Lt. Commander
# 21
02-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
You can always select "Security" as one or all of your away team members instead of your BOffs
I've never played ground with anything EXCEPT "Security." I love my cannon fodder. Plus it gives me a chance to meet more of my crew (just before they die horribly).

Seriously though, this is an incredibly bad idea to implement in any of the existing difficulty levels. However, something like a "hardcore" mode, with perma death of BOs and your captain both, would probably appeal to that small cadre of fanatics that play similar modes in any game that offers them. You should also be able to lose ships permanently (although with the option of having your captain and a few randomly selected BOs survive if you use "abandon ship" in time to escape).

While you're at it, put players who choose that difficulty into 100% open PvP mode all the time as well, so other players as well as NPCs could try to gank them any place, at any time.
Lt. Commander
# 22 Just quit it guys
02-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Kinda weird thing is that both to die ....
Lame Idea go play dragon wars or somthing ..... Their you can die Jeezzz No i realy don't hope they take this for serious lame idea!!!
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleacoe View Post
NO, really bad idea, leave my Boffs alone.

If you want your boffs to die, just delete them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
It's just not the same. :/
One work around for this for the BOff you want to die;

-Strip him/her of shields and or body armor.

-Go into combat.

-BOff dies in combat.

-Set your surviving BOffs to rally away from the dead BOff (so they don't revive him/her after combat is over). Sometimes if the BOff is far enough away and is not in your path, you can just leave the area and your other BOffs will follow.

-When you get far enough away, have your BOffs rally back to your new location. They won't run back to revive a dead BOff if its to far away from you.

-Go back to the body after you clear the map if you wish to mourn. Set your BOffs to remain rallied at a distance.

-When the mission is over, shoot the body out the torpedo tube (aka delete).

-Write a letter to the next of kin explaining how brave the BOff was and how he/she died upholding the values of Starfleet, etc. or if KDF, how honorable he/she died and that they are assured a place in Stov-o-kor (sp?)

I'm not sure if the BOff will resurrect if you change ground maps though. If so, you may want to delete before changing Maps or "kill" him/her on the last ground map.

Probably not the most optimal solution for the OPs idea, but it's all we got right now.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
Just curious if I'm the only one that would like boffs to get killed and actually die? Like, maybe not all the time, but maybe a mission where one of your boffs actually dies and is gone forever? Straight up Tasha style. Could make for a dramatic episode thing. Or possibly create a 'real' mode where every time your boffs die they are actually dead and when YOU die (in a ground mission) your screen fades to black as you die but then you wake up with doctors working on you like part of a cut scene or something.

Just some food for thought to increase realism and immersion.

Agree, disagree, comments?
There are times when I would like to kill them myself.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleacoe View Post
NO, really bad idea, leave my Boffs alone.

If you want your boffs to die, just delete them.
Pretty much this, particularly the Breen BOF since he's no longer obtainable. Personally, I think this is just a bad idea.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-23-2011, 10:37 AM
No thanks, like my BOffs alive and useful.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-23-2011, 10:48 AM
The fundamental problem is that if you Boffs can get killed by scripted events or just at random, players will not get as attached to them (or they will make a habit of only using the "expendable" ones on missions that havn't been verified to not kill off a boff). This will rob the system of it's intended emotional impact.

On the other hand you have the potential to get a lot of very angry players who didn't realize the system had changed and lost their Breen / efficient saurian / diplomacy officer / etc.

In the end I don't think there is a way to do the dramatic death thing (like Spock or Tasha) well in STO. You'll just get a mix of "RAGE I lost my officer and demand him/her back" and "lol n00b don't u know to use expendable offs on away missions?", and not so much "We stopped the klingons but it cost us dearly"
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-23-2011, 10:56 AM
I guess i'm too old school , but i really would like to see death penalties of some sort. <wipes tomato from face> well it worked in other games
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtorma View Post
I guess i'm too old school , but i really would like to see death penalties of some sort. <wipes tomato from face> well it worked in other games
The thing is though...this is not other games, this is Star Trek Online.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtorma View Post
I'm all for adding death penalties ONLY for elite, or for some new "hardcore" mode if they want to do that. But changing this for normal would be a huge mistake, and there really isn't any good reason for it. Like many other things in this game, this feature isn't broken, so it isn't in need of any "fix."