Lt. Commander
# 1 Video Game Communities
02-24-2011, 09:25 AM
It's commonly understood that every video game player-base is different. So I'm wondering, what have you all noticed about the people who play the video games you enjoy?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2011, 10:00 AM
TOR community, hell stars wars community tends to be much more serious. If Jedi are more numerous drop the average age by about 10 years.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2011, 10:24 AM
People who play Star Trek Online don't read.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
People who play Star Trek Online don't read.
how dare you suggest star trek online players cant write.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Heh, I tend to get along better with people who realize that the story is just fiction and 90% accuracy is plenty enough to have a good time. When people start arguing about "canon" and "proper naval protcol" (which I still don't think matters since starfleet isn't the navy), I get bored and roam off. Plus I like Valias who has that smexy Orion avatar.

The one time I enjoyed arguing about a plot was trying to convince people that Fawkes in Fallout 3 was a female before being mutated. :p Then one of the devs responded to my claims and shot me down, which was still awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
how dare you suggest star trek online players cant write.
lol!

But I find that most of the ingame STO community is really quite as opposed to most MMOs I have played where the general chat is filled with dozens to hundreds of people all arguing with one another in one chat, in STO I find that if anyone is talking at all it is usually two to twelve of them, except on major patch days and even then the chat is not that swamped.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Actually, if there's one major difference, I'd have to say that people in STO are generally more helpful on the whole.

And although I was going to say something else, I'll refrain from jinxing it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
Heh, I tend to get along better with people who realize that the story is just fiction and 90% accuracy is plenty enough to have a good time. When people start arguing about "canon" and "proper naval protcol" (which I still don't think matters since starfleet isn't the navy), I get bored and roam off. Plus I like Valias who has that smexy Orion avatar.
i love arguing about canon and things that happen in star trek until people start taking it all too seriously. then it just makes me feel stupid for getting drawn into an argument about something thats 400 years in the future and not real.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredZero View Post
Actually, if there's one major difference, I'd have to say that people in STO are generally more helpful on the whole.

And although I was going to say something else, I'll refrain from jinxing it.
I've always generally got that feeling as well. I've been playing EVE for a few days now, and I've been spending much of my time hiding from pirates who are currently having a competition (complete with prizes) for whoever can kill the most noob players.

The Star Wars/Star Trek thing is fascinating to me, though. If they are more serious, I wonder why that's the case. There must be some fundamental difference between the player bodies!

*Sits in "Thinker" pose for hours*
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Well, EVE Online is a game where capitalism and power are the way to go, so the more money and power you accumulate, the bigger you are in the society.

Whereas in Star Trek, it's more of a team thing, you have more people out there who don't have to worry about being seen as a pansy/wuss or weak for helping out the noobs/scrubs. Of course, given that Star Trek has always been about exploration and intelligence rather than who has more guns and more wealth, it's natural that the players of an MMO based around it would embrace these values, and moreso even when the rest of the player base follows those same values (or at least Starfleet is from what we've seen).

That, and personally, I think the game also has a good Dev team behind it. Just my two cents. There's been a lot of (relatively speaking since I don't see much of it period) flak about bugs and stuff - but hey, at least we know they're on it.

Could be worse - *REDACTED TO PREVENT JINXING*