I don't think anyone will ever be able to change my mind regarding this. We're an MMO, we're going to be here for a long time, and we want you to be here as well.

However, having 3 days a year where you feel you can't be responsible for your own actions on the internet doesn't fly for me. I work on the internet, and I have to be responsible for what I do on the internet every day of the year. We are all humans here, and most of us are adults. This means that we are always responsible for our actions. On the internet, or off. My suggestion to you, if you're having a day when you don't feel you can be responsible for your own actions on the internet, either stay off the STO forums, or stay off the internet.

We all get in moods. We're also adults and can learn to identify when posting something is going to get us into trouble. Your actions on these forums have a lasting effect, and as long as I'm running these forums, this will always be the case.

Thanks,

Stormshade
I can understand your point of view, but that isn't very realistic. Most things in life expire after a certain number of time. If you default on a credit card, or don't pay back a loan it stays with you for a certain amount of time, and then goes away. Speeding tickets, or car accidents go away. They hurt you for a little while and the more you have the worse it gets. But it will eventually go away. Those that are truly really bad will always have a stack of negatives against their names and will be identifiable.

You are definitely right in that YOU have to be very careful with what you post on the internet and can't have bad days. You are 100% right, but this is your job. You have to be held to a higher standard. However that higher standard should not apply to most of us. This isn't our job. this is our hobby. Some of us are very passionate about our hobby, and such passion can elicit some not so nice posts or responses. Especially if we feel attacked. I don't deny that something should happen, but to say that it is permanent is a little far reaching. 1 year expiration dates acceptable in my opinion. A lot can change in 1 year.
Lt. Commander
# 73
02-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Agreed with above poster.

Personally, I find Stormshade's point of view needlessly harsh and bordering on draconian. I can appreciate the perspective as a moderator but come on, even RL courts will expunge a record after a period of keeping your nose clean without the threat of being jailed forever if you reoffend later.

But you have the power to choose what you want to do up until you hit the limit. "Improve" your posts, delete them, or just dial back your participation period. And if you're really cheesed off, do what dstahl suggests and vote with your subscription.
Lt. Commander
# 74
02-22-2011, 09:15 PM
I say some should go away but Threats against life or limbs.... Permant. Calling somone a T-word on the other hand hmm 2 years min. I think the points are respectful. I think the most disrespectful ones with profanity should be year min. A forum ban should last 2 years. And Just Don't ban the account ban the IP the Credit card the e-mail address the IP adress. But when it comes to the IP and CC you run into the problem of husband and wife and college Dorms.

I say that if somone want to apologize they should be able to and .. not kiss up but start talking to a Mod or GM about possable getting back on the forums or getting Points removed. Make it like respect points or somthing if you post somthing very Rewarding for the community atlarge. Somthing that benifits everyone you should get rewarded for that say if you have points and what not you have the Option to get them removed. But if you dont have no points and you been very good on the forums like most people I would hope. You can get a forum Title or ingame Title Helper.

That being said it is Cryptics/Ataris forums if you can't go by there Rules you have no point posting on there forums. I'm no angel I say that now but still I learned my lesson and moved on. Yes the point(S) stay with me or you for ever but still learn and move on. And I'm not suggesting getting points removed as a way for somone to be bad on the forums just somthing that the mods or GMs can take to heart. Maybe a +/- Sytem could be used.
Lt. Commander
# 75
02-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
Agreed with above poster.

Personally, I find Stormshade's point of view needlessly harsh and bordering on draconian. I can appreciate the perspective as a moderator but come on, even RL courts will expunge a record after a period of keeping your nose clean without the threat of being jailed forever if you reoffend later.

But you have the power to choose what you want to do up until you hit the limit. "Improve" your posts, delete them, or just dial back your participation period. And if you're really cheesed off, do what dstahl suggests and vote with your subscription.
He has a lot of experience, and he is doing what he feels is best for the community as a whole. Look at my posts , im by no means a fanboi, and i have been very mean a few times in posts, but i do recognise when someone is trying to reign in a potential problem before it gets out of hand. He is just being pro-active, and any business takes that over reactive any day of the week.
Lt. Commander
# 76
02-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper99991 View Post
I say some should go away but Threats against life or limbs.... Permant. Calling somone a T-word on the other hand hmm 2 years min. I think the points are respectful. I think the most disrespectful ones with profanity should be year min. A forum ban should last 2 years. And Just Don't ban the account ban the IP the Credit card the e-mail address the IP adress. But when it comes to the IP and CC you run into the problem of husband and wife and college Dorms.

I say that if somone want to apologize they should be able to and .. not kiss up but start talking to a Mod or GM about possable getting back on the forums or getting Points removed. Make it like respect points or somthing if you post somthing very Rewarding for the community atlarge. Somthing that benifits everyone you should get rewarded for that say if you have points and what not you have the Option to get them removed. But if you dont have no points and you been very good on the forums like most people I would hope. You can get a forum Title or ingame Title Helper.
In short, a popularity contest is about the very last thing this forum needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper99991 View Post
That being said it is Cryptics/Ataris forums if you can't go by there Rules you have no point posting on there forums. I'm no angel I say that now but still I learned my lesson and moved on. Yes the point(S) stay with me or you for ever but still learn and move on. And I'm not suggesting getting points removed as a way for somone to be bad on the forums just somthing that the mods or GMs can take to heart. Maybe a +/- Sytem could be used.
True, it's not a public forum and you don't have American rights. But you should apply them consistently and with a heavy dose of common sense. To their credit, the moderators overall get it mostly right but there's a couple of questionable ones I've received that were offputting...but in the end I just let them go. And most folks do the same.
Lt. Commander
# 77
02-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtorma View Post
He has a lot of experience, and he is doing what he feels is best for the community as a whole. Look at my posts , im by no means a fanboi, and i have been very mean a few times in posts, but i do recognise when someone is trying to reign in a potential problem before it gets out of hand. He is just being pro-active, and any business takes that over reactive any day of the week.
Oh yeah, I don't doubt his intentions or those of the others. As I said, overall they get it mostly right and the forum hasn't completely exploded. I understand it's a fine line between encouraging constructive or sometimes expressive dialog for the active participants and keeping things reasonably civil for both them and the passive ones.

I don't want the thread locked so I'm going to fall back a bit now.
Lt. Commander
# 78
02-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam062307 View Post
I can understand your point of view, but that isn't very realistic. Most things in life expire after a certain number of time. If you default on a credit card, or don't pay back a loan it stays with you for a certain amount of time, and then goes away. Speeding tickets, or car accidents go away. They hurt you for a little while and the more you have the worse it gets. But it will eventually go away. Those that are truly really bad will always have a stack of negatives against their names and will be identifiable.

You are definitely right in that YOU have to be very careful with what you post on the internet and can't have bad days. You are 100% right, but this is your job. You have to be held to a higher standard. However that higher standard should not apply to most of us. This isn't our job. this is our hobby. Some of us are very passionate about our hobby, and such passion can elicit some not so nice posts or responses. Especially if we feel attacked. I don't deny that something should happen, but to say that it is permanent is a little far reaching. 1 year expiration dates acceptable in my opinion. A lot can change in 1 year.
Felonies in the US do not expire.
Lt. Commander
# 79
02-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara
Felonies in the US do not expire.
In some states they do if you are never caught and convicted! and criminal felonies are a bit of a jump from forum infractions. Just saying!
Lt. Commander
# 80
02-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam062307 View Post
In some states they do if you are never caught and convicted!
Thats true:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_limitations
Closed Thread