Lt. Commander
# 31
02-24-2011, 03:31 PM
A dyson sphere, trashed by its star or not, would be worth 5 episodes just to see one.

(Though, in an early mission on the Starfleet side, I believe you're told to wipe out a few boatloads of lizard people with a planet that looks suspiciously like a Dyson sphere in the background. I can't recall the mission name, though. Probably one of the Sirius patrols... Shame it couldn't be the location for this, as it's understandably unlikely that Cryptic's going to let Klingons into Sirius Sector.)

Quote:
That little cube represents the volume of the space we'd be able to move our ships around in, and see the entry door.
Five episodes, five rubix cubes. They could try to set up a series of features that doesn't rely on an outside source to give you new missions. Mission one could have admiral Quinn or J'Mpok sending you to investigate the location, and end with you getting trapped in there. Sure, the next seven days you can still fly all over the galaxy, but when episode 2 comes around, you go back to the sphere and one of your BOs acts as if you've stuck there all along, facing the challenges and looking for a way out. It'll be a little bit disjointed, but once the series is finished, those five will follow each other back to back and it'll all probably work like no series before it.

And fighting a PvP match in one of those sounds like a kickass idea as well.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-24-2011, 03:43 PM
I rate this idea 10 out of 10 for awsomeness
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Dyson's Sphere is completely impractical, impossible, and other im words. Wow, science fiction to the max. Once Foundry allows us to create our own interiors I have the concept mission for a Dyson's Ring. Which still impractical is not impossible.

but on the Sphere note. I think a series would be fun, the episode it was in had the sphere itself as a character. A character they did not finish with, great idea.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Ive decided that one of the scripts Im working on for a 4 part series can include a nod to the Dyson Sphere. I may even go so far as to say HOW it was built, by whom, and how long it really took. It just so happens to play into my current arc theme. If it doesnt come across as forced, I'll do it. I think I can make it work. Obviously, my mission wont try to simulate going there though.

Oh snap! I just got another idea when I thought of Scotty...would be a stand alone mission though....but sweeeeeet.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammadelta1 View Post
Dyson's Sphere is completely impractical, impossible, and other im words. Wow, science fiction to the max. Once Foundry allows us to create our own interiors I have the concept mission for a Dyson's Ring. Which still impractical is not impossible.

but on the Sphere note. I think a series would be fun, the episode it was in had the sphere itself as a character. A character they did not finish with, great idea.
Wait...Dyson's ring? Sounds familiar...I think I recall being there as a master chief cyborg and fighting purple aliens...
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Please hell no to all Halo refrences. TNG got there first lets glory in that fact shall we.

Besides it is a archaeological artifact to be researched, a broken down engineering marvel to be learnt from, and a nightmare to try and tacticaly secure inside and out.

Plus we don't even know if it is in fact 100% abandoned.

What if there is a race there that no one has detected before?

Or what if the Sphere sudenly moves off to go to another star, a star which has a few enhabited worlds, if it gets there it would be devistateing, you need to divert it some where elce but where?
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-10-2011, 07:15 PM
There are lot of questions to be asked and found i think i could be a major story ark covering many FE's.

As long as it is not linked to the Borg or the Iconians the multiverce is just not that neet.

I would be Extremely happy if thay did some thing like this and broke the world record for being the MMO with the Biggest playable map. even if the hole map was spread over a number of server farms.
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vor_Eve
Please hell no to all Halo refrences. TNG got there first lets glory in that fact shall we.
TNG was hardly the first famous sci-fi property to explore a Dyson anything, and Halo was most definetely not the first to have characters running around large, ring-shaped artificial structures in space.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-11-2011, 11:26 AM
That's funny cause i just watched that episode of tng like an hour ago. Good ol scotty.

I would love to see the dyson sphere appear in STO. It would be interesting to see what happened to it since it was discovered.
A feature series with a dyson sphere as the setting would also be a great idea imo. Being able to fly up to a star is something i've always wanted to do in this game - like you can in EVE.