Lt. Commander
# 21
02-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
They could never do it justice on the tactical map.
As much as I love the idea (and I do), I have to agree with Nemesis.

There's just no way the Devs could possibly do a Dyson sphere correctly with the (innaccurate) scaling we use in this game.

It's just not possible right now.

<Hint-hint-nudge-nudge-nudge-Devs-prove-me-wrong>
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-24-2011, 01:20 AM
I've really wanted this since I first started playing! Stamped, signed, submitted.

Imagine the foundry missions people could come up with for this thing? But we'd need for the devs to introduce the textues and adjust the scale for it to be feasible. Dan, can we get some love on this one?
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-24-2011, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
As much as I love the idea (and I do), I have to agree with Nemesis.

There's just no way the Devs could possibly do a Dyson sphere correctly with the (innaccurate) scaling we use in this game.

It's just not possible right now.

<Hint-hint-nudge-nudge-nudge-Devs-prove-me-wrong>
Have you ever played "Freelancer"? The last mission specifically? When I entered it, I was like "Jesus....".
It IS possible.... just scares the crap out of people the first time hey see it.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-24-2011, 01:22 AM
And yes, we need more "hard sci fi" content. Space elevators are made obsolete by transporters, but there are other concepts...
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarsightFrostwhisper
Have you ever played "Freelancer"? The last mission specifically? When I entered it, I was like "Jesus....".
It IS possible.... just scares the crap out of people the first time hey see it.
I remember Freelancer
Fact still remains, Cryptic does not have a clue how to properly scale corridors and I somewhat doubt that they would properly do the dyson's sphere. Then again, it's not even possible to do it ATM. They do not have the tech
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-NRG
I remember Freelancer
Fact still remains, Cryptic does not have a clue how to properly scale corridors and I somewhat doubt that they would properly do the dyson's sphere. Then again, it's not even possible to do it ATM. They do not have the tech
Nonsense. The Dyson Sphere in Freelancer was made by simply replacing the "star" texture with some planetary texture with parallax left on. Simple, effective. Has nothing to do with "scaling" as the sphere wouldn't be a real object.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarsightFrostwhisper
Nonsense. The Dyson Sphere in Freelancer was made by simply replacing the "star" texture with some planetary texture with parallax left on. Simple, effective. Has nothing to do with "scaling" as the sphere wouldn't be a real object.
Take a space instance, place the sun in the middle, and your ship next to it would still be ... BIG

I rest my case.

The box within we / you move is to damn small
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-24-2011, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Take a space instance, place the sun in the middle, and your ship next to it would still be ... BIG

I rest my case.

The box within we / you move is to damn small
Well then don't make the sun bloody reachable Indeed, I rest my case. You can make good impressions even with the current tools.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
I remember Freelancer
Sad but true. The Dyson Sphere is probably best left to the Star Trek game after this, where hopefully those future devs do know how to get every scale right. This is just too big of a project for our current devs to wrap their heads arounds, even though I could walk up to their whiteboard right now and show them how easy it would be to implement with their current tech, and even current disproportionate ships.

A simple way to describe all we'd need is take one cube out of a Rubix cube toy. Now, place that little cube and glue it to the inside wall of one of those giant beach balls (the kind you can put your whole body on). That little cube represents the volume of the space we'd be able to move our ships around in, and see the entry door. But you would never be able to reach or see the rest of the inner volume of the ball, and certainly never get remotely close to the sun. We dont need a mission where your ship may perilously float towards the sun, its been done. So the sun can stay a matte painting in the far distance. You could pretend the capitol city was located right near the doorway, and that a bunch of ships swarmed in while your away team was working on the surface, and you had to stop them from bombarding the surface, where their laser animations are firing at the wall of the map. Something like that is doable.

The only thing that needs 3D detail is the city structures that are just located next to the doorway, the way cities are positioned onto asteroids now. Only the whole wall of the cube where the door was located is fully dressed. The other walls, top, bottom, left, right, and rear wall are nothing but very dimly lit and highly obscure matte paintings. Really, it doesnt make sense that you could even see the rest of the interior of the sphere. Id imagine that if light was allowed to reach out that far, and you were orbiting right next to the door on the inside, to look out to the other walls of the square map, that were painted to trick you into thinking you were in a sphere, would likely be very dark and obscure greens and browns, giving the impression that you could just barely, ever so slightly see the light reflecting off the inner sphere walls. But that little square space around the doorway is highly detailed, because you are literally putting the nose of the ship (nose down) within 1 km of the livable surface, and the next kilometer, the nose of the ship is passing through the big effing whole in the ground that looks like a black abyss.

You just have to think 4th dimensionally Marty!

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Fileyson_sphere_interior.jpg

Take a look at that picture. That sure looks like a city scape surrounding the door to me. In fact, the episode got lazy, and put a matte painting right next to the door, when it could have made sense to see more 3D detail popping out of the city right next to the doors. And why do you make mountains? I guess just to climb. And that big lake must be really really shallow considering you can see just how thin the planets crust is in relation to the doorway right next to it. lol. Well, STO COULD get lazy too and just matte paint everything, but it would be really cool to see little 3D pylons and such sticking out representing buildings you could literally crash the ship into, lol. But if 3D izing an entire wall of a space map is too much for our graphic cards, even if the details are miniature, its probably best to stick with a matte painting.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-24-2011, 02:30 PM
I still think it's perfectly doable, if you warp somewhere inside the middle, very far from the "walls" - which is possible. Trouble would start if you wanted to "simulate" getting close to the walls...