Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagles View Post
I would die if Cryptic made bridges look as good as that.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I would die if Cryptic made bridges look as good as that.
A little more color would be nice.

A first-person perspective option would be nice, too.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
But didnt Cryptic say that they really didnt use anything from Perpetual(although they obviously used quite a bit of the concept art and designs)?
That's one of Cryptic's favorites, but clearly they did use Perpetual work; derelict ship in DSEs being the prime example. I still don't understand what people mean by mock-up, unless they're referring specifically to the UI (which could be a simple mock-up), but that image is clearly of something in-game.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-23-2011, 11:12 AM
It's an artist's rendering, it's not an actual in-game screenshot.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-23-2011, 11:15 AM
All i can say is that the UI looks a bit nicer in that image.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileight View Post
It's an artist's rendering, it's not an actual in-game screenshot.
What is? The UI or the entire screenshot? If your saying the latter, I disagree. I mean, look at how the piece of equipment on the guy's hip is clipping with his leg in the position he's standing. They wouldnt have intentionally done that. That is definitely a screnshot taken within a 3d evironment, although it probably wasnt a "real mission". They probably just placed 2 NPCs on a ground map so they could take a quick SS of combat.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
What is? The UI or the entire screenshot? If your saying the latter, I disagree. I mean, look at how the piece of equipment on the guy's hip is clipping with his leg in the position he's standing. They wouldnt have intentionally done that. That is definitely a screnshot taken within a 3d evironment, although it probably wasnt a "real mission". They probably just placed 2 NPCs on a ground map so they could take a quick SS of combat.
Which still makes it a mock up :p

The graphics side of a game engine can be up and running pretty quickly. It wouldn't be hard to mock up a screenshot like this as long as the art assets are available... but that doesn't mean that there was any functioning architecture (UI, damage models/calculators, etc) underneath it.

I remember reading an article by a Perpetual Dev post release (but for the love of kirk, I just can't seem to find it now... google-fu fail... will keep searching for it) where they admitted that when the project was handed over to Cryptic, all they really had was a ton of concept art, a handful of art assets and their piles of design documents... most of the latter Cryptic seems to have thrown out and only used whatever art assets that were available as placeholders until their own designs came through.

Shame really, a lot of the concept art for ships (apart from the odd dog dragging it's butt across the carpet) and the models seen in early Cryptic gameplay trailers were pretty good.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphenoix
Which still makes it a mock up :p
Please read the post I was replying to, and the lack of that term you just used. An artist's rendering an an actual in game screen shot(mock up or not) are not the same thing.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Does anyone have an alternative link for that image that actually works? It's seems to be either on some incredibly low bandwidth system, or else broken.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagles View Post
Ah the good ol' NX Enterprise, i love that show.