Lt. Commander
# 11
02-23-2011, 10:35 PM
I just wish the weapons would have a more "Trek" look to them instead of crazy looking Duke Nuke'em weapons. They need to make standard Starfleet looking weapons. This will help with the immersion factor.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Rook View Post
I just wish the weapons would have a more "Trek" look to them instead of crazy looking Duke Nuke'em weapons. They need to make standard Starfleet looking weapons. This will help with the immersion factor.
I'm a fan of the blue glowy bits on the Starfleet weapons, actually. But I would like to see some of the rifles at least have their design streamlined and compacted.
I mean, it's actually pretty easy to achieve a "Trek" look when you boil down what that its: smoothness, very little edges, a certain flow to the shapes, a palette of cool greys and blacks, and the distinct look of the LCARS buttons. Things along those lines, y'know?
I would like to see the phaser compression bolt pistols and the phaser pulse and high density beam rifles be redesigned, though. They definetely don't look like Starfleet issue weapons, lol. (unless that's the point, I guess; they're phaser weapons, but not Starfleet issue).)
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
Phasers could also be set to overload, becoming crude (and annoyingly high-pitched) timed explosives. Using that function would, of course, consume the phaser.

A multi-function weapon could just come with abilities like kits that have variable timers (the overload would be a one-time deal). Just a thought.

Maybe some weapon abilities could be made dependent upon your character having another piece of gear, so you can mix and match your loadout to get different effects from the same core weapon.

And I'd like to see a photon grenade launcher attachment for some rifles. Even in 2409, blowing stuff up is cool.

Z
While technically some of the Tactical kits do this, some sort of more obvious way of doing it would be better. Say, universal kits that give passive (and thus lower) benefits to a particular type of weapon. (Kind of how consoles work on the ships?)

The main thing I'd like to see is some sort of power selection. The TNG tech manual listed something like twenty different phaser settings, ranging from "I shall nudge you to death!" to "stun" to "I've fallen and I can't get up" to "YEAH TOAST!" to "ZOWN'T!"' (with maybe "sudden interest in botany" and "shake'n'bake" somewhere in there.) So... yeah. I mean, a phaser weapon is supposed to be one of the most versatile things in the galaxy (unlike disruptors, which have no coddling ''stun" setting; KLINGONS DO NOT SET TO 'STUN!') So it'd be nice to see something to that effect represented by phasers.

You definitely should pay for that versatility somehow; maybe taking some time to set the phaser (almost not enough time to do an Expose and then an Exploit with the same weapon, maybe?) or maybe less damage at that level. (I get the impression that Klingons traded the versatility of phasers for the raw destructive potential of disruptors.)

(And, so help me, I still want to see the Worfzooka.)