Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 So let me get this straight...
02-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Season 3 is named "Genesis" because of the Foundry UGC tool(the whole "project Genesis" thing, creating worlds, yadda yadda yadda). It has now been well over 2 months since Season 3 launched and the system that it is named because of still isnt live?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-22-2011, 03:28 PM
dStahl mentioned in the latest Engineering Report that they hope for it to go live at the end of the Weekly Series if all goes well.

Also, no one said it wasn't named after the Foundry Beta.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
Season 3 is named "Genesis" because of the Foundry UGC tool(the whole "project Genesis" thing, creating worlds, yadda yadda yadda). It has now been well over 2 months since Season 3 launched and the system that it is named because of still isnt live?
Season 3 lasts from December till June/July-ish.

Genesis isn't the name of the Foundry; it's the name of the dev tools for exploration clusters. It had nothing to do with UGC, at all. Genesis was hyped as a the dev's means of creating star cluster missions, not us creating missions. This is all old news and pre-launch information. The Genesis tools are entirely separate from the Foundry.

The Season Update name may not even be related (you're interpolating this information). That's not the name of tools being released, nor their internal name - even as far back as August.

That said, Foundry is coming during the next few weeks. Seriously. It's being tested right now: the big features that need to go to tribble then holodeck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
season 3 is named "genesis" because its named after a system that they devs havent gotten around to releasing yet. funny, i know.
Yes, seriously. Within the next 15-20 days.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Hunter 9
Also, no one said it wasn't named after the Foundry Beta.
According to the Devs the Foundry still still be in beta even after it goes to holodeck. So whether it is on the test server or holodeck has nothing to do with it being in beta, therefore nothing to do with the issue the OP is talking about.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
According to the Devs the Foundry still still be in beta even after it goes to holodeck. So whether it is on the test server or holodeck has nothing to do with it being in beta, therefore nothing to do with the issue the OP is talking about.
Fair enough, I just wanted to point out that the Foundry being 'out' is subject to interpretation as some have worked with it for months on Tribble and may still be in beta on Holodeck just as you say.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Season 3 lasts from December till June/July-ish.
Never said otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Genesis isn't the name of the Foundry; it's the name of the dev tools for exploration clusters.
"Genesis" is the name of the tool the Devs use to randomly generate any maps they need for missions, whether they are star clusters or any other mission they want to make. But it is not exclusive to star clusters like you are claiming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
It had nothing to do with UGC.
Wrong again. The Devs have stated that he Genesis tool, while not the same as the Foundry, was the basis and inspiration for the Foundry tool.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Yes, seriously. Within the next 15-20 days.
So over 3 months then. Thats pretty sad.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-22-2011, 03:46 PM
What makes it really bad is when Season 3 launched Cryptic's info that they put out made it sound like the Foundry was live. So people who came back to the game to try it out or just for the very first time were let down to find out it wasnt. Cryptic shouldnt have started hyping this sytem until it was on holodeck and ready to be played.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
"Genesis" is the name of the tool the Devs use to randomly generate any maps they need for missions, whether they are star clusters or any other mission they want to make. But it is not exclusive to star clusters like you are claiming.
No, it's not.

It's a semi-automated scripting process for generating missions and not the same the Cryptic Engine tools, as far as the devs have stated.

You input variables and the genesis tools use them to create random missions using kit pieces. Dstahl explained how it works in several interviews.

Quote:
Wrong again. The Devs have stated that he Genesis tool, while not the same as the Foundry, was the basis and inspiration for the Foundry tool.
The Genesis been in since before launch. I guess the Season is named after something already in game. Point moot.

Quote:
So over 3 months then. Thats pretty sad.
You'd be the first to complain if it were buggy and limited in scope. The devs are just looking out for you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-22-2011, 03:47 PM
What is your point? Are you just trying to say that Cryptic is bad for not working faster on it?


They've had it available on Tribble for 3 months, they have taken a MASSIVE amount of feedback, they've worked closely with authors and they ALREADY have a 2nd version coming with 4 new highly requested features.

We have complained (rightly so) that some things have been released unfinished.

Now they are doing extra work to make sure its good before pushing it "LIVE"

I just don't see what you're wanting them to say here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-22-2011, 03:52 PM
They definitely need to make sure its in working order before release, but I agree they should have waited to hype it until just before release. Now they've already done all the interviews and promotions about it and there wont be a big PR event when it goes live unless those websites are willing to post the exact same interviews again.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 PM.