Lt. Commander
# 21
02-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krent View Post
Personally, I would like to see Commodore completely replace Rear Admiral Lower Half. It is a mouthful, and I feel like the npcs are making fun of me every time they use my full title: "Thank you Rear Admiral, Lower Half..." Then the Upper Half title can be just Rear Admiral.
I completely agree. Reading "Read Admiral, Lower Half" all the time feels clunky. Even if it was a canon rank (which It may be??) people would never use it in everyday conversation. O'Brien was "Chief" not "Chief Petty Officer" and I'm not certain anyone was addressed as "Lieutenant, Junior Grade" except maybe during introductions. I think the same would apply for RA Lower/Upper Half titles in conversation.

Personally, I wish Admiral rank NPC's would address us by our first names once we reach RA. In Star Trek, many of the Admiralty and even Captains were on a first-name basis. That being said, I know it's a lot of work for a small thing and will never happen. I just always thought it would be a nice touch.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
looking into this. depends on if commodore is already reserved for something else, but if not there is a possibility.
*starts dancing like crazy*

finaly some good news in an utterly ****** day.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-24-2011, 05:24 PM
As starfleet ranks are based on navy ranks, the "commodore" title was used in TOS because that was the official title for a 1 star admiral until the early 80s. They switched to lower/upper half because many 1 star admirals wanted to be recognized as admirals and not as a unique rank. This is because when addressing any rank of admiral, you address them as "admiral," whether they have 1 star or 4 stars, not their full title. Its an ego thing...

You address ensigns as ensigns, but both LTJGs and LTs are addressed "Lieutenant." Likewise, a LtCdr and Cdrs are both addressed as "commander" and captains are in fact, captains. It would be cool to have a "commodore" rank but they don't use it in any of the new series episodes because its outdated.

I must also point out that admiral Quinn should be the only fleet admiral. There is historically only 1 5-star admiral in a fleet. When we get a level cap increase, level 61 should only be "admiral."
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandras
*starts dancing like crazy*

finaly some good news in an utterly ****** day.
sorry to rain on the dance party - but it looks like we've reserved commodore for a future feature related to Fleets and Starbases. :\ so it is coming - just not as soon as this thread suggested.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-24-2011, 05:39 PM
I think I might agree.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Quote:
sorry to rain on the dance party - but it looks like we've reserved commodore for a future feature related to Fleets and Starbases. :\ so it is coming - just not as soon as this thread suggested.
This is great news! =]
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Quote:

I wonder....
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Quote:
I think this is still pretty great news
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Quote:
looking into this. depends on if commodore is already reserved for something else, but if not there is a possibility.
Oh come Dstahl what is game becoming. you guys planning on giving us things in the current timeline instead of all things that are not even used in order timeline. we all no the rank of commodore was stop use by starfleet why bring it in game. At this rate you guys will ne come up with any new ideas for the game.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellsarius
Oh come Dstahl what is game becoming. you guys planning on giving us things in the current timeline instead of all things that are not even used in order timeline. we all no the rank of commodore was stop use by starfleet why bring it in game. At this rate you guys will ne come up with any new ideas for the game.
It just wasn't used... there's little canon info to suggest it was phased out. The US navy did stop using it by TNG's time, so the show stopped as well. However, there is an image in this thread: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=200795 that shows some production notes with the rank of commodore.