02-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naphl View Post
I want some 24th century love.
+ 1
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-24-2011, 12:50 PM
I thought TOS was actually a really bad show, it was just crappy. some episodes were good, but due to it being made so long ago and with such a low budget, it was really B-grade stuff, i'm sure if it was re-made today in the same lines as ST-XI, it would be a million times better, but I understand for a lot of people that's where they started with star trek, so it holds a special place for them.. me, it was the last series I watched out of all of them.

anyway, I, too, would like to see more futuristic things in the game
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
I don't think you'd be lynched per se - but realize the ST09 Film Universe would be a different IP license and one that wasn't being shopped around back in 2007-2008.
Oh, I know. It's a decision that would have had to have been made before the Abramsverse even existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
I thought TOS was actually a really bad show, it was just crappy. some episodes were good, but due to it being made so long ago and with such a low budget, it was really B-grade stuff, i'm sure if it was re-made today in the same lines as ST-XI, it would be a million times better, but I understand for a lot of people that's where they started with star trek, so it holds a special place for them.. me, it was the last series I watched out of all of them.

While some of the episodes of TOS dripped pure cheese, and sometimes it was the kind that's smelly without actually being a delicacy, I think its high water mark was pretty exceptionally high for its time and it still compares favorably to, say, Voyager and Enterprise. Even with dancing Spock.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Ooooh, you have an effigy to burn first? Those are fun.
Ha ha ha!

Lt. Commander
# 25
02-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Agreed. They need to give TNG/VOY/DS9 some love once they're done with the TOS pack. I want to see Galaxy, Intrepid, Defiant, and Sovereign interior packs once they're done with the TOS interior. Then they need to go back and maybe do a Connie refit interior (from the TOS movies).
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Quote:

What you've really got to do is compare it to the other shows of that era, look at what it was competing with. It might not seem like much by today's standards but when you watch something like the classic Green Hornet or Batman or whatever else, the difference is massive. TOS was just incredibly superior to its contemporaries, at least to start with. That's probably why it's the only one you can still catch on the air today, even after all this time.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupAJ1M View Post
All i'm seeing is TOS favoritism everywhere. TOS Phasers and Rifles, TOS Drozana, Horta, TOS Bridge and Interior sets. When are we 24th century fans gonna get some loving in the Cryptic Art department? :p
Did you know that T5 is packed full of TNG/DS9/VOY ships? All you have to do is leave ESD and you'll be surrounded by them.

Quote:

TV shows in the sixties were made with really, really small budgets; and you could not get by with CGI special effects like they do today. One thing that really set Star Trek The Real Series above so many other shows of the day was having screenplays written by science fiction authors of the day rather than a fixed team of soap opera hacks, as was done in the lesser quality series that followed.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Quote:
I have an assignment for you. Go back and watch the first two seasons of TNG. Then come back and talk to me about TOS not aging well.

The reality is that despite the technology limits on FX at the time, the writing on the first two seasons of TOS was rock solid, and was some amazing sci-fi. The really great episodes of the other shows are the ones in which the writing approached what they did on TOS.

But in terms of looking silly, give me a TOS phaser over a TNG 'dustbuster' any day of the week. And yeah...seven seasons and one movie of a dude wearing a banana comb on his face. 'Nuff said.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post

But in terms of looking silly, give me a TOS phaser over a TNG 'dustbuster' any day of the week. And yeah...seven seasons and one movie of a dude wearing a banana comb on his face. 'Nuff said.
My baby sister had those. I never knew what they were called. Thanks for that.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-24-2011, 03:12 PM
I feel it. I really want to do some Kazon bashing