Lt. Commander
# 11
02-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Imagine what that would look like if you were in a skyscrapper, located right next to the doors. The ground would open up, and you would see this big effing Galaxy class coming straight up from the ground from a black pit of endless darkness. THAT would be trippy.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vor_Eve
From what i remeber of the tng episode flying a Shuttlecraft close to the outer cerface like terain would/could be like the outer cerface of a deathstar,

Also if the nova is only partly controled the Dyson sphere would get an small cool looking whole in the side of it as damaged fragments flote near by, at leased this way most of the sphere sections suvive to be moved to a new star later by starfleet, this would be made easyer for starfleet if the sphere sections were unlocked first 8 sections i think, this could be done as part of a ground mission,

i think some of you ar getting two hung up on scale problems trying to do it all as one map, so try to think of it as a set of maps,

i have not read the TNG Dyson sphere book and as that hapend after the episode i think it should get referenced once or twice just for the history of starfleet efforts localy,
Sorry it needed editing.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Having a Dyson Sphere as the central plot to an Episode Series would be pretty awesome!

Perhaps being the same Dyson's sphere that the Enterprise-D discovered and we learn the inhabitants were people who somehow are connected to the Iconians and were forced to flee.
Agreed! It could be weekly! Whoever built it comes back. Since its discovery science teams have been exploring it. They are then held hostage. Maybe whoever built it did not come back but was always there. Was not this thing solor system huge! They could have been hiding anywhere. Been hiding for years. Maybe they are not so high tech? Maybe they gave it all up. Or better yet differnet types of people. Some high tech some low tech. You must make contact and find your people. Not all the aliens are nice.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-23-2011, 10:33 PM
They could never do it justice on the tactical map.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGNT009 View Post
Imagine what that would look like if you were in a skyscrapper, located right next to the doors. The ground would open up, and you would see this big effing Galaxy class coming straight up from the ground from a black pit of endless darkness. THAT would be trippy.
Just as long as my cutscene description makes it in the episode :p

The Dyson Sphere is a complete blank slate for story telling. Id try it myself if I thought I could make a sphere gate believable in space. Best the Foundry could do is cut you straight to the surface........hmm.......
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-23-2011, 10:36 PM
would be awesome. I'd love this.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-23-2011, 10:39 PM
This is a great idea. There are so many ways you could go with this. Maybe have a artifact to display on your trophy wall as a reward?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Having a Dyson Sphere as the central plot to an Episode Series would be pretty awesome!

Perhaps being the same Dyson's sphere that the Enterprise-D discovered and we learn the inhabitants were people who somehow are connected to the Iconians and were forced to flee.
If we visit a Dyson Sphere, it should absolutely be the one already established. I mean, how many of these things would there be?

I definitely want to see something like this.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-24-2011, 12:28 AM
It would be hard to render an object the size of the Dyson Sphere.

Many people fail to realize that the Dyson Sphere isn't the size of a planet. It is a sphere who's radius is roughly the distance of the Earth from the sun.

The inner surface is large enough that the collective populations of all known habitable worlds could live on it, and have tons of space to spare.

If you were to fly within "standard orbit" range of it, it would appear to be a flat plane, much like standing on a planet.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
If we visit a Dyson Sphere, it should absolutely be the one already established. I mean, how many of these things would there be?

I definitely want to see something like this.
Technically yes, the odds would be astronomical having one that covered an entire solar system. But it's plausible that a race could encompass a red dwarf and use less materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
It would be hard to render an object the size of the Dyson Sphere.

Many people fail to realize that the Dyson Sphere isn't the size of a planet. It is a sphere who's radius is roughly the distance of the Earth from the sun.

The inner surface is large enough that the collective populations of all known habitable worlds could live on it, and have tons of space to spare.

If you were to fly within "standard orbit" range of it, it would appear to be a flat plane, much like standing on a planet.
In detail yes. But like I said before the art team could easily use art assets for the background. And the Dyson's shell could easily use simple textures, since the reality it would be too detailed to tell what a road would be from that distance.