Lt. Commander
# 1 RedShirt
02-24-2011, 01:29 PM
I am curious, is RedShirt only available to the Dev's and the random people they like or is there a place you can sign up to be considered for a part in it.

I have been a subscriber since Pre-Launch, and been faithfully following it since its early days with Cryptic (Anybody else remember the Kobyashi Marus?, Cryptic should bring em back) and even back at Perpetual.

So I'd really like to get in on it to try to help make STO a better game, though Stahl, you are making it awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2011, 01:31 PM
I believe RedShirt is the internal server and where the Foundry was being tested for Closed Beta
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aevn
I believe RedShirt is the internal server and where the Foundry was being tested for Closed Beta
I know what it is, but I've read thing where people got invited to it, so I was trying to figure out how the devs get people in.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2011, 01:35 PM
RedShirt is currently the Foundry testbed for non-cryptic people. At least, that's what they have the public testers focusing on.

To my knowledge, you are invited to RS in a rather clandestine way that involves an email from a developer. I'm not sure if they're opening RS up to any more people, but I think the best way to get onto it is to play Tribble, be active on the forums as far as bug reporting/helping players, and being generally a good player.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't think access to it is a time of service thing. Best I can tell you it has more to do with constructive community work, some prior beta testing creds and maybe getting your name pulled out of the sorting hat. Redshirt is where they tend to test alpha builds of things before they let the unwashed masses get at it so I imagine it will always be an limited exclusive club.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Redshirt is more than likey their second tier testing server... once an internal is deemed ready for larger scale testing, it gets passed to a group of trusted, external testers (that are most likely bound by an NDA) for further testing and external feedback.

This is how it was for a couple of other projects I worked on, but I could be wrong. Redshirt may just be DStahl's coat closet, for all we know.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
As devs have said before, RedShirt is where unstable builds go and is not always up. Basically, if you wanted to test an unstable set of updates to the Foundry, a week before they hit Tribble and locked from talking about specifics under NDA, that would be the place to do it. As soon as stuff is stable, it's going to Tribble.

So all I'll say is, don't feel excluded. It's all about getting advanced feedback on updates in an unstable, potentially very non-user friendly state so that the updates work better before everyone can try to break them on Tribble.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2011, 01:45 PM
The people who are selected to test on Redshirt are people that are already testing on Tribble and providing valuable feedback. Thats not to say that every single person who does that will get selected, but that is the group of people they choose from. So to put it simply, if you want to get chosen to test on Redshirt, you need to be actively testing on Tribble.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
As devs have said before, RedShirt is where unstable builds go and is not always up. Basically, if you wanted to test an unstable set of updates to the Foundry, a week before they hit Tribble and locked from talking about specifics under NDA, that would be the place to do it. As soon as stuff is stable, it's going to Tribble.

So all I'll say is, don't feel excluded. It's all about getting advanced feedback on updates in an unstable, potentially very non-user friendly state so that the updates work better before everyone can try to break them on Tribble.
Sounds kinda fun to me
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the answers everybody! It was quite helpful.