Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Why any captain in any ship?
02-22-2011, 11:05 PM
It is war time for the federation/kdf, wouldn't it make most sense to put each specialized captain with the ship they are most proficient at? Atm its like putting a fuel tank airship pilot in a bomber and vice versa, could be done....but why would you?

Not to mention how difficult it must be to balance all combinations of captains with all highest tier ships.

And this is STO, someone once said that this game isn't canon, but a licensed fan fiction game. I agree...ships don't have anywhere near the same amount of weapons, we have infinite torpedoes, and we don't hail unknown ships but just blast them (this is just to name a few uncanon things)

Tactical candidates will come out of the academy with the knowledge of advance attack patterns and knowledge on how to disable a ship quickly. Therefore starfleet would place them in escorts.

Science candidates will come out of the academy with knowledge of strengthening shields, causing anomalies, and countering hazards to hull and shields. Therefore starfleet would place them in science vessels.

Engineering candidates will come out of the academy with knowledge of hull resistance, integrity and repair, as well as advance techniques to "overclock" the warp engine of a ship. So starfleet would place them in cruisers to keep them "alive"
(I think that a holo-emitter that makes the hull appear damaged would worked perfectly as a threat gen ability.

There are variants of ships, assault cruisers, fleet escorts, deep space sci vessels, they all can be tuned to do something out of their norm. Assault cruiser for damage, fleet escorts for more support, deep space for offensive capabilities. (I know that they already are like this but if each class had to stick to predetermined ship classes, they would be much more fine tuned)

One last thing, why couldn't we be blank officers choosing a preferred "spec?" this way you can go back to the academy and say....go from an engineer to a tactical.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-22-2011, 11:16 PM
because that's how the game works. it's not going to change so Tacs can only fly escorts, eng/cruiser etc in a million years.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Its more like putting a naval officer of sufficient rank into any surface warfare ship. It could be a cruiser, destroyer, aircraft carrier, minesweeper, frigate, etc...all are commanded by the same general branch of the Navy.

Also, I seem to remember Sisko being an engineering officer, then being put in command of a space station (NOT a cruiser) and then an escort...so there is precedent for that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Kirk - tactical captain. flew a cruiser (Constitution)
Picard - science captain. flew a cruiser (Galaxy)
Sisko - engineering captain. flew an escort (Defiant)
Sulu - tactical captain. Flew a cruiser (Excelsior)


Canon would seem to disagree with your theory. And if you disagree with the career I listed, check the histories of those captains.

As to why we can put any captain in any ship....because it's more fun that way. If you want to be specialized, then by all means go ahead. But not everyone wants to be, and there's nothing wrong with it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Since ship class crossovers regardless of the Officer type already represents a granted liberty, a reversal of the freedoms given could be a quite dangerous move, in the context of the MMO environment.

Cryptic could always grant a small buff for an exact match, but even this might create havoc. It's best to look for refinements that builds on what is already given, for to take away something granted, spells disaster.

The rules are not unlike those for card games, when you put down a card, the decision is irreversible. Thus it is very, nay incredibly important to give proper feedback prior to the release of any large features.

---
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-22-2011, 11:38 PM
While that would be incredibly boring for gameplay purposes, here are 2 situations that would make some sense given the war and all. I am sure people can think of more...

1) the federation is sick of building new escorts, so they put an engineer captain in command to help keep it from falling apart in battle.

2) Science ships have to be able to defend themselves while out exploring in this time of war so the federation puts a tactical captain in command so the ship can fight when it needs to.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-22-2011, 11:44 PM
You have to realize that your captain isn't a bridge officer. Sure, you get a handful of abilities that help out that are tuned to your background, but you are NOT an engineering officer, science officer, or tactical officer anymore.

You are a command officer.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-22-2011, 11:54 PM
my observations (from a canon standpoint) are that in trek, starships class/type reflected the crew, not the captain. for example, a medical ship could be captained by anyone with command xp, but the majority of its facilities and crew were medical staff. this makes sense to me because the way i personally see it, captains are trained to make command decisions based on fleet policies and make determinations based on a wide variety of experience. in trek, space is a dangerous place. it would serve little purpose to give a captains chair to someone who does not know a little about field medicine, the engineering specs of the ship they command, and how to use good tactics when faced with a dangerous situation.

if a ship has medical facilities, then it would make sense to have medical crew (crew with medical backgrounds) operating within its confines to support its facilities. it would likely not consist of ONLY medical staff. they would need security and engineering to help run, operate and protect the ship. a captain does not necessarily have to know about medical stuff (even though it may help). that is what his/her command/department head staff is for. a medical captain is not going to be able to do much for a flood of patients any more than any other captain. his/her place is on the bridge, helping to administrate. more or less thats the bottom line IMO
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-22-2011, 11:59 PM
While I think this is a bit much, I really really hate Engineers being more effective in Escorts than Tacs. (I have seen this a LOT recently) They become an insane combo of Tanking and Killing. They should at least get some MAJOR downsides to flying a ship not designed for their career type.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
It is war time for the federation/kdf, wouldn't it make most sense to put each specialized captain with the ship they are most proficient at? Atm its like putting a fuel tank airship pilot in a bomber and vice versa, could be done....but why would you?
Captains are proficient in the ships they use. In STO this represented through the skills (Cruiser, Heavy Escort, Recon Science Vessel etc) not the class. More importantly A CAPTAIN IS NOT A PILOT! You command a ship you don't steer it, that's just game mechanics. The helmsman is the one who flies the ship. The only exception I can remember at the moment was when Picard (science captain btw) flew the Enterprise out of an aceton field personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
Not to mention how difficult it must be to balance all combinations of captains with all highest tier ships.
Cryptic did a good job with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
And this is STO, someone once said that this game isn't canon, but a licensed fan fiction game. I agree...ships don't have anywhere near the same amount of weapons, we have infinite torpedoes, and we don't hail unknown ships but just blast them (this is just to name a few uncanon things)
It's soft canon because it is licensed. Fan fiction is something different, and what's your point about canon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
Tactical candidates will come out of the academy with the knowledge of advance attack patterns and knowledge on how to disable a ship quickly. Therefore starfleet would place them in escorts.

Science candidates will come out of the academy with knowledge of strengthening shields, causing anomalies, and countering hazards to hull and shields. Therefore starfleet would place them in science vessels.

Engineering candidates will come out of the academy with knowledge of hull resistance, integrity and repair, as well as advance techniques to "overclock" the warp engine of a ship. So starfleet would place them in cruisers to keep them "alive"
(I think that a holo-emitter that makes the hull appear damaged would worked perfectly as a threat gen ability.
Horribly wrong. All ships are improved by their captains. An escort with an engineering captain will be able to take more damage, a cruiser with a tactical captain will be able to dish out more damage and a science captain in an escort will be able to increase its damage and resistance with his skills. Cuatela has already mentioned the most canon combinations. Let me add a soft canon one since the Luna class is in game. Riker, tactical captain in a science vessel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
There are variants of ships, assault cruisers, fleet escorts, deep space sci vessels, they all can be tuned to do something out of their norm. Assault cruiser for damage, fleet escorts for more support, deep space for offensive capabilities. (I know that they already are like this but if each class had to stick to predetermined ship classes, they would be much more fine tuned)
Almost all ships are perfectly fine-tuned. Say, are you out trying to destroy STO? First you want to reduce the class/ship combinations from 9 to 3, now you want to reduce the diversity of the avialble ship classes at endgame....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acceleron
One last thing, why couldn't we be blank officers choosing a preferred "spec?" this way you can go back to the academy and say....go from an engineer to a tactical.
Because we are out of the academy and there's only one way left, command. Did Kirk go back to academy to become a scientist or an engineer? Picard? Worf? Geordi? Sisko? Anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok42 View Post
While I think this is a bit much, I really really hate Engineers being more effective in Escorts than Tacs. (I have seen this a LOT recently) They become an insane combo of Tanking and Killing. They should at least get some MAJOR downsides to flying a ship not designed for their career type.
The ship is as much designed for them as for any other type of captain.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:04 AM.