Lt. Commander
# 1 Diplomacy XP from Foundry
02-23-2011, 04:39 PM
While I understand & like the fact that all the loot & rewards from Foundry missions are not user controlled, is there or could there be a way to flag a mission to reward diplomacy instead of regular XP? The amount would still be controlled by the server (or Cryptic, or whoever/whatever does it).

(class beginning I'll type more later...)

peter
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerRock View Post
While I understand & like the fact that all the loot & rewards from Foundry missions are not user controlled, is there or could there be a way to flag a mission to reward diplomacy instead of regular XP? The amount would still be controlled by the server (or Cryptic, or whoever/whatever does it).

(class beginning I'll type more later...)

peter
There was a comment from a dev indicating an interest in this on TTS, I think based on whether missions require combat or not. (So there might be enemies present for flavor but the trigger for reduced XP and Diplomacy XP would be whether combat is required by an actual objective.)

I'm not certain and we won't know until they announce the system. Whatever the case, it will be automated but I'd look at figuring out how to build lengthy missions without combat first.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2011, 08:47 AM
I think that the best way to accomplish this would be to allow authors to mark certain objectives with a "Grant DXP" state. These objectives once completed would affect the mission-completion reward so that if a player successfully completes all the "Diplomatic" objectives, they'd get the 100% DXP that the mission was evaluated to grant. This would eventually allow authors the ability to design their missions so that combat and diplomacy objectives could be intertwined and thus give us more immersive missions.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I think that the best way to accomplish this would be to allow authors to mark certain objectives with a "Grant DXP" state. These objectives once completed would affect the mission-completion reward so that if a player successfully completes all the "Diplomatic" objectives, they'd get the 100% DXP that the mission was evaluated to grant. This would eventually allow authors the ability to design their missions so that combat and diplomacy objectives could be intertwined and thus give us more immersive missions.
I unfortumately think they'd have to monitor and test things closely before allowing DXP objectives and rewards to be set by authors as this is one aspect that could be easily exploiytable in that:

Author makes a mission that's one map with one NPC to talk to. The set up branch and 'mission complete logic is:

NPC: "Hello, are you here for Diplomatic Experience?"

Branch Answers:

"Yes" -> Result: Mission complete, 10 DXP awarded.
"No" -> Mission fails to complete, return to start dialog.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Something like this (if allowed) would make getting Diplomatic Ranks trivial. Unless some sure fire mechanic could be swet up to avoid exploits like the above; allowing players to set ANY type of reward themselves would be a mistake.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-25-2011, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
I unfortunately think they'd have to monitor and test things closely before allowing DXP objectives and rewards to be set by authors...
Never have I been an advocate of letting authors actually set precise rewards. What I do want however is to be able to select specific objectives and mark them as objectives that would add to the missions final DXP reward if there ever would be one. For example:
  • Objective #1 :: Dialog-Tree-1 (5 possible dialog routes) Marked as Diplomatic Objective.

• Objective #2 :: Console-Interaction-1 (Console set to appear in a secret room only if other objectives have been met, i.e. this objectives is highly dependent on other objectives and there's a chance players will miss it altogether) Marked as Diplomatic Objective.

Once the mission is completed, the Foundry Mission Reward Evaluator can judge how much DXP the mission is worth as an overall factor of objective complexity and perhaps other factors, and then allocate the final DXP rewards according to the marked objectives that were completed by the player.

All this system is meant to accomplish is allow us authors to recommend that the player be granted DXP for accomplishing certain objectives which the system can judge and decide how complex it was for the player to accomplish.

In essence, if an author creates a one-room mission with a console in it and the only objective is to interact with the console and thus gain DXP, I'm sure Cryptic is quite capable of programming their FMRE to not only prevent DXP rewards but also mark the mission itself as an exploit and perhaps even automatically ban the author from Foundry use for a week, just as a friendly warning.